Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is This Fraud?

tag
shalimarcat
Regular Contributor

Is This Fraud?

Hello everyone. I recently stayed at a hotel. When I checked out, I owed $10.00 for a pantry item. They tacked on a $26 state tax and a $9 city tax, even though I was already charged those taxes on the price of my room.  This new charge is separate from the original bill for my room. I thought that double-charging someone on taxes is illegal. Also, isn't it illegal if the tax is larger than the item being taxed? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: Is This Fraud?

@shalimarcat wrote:

Hello everyone. I recently stayed at a hotel. When I checked out, I owed $10.00 for a pantry item. They tacked on a $26 state tax and a $9 city tax, even though I was already charged those taxes on the price of my room.  This new charge is separate from the original bill for my room. I thought that double-charging someone on taxes is illegal. Also, isn't it illegal if the tax is larger than the item being taxed? 

seems like a mistake, did you call them and ask them to fix it?

I doubt it's malicious, legality aside  

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 2 of 8
shalimarcat
Regular Contributor

@GZG wrote:

@shalimarcat wrote:

Yes, I did contact them. I had a horrible time with them on the phone, so I contacted corporate, both for this and other problems with my stay. The charge still hasn't been reversed, even though it's been several days. I contacted corporate again, but haven't heard back from them. It may not be malicious, but this may have been done to many clients, which is a concern. If I don't get a response, I'm not sure who to go to next, the State's Attorney, the Better Business Bureau, or seek legal advice.

Message 3 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@shalimarcat wrote:

@GZG wrote:

@shalimarcat wrote:

Yes, I did contact them. I had a horrible time with them on the phone, so I contacted corporate, both for this and other problems with my stay. The charge still hasn't been reversed, even though it's been several days. I contacted corporate again, but haven't heard back from them. It may not be malicious, but this may have been done to many clients, which is a concern. If I don't get a response, I'm not sure who to go to next, the State's Attorney, the Better Business Bureau, or seek legal advice.

Also consider the value of your time for $35 (or $45 if you disagree with the original $10)

Message 4 of 8
iced
Valued Contributor

@shalimarcat wrote:

If they double-charged the same taxes, they should remove that as they can't collect them twice.

It is not illegal for the tax to be more than the item being taxed, and it happens all of the time. For example, in my state there is a 210% tax on smokeless tobacco products.

Message 5 of 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@iced wrote:

@shalimarcat wrote:

If they double-charged the same taxes, they should remove that as they can't collect them twice.

It is not illegal for the tax to be more than the item being taxed, and it happens all of the time. For example, in my state there is a 210% tax on smokeless tobacco products.

Welcome to Massachusetts!!  Although that specific excise tax is set at 210% of the wholesale price. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 8
iced
Valued Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@iced wrote:

@shalimarcat wrote:

Welcome to Massachusetts!!  Although that specific excise tax is set at 210% of the wholesale price. 

I'm sure that's a big comfort to people buying a can of dip for more than double what it costs in some states. Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 8
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@shalimarcat wrote:

@GZG wrote:

@shalimarcat wrote:

Versus filing more complaints, you could dispute the charge with your credit card which will force their hand to respond on what was purchased, how and if it was taxed properly and give you an opportunity to explain your position to the CC company to follow up with the vendor directly...

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.