Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's Just Too Damn High!!!

tag
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: It's Just Too Damn High!!!

Taxes and insurance. 

I know some people elected to go with motorcycle instead of car, to save on gas, insurance, and taxes.

Message 11 of 37
Stralem
Established Contributor

Rent and transportation.

I live so damn far from work and school that I spend $100+ month on public transit. Transfering between multiple bus and train lines, even with transfer discounts, gets to be expensive. I could move closer to work, of course, but that would require a huge jump in rent. Did I mention that rent in Chicago has been trending up citywide for the past 5 years in a row? Yeah.

So I'm facing two choices right now.

A.) Keep paying low rent, but put up with expensive long-ass commutes to/from work and school via unreliable public transit prone to delays, and almost complete isolation from friends, or...

B.) Pay much higher rent, but have easy commute to work and school, and actually be able to hang out with friends more often.

I'm leaning towards option B. I just need to ace this job interview tomorrow so I can afford it.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 12 of 37
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Uncle Sam and fuel (both car gas and heating fuel). Food is edging up there.

I'd say health insurance, but that went so far beyond my ability to pay so long ago that it's not even an issue for me any longer.

Message 13 of 37
MrsKD
Established Member

For me it is gas and groceries. Yesterday I bought a pack of ground beef, a small pack of chicken breast, bananas, broccoli, heavy cream, and oreos (dont judge....I'm pregnant lol) by total was $40!!!! Seriously 6 items cost me $40. And dont even get me started on gas! Sheesh!!!!

Starting Scores (Oct 2013): EX 520, EQ 535, TU 560
April 2014 Scores: EX 633, EQ 620, TU 616
June 2014 Scores: EX 648, EQ 626, TU 631
Message 14 of 37
TwistedAngel
New Contributor

@Stralem wrote:

Rent and transportation.

I live so damn far from work and school that I spend $100+ month on public transit. Transfering between multiple bus and train lines, even with transfer discounts, gets to be expensive. I could move closer to work, of course, but that would require a huge jump in rent. Did I mention that rent in Chicago has been trending up citywide for the past 5 years in a row? Yeah.

I feel you on the transportation. It takes me 45-50 minutes of driving one way to get to my job. Sometimes I wonder if part time hours are worth the gas/insurance/vehicle maintenance expense.

............11/10.......................03/13..........................11/14..........................03/15..........................03/15............
Message 15 of 37
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

I have to spend $300+ on public transportation per month. I live in East Bay, CA so those in the area know it is extremely frustrating when public transit goes on strike (yes I'm talking to you BART union). Smiley Mad

Message 16 of 37
GetTheFico
Regular Contributor

Besides taxes I'd say cable/internet.

Recently decided to get rid of the extra, unwatched channels and just keep basic cable/internet.

EQ: 780
EX: 767
TU: 779
Message 17 of 37
Callandra
Valued Contributor

For me definitely health insurance...$280 a month (includes dental and vision) for someone who is very low income. And no,  I do not qualify for any sort of subsidy (I really want to know what you have to do to qualify..). When I lived in a country with social insurance, I was making double what I make now and paying less than $200 a month for  insurance (also including dental and vision with a better RX plan). 

My boyfriend (whom I live with) and I only pay for internet, we don't bother with cable (that's what the internet is for...) and we did make a one-time purchase of a TV antenna so we get the basic channels. Rent is pretty steep as we live in a very wealthy area (there's no middle ground here; either you live in the nice wealthy area or you live in the ghetto). 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 18 of 37
blondy250
Established Contributor

Definitely property taxes(14k), but the one that bothers me the most is cable/internet (187).

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 19 of 37
EW800
Valued Contributor

All of them....  especially Uncle Sam!  So much waste....

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 840; EQ8: 832; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.