Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you knew then what you know now...

tag
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

If you knew then what you know now...

Curious what kinds of silly credit mistakes you guys have made before you knew as much about the ins and outs of credit as you know now.

I've got lots, but here's one of my, eermmm... "favorites".

Years ago, in the early 2010's, I used to take my paycheck into Chase every week to deposit it with a bank teller. Almost every time, they would tell me "Just to let you know, you're prequalified for such and such card if you're interested," and every time I would sigh at what I perceived to be an annoying sales pitch and would just say "No, just here to deposit my check, thanks."

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Re: If you knew then what you know now...

My by far biggest one is waaaay back when I got my first card after college.  It was from a local CU (of which I'm still a member) for a small SL, and I didn't manage it very well.  I would charge stuff to it, mostly little things, if I was short on funds with the idea that I would pay it back "later".  I maxed it out after about two years of that, and it got closed a few months later for being overlimit.  My State Farm agent upsold me on one of their cc's for a balance transfer, and I moved back in with my parents for about a year to pay it off.  That taught me some big lessons about how to use credit, most especially that if you are going to carry a balance, you need a budget and a plan to pay it back.  I've been a mostly strict transactor ever since.

Message 2 of 13
AZ-Jeff
New Contributor

My silly credit mistake (mostly ignorance)  was that I thought if I paid the minimum balance, and didn't make any other purchases, I could pay off the balanced owed. My dad explained it would take many, many years because interest is added to the balance. It was later I realized he was correct. Now credit card statements show you how long it will take and how much interest you will pay. Didn't have that when I started my credit journey.

Message 3 of 13
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

• After having my secured card for over a year, I applied for a gas station credit card thinking my scores wouldn't support a real credit card. In retrospect, I had scores and solid history, I probably could've skipped the gas card and apply for the Amex BCE that I got a whole year after that. Now the gas card is my oldest active account and it sits there unused almost always.

• Also, after 2 years of solid credit history, I app'd for 2 cards and waited another to add another card. In retrospect, I should have had 2 cards and a 1.5 years of AAOA, app'd for 3 cards, and then 6 months later app'd for 3 more.
    • My strategy of waiting a long while in between apps is great for maximizing scores and SL's but is not great for building a strong root AAOA. I'm just now over 4 years AAOA after ~9 years of credit history. Had I applied for my entire profile by year 4, my AAOA would probably be over 6 years at this point. 
"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 4 of 13
blindambition
Senior Contributor

My biggest credit card mistake. All the wasted money on Gucci, LV, D&G, and too many other labels in my 20's. Money that could've been wisely invested.

While recouping some money on clothes on aftermarket. Clothes make you look good, but not a wise investment.

Message 5 of 13
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@AZ-Jeff wrote:

My silly credit mistake (mostly ignorance)  was that I thought if I paid the minimum balance, and didn't make any other purchases, I could pay off the balanced owed. My dad explained it would take many, many years because interest is added to the balance. It was later I realized he was correct. Now credit card statements show you how long it will take and how much interest you will pay. Didn't have that when I started my credit journey.

20-30 years, in most cases Smiley Surprised

Message 6 of 13
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@SecretAzure wrote:
  • Also, after 2 years of solid credit history, I app'd for 2 cards and waited another to add another card. In retrospect, I should have had 2 cards and a 1.5 years of AAOA, app'd for 3 cards, and then 6 months later app'd for 3 more.
    • My strategy of waiting a long while in between apps is great for maximizing scores and SL's but is not great for building a strong root AAOA. I'm just now over 4 years AAOA after ~9 years of credit history. Had I applied for my entire profile by year 4, my AAOA would probably be over 6 years at this point. 

That's a great point. I used that strategy when I rebuilt my credit years ago, and it helped a lot with maintaining a long AAOA when applying for new cards. That actually brings me to another lesson I learned the hard way:

When I was younger, 20ish years old, I (like many of us) had poor credit habits, and eventually I just gave up on paying anything at all, and let everything default. That in and of itself is an obvious screw-up, but the biggest lesson I learned from that is that even if you have to fall behind and let stuff go into default, don't let everything go into default! Keep at least one or two accounts current - it makes rebuilding later MUCH EASIER.

When I screwed up my credit again about 4-5 years ago, I took that lesson to heart and kept my car and my Citi credit card current, while everything else went into default. Once I started rebuilding, it was sooooooooo much easier with already having 2 open, good-standing, aged accounts on my report. As soon as I paid off my last delinquent, I was able to completely skip the whole secured card / predatory lender phase of rebuilding, and go straight into Chase Sapphire territory. That strategy knocked YEARS off of how long it would've taken to rebuild.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

so many!

I wouldn't have said yes to applying for a store card just to impress the clerk, who I'm sure could not have cared less. 20 year old me was dumb.

I would have product changed or canceled my Capital One Platinum ages ago.

I would have kept open some older cards that I closed for no good reason.

I would have avoided a lot of useless spending and interest...

I would have activated my Chase Freedom's 5% categories for all the years I just didn't bother.

I would have loved to have known about utilization way back in the day. That alone would have been great.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are a few... 

1) I always carried a balance on my cards. I was under the mistaken belief that credit cards are meant to carry a balance so I did. The only time my cards were both PIF was when my grandmother paid them off for my birthday and Christmas (which happened twice). If I could go back and start over, I would PIF and actually keep a budget like I do now. 

2) I took cash advances on my BoA card at some exorbitant interest rate and back then they applied payments to the lowest APR first so I was paying whatever egregious APR for the whole time. I would have not taken cash advances. 

3) I only had two major cards, one with BoA and one with US Bank, both no frills cards. I would have had three and had at least one of them be a rewards card. 

4) I would not have bought a $32K car. I loved my Fusion but I was out of my mind to make an $8K down payment between two of my credit cards and finance $24K at 0% for 72 months. That $333.84 payment plus ~$120 for the lowest Progressive plan I could have on a car that was financed was a lot of money for someone who had a base pay of $24,960 and commissions that could vary from $1 an hour to $15 an hour. 

5) I would have not used my US Bank reserve line of credit to give myself payday advances instead of just using it as the overdraft protection it was meant to be.

6) In an ideal world I would have been responsible enough to not have to file for bankruptcy when I lost my job but if I did still have to file, I would have listened to the judge when I was counseled that reaffirming my car was a bad idea. It ended up getting repossessed when I was fighting for my SSDI and that black mark and the late payments dragged me way down. 

Message 9 of 13
TSlop
Valued Contributor

I would have tried to get a credit card a little sooner and also use it more.

I didn't have any interest in a credit cards when I was young. I literally would go weekly to the ATM to get cash out after getting a job at 16. I got my first credit card when I was about 21 around 2006. Even after getting it (PNC Points) I would still not use it much and always get cash out. I don't even remember getting a SUB for it. I got it at the same time I signed a loan for a new car after the PNC loan person tried to tempt me into applying for a credit card. I told them I was denied previously a month or 2 ago, so they left the room and came back and said they got me approved.

Cut to around 2014ish, when I got my second credit card (BoA CR) and got a SUB, I realized I should always put everything on a credit card that I would have paid with cash. I always PIF, so it is free money back to me.

Nowadays, I carry a $20 bill for emergencies and very rarely go to an ATM. Pretty much straight credit card purchases.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.