Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone else addicted to credit?

tag
tparks5961
Regular Contributor

Is anyone else addicted to credit?

I've always been hesitant about repairing my credit because I have a very addictive personality. I figured I'd probably become obsessed about it.. so I put it off for a while.

Since about the beginning of Nov., my knowledge about credit has gone from 0 to 100.. and I've had pretty decent success in clearing up my reports. That being said, I find myself checking my credit score multiple times per day.. Credit Karma, Nerd Wallet, Credit sesame, Mint, Regions and Discover  lol.. 

My worst fears have been realized, and I am now addicted to credit. Not obtaining credit, but getting a very high score..  clearing it up and watching for changes.,. 

Anyone else here addicted to your credit scores? or am I alone? 

Last Inquiry 12/23/2022 Ally Bank Mortgage
Fico Score Progression: 10/1/2018 EQ 530 TU 535 EX 540 | 1/10/2023 EQ 785 TU 789 EX 787
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Is anyone else addicted to credit?

Yes. Especially during the thick of rebuilding. Even now that my rebuild has basically wound down to just gardening / aging, I still must check my reports / scores daily. You are not alone.
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 29
Remedios
Credit Mentor

You're not alone, but it will subside

Eventually, you'll only check once a day lol 

Message 3 of 29
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Yep, I was like that in the beginning too and as @remedios says, it will subside.

However, now, I’m addicted to this forum. It’s 2:05 am and I’m posting. 😂🤣. Just smh.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 29
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@CreditInspired wrote:
@Anonymous, I was like that in the beginning too and as @Remedios says, it will subside.

However, now, I’m addicted to this forum. It’s 2:05 am and I’m posting. 😂🤣. Just smh.

Dont forget to check the scores before bedtime lol 

Message 5 of 29
trusty
Frequent Contributor

I think technically anyone that spends over $100 per year on credit monitoring could be considered obsessive. Some of us are bat crazy loony toons about our credit though, and probably spend that each month.

I used to be more obsessive than I am currently; because, now I just make sure to take note of any actionable alerts. I can go several weeks without worrying about my credit, so long as I'm not planning to use it in the very near future. The key, is that credit monitoring will alert you to any important changes... many of which cannot happen when your file is deliberately locked, anyway; so there's really no need to obsess over it. It's like watching a clock in class; it isn't going to make the time move any faster. With credit, everything is about time. So, it's best to just keep it all readily accessible in your mind, but don't starve yourself in life, or start to go broke frivolously purchasing redundant information over and over again.

Average-Age takes a long time to hit major milestones. But, when you reach them, it's nice to sit back and admire how long you went without any blemishes of any kind. Beyond that, the only time to actively pull your credit is when you're about to apply for something. Otherwise, unless you start to mess up... the only way the score goes is up.

I am definitely obsessed with inquiries though... or the lack thereof. I'm waiting for the day when we can operate solely on promotional inquiries. That'll be the day.

Message 6 of 29
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

Not addicted to credit. But it has become a part of everyday life when rewards points and hotel/airline benefits are involved. 

Message 7 of 29
Credit_Aficionado
Valued Member

I have found myself checking my credit and other finances multiple times a day. I just have a lot of interest in it all. What can I say? It's something I like and you are definitely not alone. 

Message 8 of 29
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

I'm on this site multiple times a day, I've pretty much read each and every post, and TBH I enjoy it.
Addicted maybe, interested in how to help others by getting involved in this community, absolutely.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 9 of 29
Kree
Established Contributor

Credit is more fun than fantasy football, and I can do it by myself unlike DND.

I wouldn't call myself addicted, but it has become my #1 hobby.  Current goal,  financing a Disney trip with minimum dollars spent.  I think I've gotten a 10,000 trip down to 100 dollars out of pocket by Nov 2020, but I'm hoping to get that date moved up if miles/points exceed projections.

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.