cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you could have only ONE card....

Your FICO® Scores can impact your loan interest rates, terms, approvals and more.
Moderator Emeritus

Re: If you could have only ONE card....

Put another person down for the CSR.

Apparently getting an extra 1 point per dollar for Apple Pay currently which I didn't even know, jeez it's my default spender now for places I can use that on... the crazy good tequila I had at a buddy's place, I bought some online with the CSR instead of the FU, and that turned out to be a happy accident on Christmas Smiley Happy.

        
Message 31 of 53
Established Member

Easy. My BECU Visa.  I have the longest relationship with them, plus it's my highest limit card.  I travel to Hong Kong and mainland China annually, and it's accepted in more places than my AMEX.  Where it isn't, I'll whip out my UnionPay debit card.

3/10/2019

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."

Message 32 of 53
Established Contributor

Citi DC.

I can't predict my spending will be the same forever, Amex is not accepted everywhere.

In the end, a double cash back is probably safest card to hold on to.

✈Propel ⛽wf-V ⛾Gold ☸CSP ☸IT ⛪ ☎QS ☎DC $ΔGold ☎CFU ☸Amzn-V/A ☸CF ☸ED ⛪
Message 33 of 53
Valued Contributor

My BEFCU VISA, easily the best card in my in my current card collection at 5.49% F go-to APR plus rewards, and no BT or cash advance fees.  Second-place and runner-up would be my PACU MC, at 7.50% F go-to APR, 1.5% rewards, also with no BT or cash advance fees.  Third place would be my BoA Cash Rewards card at 9.99% F go-to APR, with the 3-2-1 rewards and with the 3% category upgrade options coming in January.  These are the cards that I regard to be truly irrepleacable, for me.  With only a few rare exceptions, all of the other cards in my card collection I consider to be replaceable.

Message 34 of 53
Mega Contributor

Let's up our game people:   If you could only have zero cards, which would it be?  Oh wait.....

Message 35 of 53
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Let's up our game people:   If you could only have zero cards, which would it be?  Oh wait.....

That’s a tough one.... I’m gonna have to go with none

Amex BCE: 18k
Discover It: 17.2k
Citi DC: 4.7k
BBVA Compass ClearPoints: 4k
US Bank Cash +: 1k
Capital One SavorOne: 1k
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Once you go Berner, you never go back.
Message 36 of 53
Established Contributor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

@trusty wrote:

If they ever came out with a card that had 5% cash back on all purchases, you better believe I'd only be using that card - aside from token purchases to keep the other cards open.

Otherwise, my ideal wallet would have a total of 5 cards, each with 100k limits.

Wouldn’t that be fabulous? Lol. Somebody make that card

USB Altitude Reserve comes pretty close to that for me at 4.5x. I use the card only with Samsung Pay, which is accepted almost everywhere I use it. So, I get 3x on all mobile wallet purchases, and then 1.5x when you redeem points for travel, which is all I use them for. 

For me, it's a 4.5x card with decent travel benefits.

BofA (PR, AS) | Barclays (Uber) | Cap One (Savor) | Chase (CSR, CF, CFU, CIC, Amazon) | Citi (Prestige, DC, Costco, Costco Biz, AA Biz) | Discover | PenFed (Pathfinder) | Synchrony (PP 2%, Lowe's, Amazon, PP Credit) | US Bank (AR, Cash+)
Message 37 of 53
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Been using my Langley Fed CU Visa Select exclusively this past month due to the running promotion they'll give me $1 a day everyday i use it. I am actually liking the idea of only using one card and am seriously thinking of picking one card to use for all of 2019 . Many credit changes needed in my life this might best.

For sake of this thread if i could only use one card i would have to pick my Navy Fed Cash Rewards. ( Paypal 2% or Citi DC 2% would be most optimal but with my spend not much difference in 1.5/2%) Of all my cards this would and most likely should meet my needs. Its my highest limit, thus utilization is covered, gives me some rewards, and has a nice low 11.74% apr, so carrying any balance wouldnt be end of world. Unlike other cc's if i needed some cash i can use that feature and not be viewed negatively.
Message 38 of 53
Frequent Contributor

If I had to go with zero cards, it would be rough... Android Pay gets me Food Lion and BP. Don't know what I'd do about Dollar General (I have a vice I won't mention, as it would positively ID me. 😁)
2017-09-09 FICO 08: EQ 677, TU 640, EX 705
2018-06-16 FICO 08: EQ 688, TU 718, EX 718
2018-11-17 FICO 08: EX 725
2018-11-07 FICO 08: TU 730
Gardening again until... March/April 2019(I want a RAV4)
Message 39 of 53
Valued Contributor

My one card would have to be the Amex Gold.  4x on dining and groceries means I get free travel more quickly than with any other card.

Sure acceptance is a problem, but it's not so bad here, and I don't travel often enough for it to be an everyday concern.

If I could do two cards It would be the Amex Gold and Citi DC.  I could be comfortable with that.  I could cut up all the others and wouldn't feel too broken up about it.

Message 40 of 53