cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you could only have three rewards cards...

tag
minski
Established Contributor

Re: If you could only have three rewards cards...

1) PCMCU Mastercard Platinum Rewards Card. 5% cash back on everything. I think limit is up to $5000 a month, and you need to meet conditions to waive annual fee. I am almost tempted to move just to be eligible for this card. Lol.

2) AODFCU 3% cash back card as back up.

3) Either the no-AF FNBO TravElite card for $100 airline incidentals OR Delta AmEx for free baggage.

If I had #1, I really wouldn't need another card but #3. But I don't have #1 so now I have almost 20 cards. 🙈
Message 31 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@minski wrote:
1) PCMCU Mastercard Platinum Rewards Card. 5% cash back on everything. I think limit is up to $5000 a month, and you need to meet conditions to waive annual fee. I am almost tempted to move just to be eligible for this card. Lol.

2) AODFCU 3% cash back card as back up.

3) Either the no-AF FNBO TravElite card for $100 airline incidentals OR Delta AmEx for free baggage.

If I had #1, I really wouldn't need another card but #3. But I don't have #1 so now I have almost 20 cards. 🙈

PCMCU is $1K a month. 

Message 32 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fatcomic wrote:

1. AOD 3% cash back card

• Dont have, it but this is a wish list right

2. Discover

• 5% rotating categories

3. Chase Freedom Flex

• 5% rotating categories

In all honestly, the AOD would be sufficient.   I would take the ease of 3% on everything vs keeping up with which cards to use when and where.   

I would second @fatcomic  list.

It's very simplistic and no annual fees, which I prefer. Do not mind the AMEX Gold in my signature

If Chase Freedom or Discover is not giving you the 5%, just use the 3%. 

You just would need to remember what quarter you are on. Sometimes I would forget and drop down to the Unicorn Card (AOD), by just convenience. Then punch myself not getting that 5%.

Now if you hate them rotating categories, you can simply replace the Chase Freedom and Discover It with.

1.) US Bank Cash+

2.) A Elan "Max Cash" Card ( You can reference @Aim_High post https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Elan-quot-Max-Cash-quot-vs-US-Bank-Cash/td-p/6198795 Very informative post on that)

Message 33 of 38
TSlop
Valued Contributor

If I could only have 3, I'd take:

BoA PR - for traveling, dining, and decent catch all (with Preferred Rewards)

A hotel card - good for free night every year

Freedom Flex - good to have a 5% rotator

If the hotel card is a HH Surpass/Aspire, this would also give you a Visa, MC and Amex.

Message 34 of 38
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@fatcomic wrote:

1. AOD 3% cash back card

• Dont have, it but this is a wish list right

2. Discover

• 5% rotating categories

3. Chase Freedom Flex

• 5% rotating categories

In all honestly, the AOD would be sufficient.   I would take the ease of 3% on everything vs keeping up with which cards to use when and where.   

I would second @fatcomic  list.

It's very simplistic and no annual fees, which I prefer. Do not mind the AMEX Gold in my signature

If Chase Freedom or Discover is not giving you the 5%, just use the 3%. 

You just would need to remember what quarter you are on. Sometimes I would forget and drop down to the Unicorn Card (AOD), by just convenience. Then punch myself not getting that 5%.

Now if you hate them rotating categories, you can simply replace the Chase Freedom and Discover It with.

1.) US Bank Cash+

2.) A Elan "Max Cash" Card ( You can reference @Aim_High post https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Elan-quot-Max-Cash-quot-vs-US-Bank-Cash/td-p/6198795 Very informative post on that)

Currently I am using:

1. Navy Flagship

2.  Freedom

3.  Discover

Agree with having AOD, Freedom and Discover for the average/most of the population including myself,  if I already had an AOD signature.

I was just thinking about this topic this past weekend. 

My first preference would be the above since I already have Discover and the Freedom.  I will app for the AOD Signature card next followed by a Chase Sapphire card (most likey CSR) to increase the value of my freedom rewards - I usually fly the family out for 3 get-aways each year.  That usually come to 4 seats and 3 large luggage bags

I am still on the fence about Amex as far as the best way to accumulate and use MR points but I'd probably choose

1.  AOD Signature

2.  Schwab Amex Platinum (and open a brokerage account with them)

3.  ...and I guess the BCP.  I would need help with this 3rd selection choice, if anyone is willing Smiley Happy ... I know, more reasearch and use the search bar Smiley Embarassed

Anyway, those are what I have in mind.  If going with the Amex setup I will still keep and use my 5% cards where possible.

Message 35 of 38
collics
Established Contributor

(only considering the cards I have)

1. NFCU More Rewards- 3x/3% on basically 80% of what my money is spend on: food and gas.

2. Apple Card- Apple fangirl

3. NFCU Cash Rewards- it's my highest limit; she ain't going nowhere haha

BK 7 Discharged May 2014. Removal Feb 2024! Let the countdown begin!!
Last App: Apr 2023
Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 36 of 38
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

Schwab AmEx Platinum

AmEx Gold

Citi Costco

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 37 of 38
Aim_High
Super Contributor

As a variation I mentioned on my "Ultimate 2-card combo" thread in Smorgasboard, and if I wasn't concerned about lack of lender diversity, I'll throw in a hard-to-beat triad.  With Bank of America's Preferred Rewards program with Platinum Honors ($100K+ invested), card earnings are multiplied by 1.75.  So I would choose the Bank of America Premium Rewards card and (2) Customized Cash Rewards cards. 

So with just (3) cards, you would earn:  

• 5.25% on (2) selected categories: 

* gas, online shopping, dining, travel, drug stores, or home improvement/furnishings

* Your selected category can be changed as often as monthly

• 3.50% on grocery stores and warehouse clubs

(*Capped at $5K/quarter or $20K annually for above areas combined on (2) Customized Cash Rewards)

• 3.50% on dining and travel, uncapped on Premium  Rewards
  • 2.625% on everything else, uncapped on Premium Rewards

... and just one $95 AF that is completely reimbursed with TSA Global Entry credit ($100/4 years or average $25/year) plus $100 annual airline fee credit.  Effectively, they are paying you $30 a year on average to carry the card!  Smiley Very Happy 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.