cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you have a car, what situations do you use Uber/Lyft?

tag
shoegal
Valued Contributor

Re: If you have a car, what situations do you use Uber/Lyft?

@Anonymous wrote:

I drive a lot on my own.

But...Uber is pretty useful for me every time I travel, I don't rent a car when im traveling so I pretty much uber everywhere. Another time I may use it is when I need to go downtown in the city for whatever reason and I don't know how long the wait will be in whatever errand im doing down there  So. I wont drive on my own unless its something thats going to be short cause i'll end up constantly worrying about  running back and forth to feed the meter, etc. The parking garages are too expensive to use also. Then you add in the factor of having to find parking blah blah, it;s hectic. 

BTW, what's everyones Uber passenger rating?

5!! Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Anytime i plan on having more than one alcholic beverage. My job requires me to have a spotless license so i dont play around when it comes to that.

When i travel and the places arent very street parking friendly or especially if the hotels charde like 40 bucks a day for parking. I just save the rental money and parking money and uber.

My uber rating is 4.63 and ive qualified for uber VIP for using the app often.

what's your experience like with UBER VIP? Is it much better? What are the diffrences you see? 

I have Uber VIP throuhg my amex plat. I never used it yet, I always tend to click UberX for some reason lol

Message 12 of 31
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

I use Uber if I am going to go meet friends for a drink, that way I don't need to worry about it.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 13 of 31
eddie84
Valued Contributor

I use Uber when I don't feel like driving.  It could be because of the back pain, parking is a pain or any other pain-related reasons. Smiley Tongue

Message 14 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've only used Uber a few times and that was when I went to Boston last month. City driving and I don't mix so I didn't rent a car. We took Uber from the airport to the hotel and then back again a few days later, had one take us to TD Bank for some business then walked back, had one pick us up after the Ortiz Roast at the Hard Rock Cafe and after the ballgame the next night.

Best thing was my Chase Amazon (of all cards) had an offer for 50% off my first two Uber rides charged to the card so I used that offer for the airport trips.

My son lives in Seattle and doesn't have a car so he takes Uber everywhere. When I went out there to visit last year, we took them to restaurants, ballgame, downtown, etc.

I apparently don't have a rating yet since nothing shows in my account. Maybe you have to take a certain number of rides before you get one?? Who knows?

Message 15 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Drinking

If I take public transportation out and then 1) don't feel like dealing on the way home and just want to get there 2) the weather turns serious and I don't want to walk from the train 3) subway is experiencing service problems

Sending family that visits to the airport if I can't drive them myself

Going places where parking is a pain

Skipping a car rental when traveling

Those few odd areas of Manhattan where it would take 3 transfers and some walking to get there by subway, but a car ride is like 15 minutes

Drinking Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

My boyfriend and I share 1 car for now, so on occasion, I'll take a Lyft from the train station to my house (less than a mile) if he's unable to pick me up.

I was just commenting to my friend the other day about this - but my kids use Uber/Lyft more than I do.  They have never taken a regular taxi but are constantly using Uber/Lyft to go to the movies, practice, a friend's house.

I also travel for work about once a month so instead of having to deal with the hassle of renting a car - 99% of the time I'll just Uber.

Message 17 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only uber if I have been crawling into a bottle.  I am a little irritated that it's cheap to get TO events, but the trip home costs a bunch more.  My college-aged kids use it all the time, they're both "thirsty" and I figure it's a lot cheaper than legal bills and an OVI/DUI. 

Message 18 of 31
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

I have never used it. When I go vacation I drive so I have my own car. Seems pricey, imo. I'll take inconvenience over cost any day..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 19 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use it mostly going to or from airports, or if I'm feeling lazy and don't want to drive to work. Amex Platinum monthly Uber credit is nice for that.
Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.