Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you could have only ONE card....

tag
MJ-san
Frequent Contributor

Re: If you could have only ONE card....

Unfortunately I don't think "one card" is a realistic thing to shoot for.

As others have said, you definitely want to spread your business with a few banks - across a few different card networks - so that when you travel, if anything goes pear-shaped, you have alternatives. 

My strategy (for a few decades) has been two wallets - one with "infrequent cards" and my regular day-to-day wallet.

In the everyday wallet...

• 1 card for high-value rewards/privileges for travel (Amex Platinum)
  • 1 card for high-value travel earnings and no foreign trans fees (CSR)
  • 1 card for grocery/everyday (unfortunately, because of rotating rewards, I end up having to switch out quarterly which one earns the best...). Maybe a 2nd depending on how the rewards are working. These 2 will be BoA Cash Rewards, Amex BCE, Discover, Chase Freedom, or Sears MC
  • 1 card for restaurants (same thing... have to rotate quarterly, or default to Uber Visa for 4%)
  • 1 card for everything else (Citi DC, 2% back)
  • ...and my Costco Visa which is for gas

and in the "pull out when needed" wallet...

• 1 card with a high limit, low APR to use for anything that I need a few months to revolve (BoA Visa, 6.49%... and when they offer good 0% BT offers on occasion, even better). 
  • Plus I do believe in store cards when they actually deliver great value, i.e. Target 5%, Lowes 5%, Home Depot deferred billing, Nordstrom 3%+ (depends on when they have double rewards days), Steinmart 4% (when they have double reward days), BBB/WorldMarket 5%, Amazon 5%, TJX Rewards 5%, etc... but I don't normally carry them

This works for me because I'm both a rewards freak and organized. My husband *HATES* the rotating cards, but appreciates that I get us back several thousand $s in rewards every year, so he puts up with having to have a "cheat sheet" to know when to use which card where Smiley Happy  

Message 21 of 53
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@MJ-san wrote:

As others have said, you definitely want to spread your business with a few banks - across a few different card networks - so that when you travel, if anything goes pear-shaped, you have alternatives. 

My strategy (for a few decades) has been two wallets - one with "infrequent cards" and my regular day-to-day wallet.

In the everyday wallet...

• 1 card for high-value rewards/privileges for travel (Amex Platinum)
  • 1 card for high-value travel earnings and no foreign trans fees (CSR)
  • 1 card for grocery/everyday (unfortunately, because of rotating rewards, I end up having to switch out quarterly which one earns the best...). Maybe a 2nd depending on how the rewards are working. These 2 will be BoA Cash Rewards, Amex BCE, Discover, Chase Freedom, or Sears MC
  • 1 card for restaurants (same thing... have to rotate quarterly, or default to Uber Visa for 4%)
  • 1 card for everything else (Citi DC, 2% back)

and in the "pull out when needed" wallet...

• 1 card with a high limit, low APR to use for anything that I need a few months to revolve (BoA Visa, 6.49%... and when they offer good 0% BT offers on occasion, even better). 
  • Plus I do believe in store cards when they actually deliver great value, i.e. Target 5%, Lowes 5%, Home Depot deferred billing, Nordstrom 3%+ (depends on when they have double rewards days), Steinmart 4% (when they have double reward days), BBB/WorldMarket 5%, Amazon 5%, TJX Rewards 5%, etc... but I don't normally carry them

This works for me because I'm both a rewards freak and organized. My husband *HATES* the rotating cards, but appreciates that I get us back several thousand $s in rewards every year, so he puts up with having to have a "cheat sheet" to know when to use which card where Smiley Happy  

Good things to think about for sure. I like how organized you keep things LOL. This is definitely a hypothetical—I’m not planning on going down to only one card

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 22 of 53
vV35Hszm
Contributor

@MJ-san wrote:

I think I could get down to only carrying one as long as I have the rest loaded in Apple Pay.

Message 23 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will play the Chase Sapphire Reserve but man the Amex Gold is close.

Message 24 of 53
trusty
Frequent Contributor

If they ever came out with a card that had 5% cash back on all purchases, you better believe I'd only be using that card - aside from token purchases to keep the other cards open.

Otherwise, my ideal wallet would have a total of 5 cards, each with 100k limits.

Message 25 of 53
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@trusty wrote:

If they ever came out with a card that had 5% cash back on all purchases, you better believe I'd only be using that card - aside from token purchases to keep the other cards open.

Otherwise, my ideal wallet would have a total of 5 cards, each with 100k limits.

Wouldn’t that be fabulous? Lol. Somebody make that card

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 26 of 53
vV35Hszm
Contributor

@MJ-san wrote:

A lot of people don't know it but the Costco card is probably the best for purchasing travel... it doesn't have the high cash back but it includes free trip insiurance and not many card do!

Message 27 of 53
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@vV35Hszm wrote:

@MJ-san wrote:

A lot of people don't know it but the Costco card is probably the best for purchasing travel... it doesn't have the high cash back but it includes free trip insiurance and not many card do!

It's a very good no-extra-AF card (I like mine) and it does have some travel insurance...but those travel protections are much weaker than what many AF cards offer.

As far as merchandise protections (return, warranty, price, etc.) Costco really is one of the best (even including AF products).

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 28 of 53
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@rbentley wrote:

My library card.

Along those lines, I would think a Social Security card would win.

Joking aside, CSR for travel rewards, a Visa for Costco, and good customer service.

Interesting. Seems like a lot of people love the CSR

And for good reason.  Let me add my name to the CSR list.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 29 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

Easy; my USAA Limitless Cash Rewards Visa. 2.5% cash back on everything.

Message 30 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.