Did you mean: 

Itchy hands

tag
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Itchy hands

@Andypanda wrote:

I have a bad case if the itch. If you have your own buisness you can satusfy the itch with certisn buisness cards without affecting your fico scores.

That isn't totally correct.

If the business is not sufficiently established for issuers to extend credit to the business entity itself the applicant will need to assume personal responsibility for the business card.  The hard pulls associated with these applications will be against the applicant's personal file and are therefore scorable.

Some issuers like BoA and AMEX do not report business cards in good standing to the CRAs but issuers do report delinquencies.  As with inquiries, delinquencies do affect your FICO scores.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 11 of 18
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I think everyone struggles with it to some degree. You just have to make up your mind that you're not going to do it. After the first month or so it gets noticeably easier. 

Good luck! 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pinkandgrey , I completely agree. I've been fine not applying lately. There are a couple local CUs I have accounts with and I'm eyeing their cards for the somewhat near future. I've spoken with the CC people and they've told me anecdotally that I could likely expect approvals in the $5-6k range with where my profile currently sits, so in a month or so when my UTI is down to single digits, balances on less than 1/3 of cards, and scores increased correspondingly, I should push closer to $8k on each, with APRs of 8% on one and 7.9% on the other. That is worth holding off and waiting for. Then they and Amex Gold become the daily drivers and all others go to category bonus spend and cobrand focus spending in the case of my hotel and airline cards.

Sometimes it just takes the right incentive to hold off Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 18
Andypanda
Established Contributor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

I think everyone struggles with it to some degree. You just have to make up your mind that you're not going to do it. After the first month or so it gets noticeably easier. 

Good luck! 

For me the longer i go, the garder it is. If I am still chassing a sub, not really thinking of a new card.

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the itch all the time so I hang out in the garden with the other people who have the itch all the time. 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/Garden-Club-January-2020/td-p/5859620

Somehow it works. I'm going to have 4 months without apping for anything around the 13th. Actually 5 months since last app but I got a HP for a credit limit increase in October and I'm still counting it even though my TU was frozen at the time and the letter I received from Citi confirmed that it was. Too lazy to fight with TU about it. 

Anyway, when I'm feeling weak I also avoid the approvals forum. 

Don't mean to get off topic but I had the same thing happen in December. Frozen report, hard pull on TU through the freeze. I got different stories from TU. Once rep told me that since I already had an account with that bank they can HP through a freeze. Another rep told me its more likely the freeze was not processed in time because the computers were backed up. It was about an hour or two between freeze and hard pull. Anyway like you I did not bother fighting.

Yeah it was a TU glitch. Apparently if you put in a lift and don't remove it, sometimes it will allow a HP to occur the same day the lift is supposed to expire. It's never done it if I actually removed my lift. I was really annoyed though because I decided I wasn't interested in taking the HP so I didn't extend the lift... yeah that didn't do me any good. 😔 

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

Be careful with discussions of selective freezing...

I don't really have much appetite for new cards right now. I have 17 and plan to trim a little. But I definitely felt the itch when I had a thinner file.

I've never done sprees. I like to space applications and closings out. What I need in a card can change, and spacing gives me flexibilty to get when I want when convenient or during a special promotion.

My freeze wasn't selective. I expected Citi to HP me immediately. When they didn't, I didn't extend the lift on my freeze and they HP'd the same day that TU put the freeze back on. TU hit me with a HP while Citi got told I was frozen so I took a HP for nothing. 

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pinkandgrey wrote:

Good luck! 

Yep it's definitely a lot easier for me now 4 months later than it was the first 2 months. 

Message 17 of 18
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Credit can be addictive. I find satisfying it with pre-quals and cli's that are SP's is fair game. As long as there is no HP I consider it gardening. Sometimes I will intentionally look for a new card that I might like or check what card I might want in the future to make myself happy.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.