cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you have a car, what situations do you use Uber/Lyft?

tag
Berk
Established Contributor

Re: If you have a car, what situations do you use Uber/Lyft?

I travel a lot for work so when I want to go out to eat and drink I use Uber rather than the rental. Thankfully, my company encourages this so they have no issue paying for my Uber rides. 

Doesn't get any better than that.

Message 21 of 31
wasCB14
Super Contributor

When no one wants to be designated driver, or when I want to avoid long-term parking (train stations and airports).

My Uber rating has suffered lately (despite my "apology tips") due to times I order the car but my drunker and less-Uber-experienced friends annoy the driver.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 22 of 31
Uh

- avoided airport parking fees (big one)

- planned nights out not wanting to risk a DUI

- not risking car being broken in to on the 'other' side of the city where mall parking security is pathetic

- avoided using rental cars at the other end of the flight (I always get lost anyway even with map apps)

@CommanderLexa wrote:

When I was without my car recently, Uber was a lifesaver.  Now that I have my car back, I'm curious how it might be still useful.  Other than using Uber to concerts or sporting events where parking may be a pain, what situations have you found Uber/Lyft useful?

Gardening until 2019

Ficos low 600s
Message 23 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't usually use Uber, I drive myself wherever I want to go. However, a few days ago, a friend need a ride. I couldn't do it cause I was working so I called her an uber instead.
Message 24 of 31
cmm89
Frequent Contributor

Whenever I plan on having more than a drink or two. Also, when traveling. Mainly for when I'm out drinking, though. If I get a DUI in my career, I'm done-zo.

What I use (& strongly recommend): Chase Sapphire Reserve | BofA/ML (Premium Rewards VS, Cash Rewards VS, Merrill+ VS) | AmEx (Amazon Prime Business)

What I have: NFCU | PenFed | General Electric CU | Wright Patt CU | Discover | BBVA | Apple Card (GS)

Total CL with Bank of America = $100,000 (Platinum Honors Merrill Client). I am a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioner, so feel free to message me if you have any planning/credit questions.

EQ 759, EX 765, TU 771 (06/10/2022)

I started with scores in the 400s in 2016. This forum is a Godsend--focus on the journey, be patient, and you'll definitely get there no matter the circumstances!

Message 25 of 31
Sanjo812
Contributor

I use Uber if I’m going to be away for a while and it works out cheaper than parking at the airport. Outside of that, my last few trips to Toronto and NYC I used Uber / Lyft for rides to get somewhere faster than public transportation. 

Eight Twelve Consulting
Message 26 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've only used Uber a few times, mostly when my old car (a 2001 Ford Focus that was on its last legs by 2016) was in the repair shop. Since I bought my present car, I think it unlikely I'll be using Uber except in case of transport emergency (I did use it one time last year when my commuter train was seriously delayed due to major mechanical problems).

Message 27 of 31
kimbersleep
Contributor

If it is cheaper to Uber to/from the airport than to park our car there, like for our recent 2-week trip to Europe, we Uber to/from.

Anytime we are going somewhere where parking or traffic will be a nightmare, like an NFL game in my city which does not have a parking lot or structure for the stadium, we Uber.

When traveling to places where we mostly walk or use public transport, Uber comes in handy for trips after dark or if the weather isn't great for waiting.
04/20/17 - Fico Score 8: EQ 695, TU 689, EX 728; Mortgage: EQ 731, TU 740, EX 815 [Starting Point on MyFico]
05/09/18 - Fico Score 8: EQ 827, TU 821, EX 811; Mortgage: EQ 815, TU 795, EX 822 [Latest MyFico 3B]
Message 28 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Only when going out for serious drinking.  On the way back it is cheaper to use a cab as the Uber rates get jacked up at closing time and it easier to just jump in a cab. 

Message 29 of 31
irunfromcredit
Frequent Contributor

Funny you mention uber, I've used it quite a bit lately and I have a car as well. Last week used it on my way home as my commuter train was "stuck" and I didn't want to wait. So I requested uber. Again last week, I was out to dinner with colleagues late and didn't want to take the commuter train home. And of course just two days ago when I don't want to drive and I've had one or two drinks, to be safe I Uber'd it home. Smiley Happy
Scores 8/25/2017~ TU: 753 / EXP: 742 / EQ: 726
Goal: 770's or higher by end of 2017
Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.