cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you could only have three rewards cards...

tag
SpiritSoul11
Established Member

If you could only have three rewards cards...

So I'm new to this, but I want to get your opinions about the top three rewards cards you would have and their other benefits.

For me, I don't believe in paying annual fees, and having a low APR doesn't matter since I like to pay mine off every month. 

So the top 3 for me at the current moment (and I am willing to change my mind with your help) would be:

1. Navy Federal More Rewards American Express

3X points at restaurants and on food delivery
3X points at supermarkets
3X points on gas and transit
1X points on everything else

2. Apple Card

3X points at Apple

2X points everywhere when you use Apple Pay

No fees

3. Chase Freedom Flex

5% in revolving bonus categories

5% on travel booked through Chase

3% cash back at restaurants and drugstores

1% on other purchases.

New cardholders also get 5% back on up to $12,000 in grocery store purchases in the first year (not including Target or Walmart)

Earn a $200 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.

Let me know what you think, and your picks.

Revolving

Installment

Accounts
Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Re: If you could only have three rewards cards...

I'd do AOD (3% everywhere), or if you don't want to jump through the hoops to get AOD, I'd do a 2% cash back card instead of Apple Card. Otherwise, your list looks good for a three-card, no-AF setup. You could replace the Chase card with Discover and it would be about the same. You could also get the US Bank card that lets you choose two 5% categories, but those categories are very specific (for example, one category is "fast food", vs the rotating categories are "dining out").

As for annual fees, it's often just a matter of adding up whether it saves/gains you more money than it costs, though sometimes, subjective factors come into play. For example, on my Amex Platinum Card ($550 AF), I get a $150 statement credit from the CAP program, I got about $120 in statement credits in the last six months from their $20/month streaming service credit, I just added $50/2x Best Buy and Home Depot offers that will save me $200, and in the next six months, I am sure I will use the $30/month PayPal credit every month for $180. So, they paid me $100 to have the card, and I also get its other benefits, such as lounge access and hotel status (not that those things are worth as much in the covid era, which is why they provided those other benefits, but it's still more than zero). Sometimes the math works, sometimes it doesn't. JMO.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 2 of 38
SpiritSoul11
Established Member

3% cashback on everything. That's impressive. You do have a lot of good points for annual fees, but sometimes I just don't use the benefits and wouldn't get a return. Thanks for your awesome answer.

Revolving

Installment

Accounts
Message 3 of 38
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Also forgot to mention, if you have or want a Costco membership already, the Citi Costco Visa is a strong contender. Or Sam's Club MasterCard. However, both require a membership, and if you were to cancel membership, you'd also be canceling the card and losing any rewards you had accumulated that year, so they do have some caveats. JMO, lots of options, though!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 4 of 38
fatcomic
Regular Contributor

1. AOD 3% cash back card

• Dont have, it but this is a wish list right

2. Discover

• 5% rotating categories

3. Chase Freedom Flex

• 5% rotating categories

In all honestly, the AOD would be sufficient.   I would take the ease of 3% on everything vs keeping up with which cards to use when and where.   

Message 5 of 38
Andypanda
Established Contributor

My 3 would be:

us bank cash+, as long as it stays a visa so i can use it as at costco:

amex gold, like to have 1 charge card

citi dc.

Message 6 of 38
SpiritSoul11
Established Member

I'll have to look into that. Not sure I want my membership tied up in a card, but I'll consider. Thanks!

Revolving

Installment

Accounts
Message 7 of 38
SpiritSoul11
Established Member

AOD seems popular, but not sure of an easy way for my to qualift for membership. Any ideas?

Revolving

Installment

Accounts
Message 8 of 38
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@SpiritSoul11 wrote:

AOD seems popular, but not sure of an easy way for my to qualift for membership. Any ideas?

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/AOD-Visa-Siggy-Discussion-Thread/td-p/6005027

For your reading 

Message 9 of 38
SpiritSoul11
Established Member

Thanks!

Revolving

Installment

Accounts
Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.