Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jewelry store CCs

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Jewelry store CCs

I don't understand how there isn't more suspicion and disdain for jewelry store cards.

1. A lot of the products are garbage. Signet Group (which owns Zale, Kay, Jared, and others) was once a family-controlled business called Ratners Group. The former CEO, Gerald Ratner, once said the products were "total crap" and "cheaper than a (seafood) sandwich, but probably wouldn't last as long". Yet this is stuff people want so badly, and are willing to pay so much for, that they will finance it?

2. A lot of the products are overpriced. 0% financing strikes me as the universe's way of saying you're overpaying for something. If you want to spend four to six figures on jewelry, why not just go to Costco for a better value?

3. Generally, it's not stuff people need. There's room for debate here. I know a few people who talked a lot about wanting to get their wives the best jewelry possible...they've mostly been in one kind of revolving debt or another for ages (more as a habit of spending than as a consequence of one particular purchase). A lot of people who are into diving watches don't seem to actually dive.

4. Personally, I'm not a fan of financing luxury stuff...not that I spend a lot on luxuries in the first place. But if I was going to splurge, I'd rather just pay for it and be done with it. Also, If the purchase is supposed to be exciting or impress someone, I would think plunking down a Platinum to buy it would be more enjoyable than applying for a loan.

Isn't getting a jewelry card basically saying "I can't afford this and don't need it, but I'll get it, anyway"?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
11 REPLIES 11
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Re: Jewelry store CCs

Buying jewelry retail is a mistake.

I wouldn't do it nor would I let my husband do it.. A reputable auction house, resale place or estate seller is the way to go.

When I got married a bajillion years ago, I told my husband I only wanted a plain, wide gold band. 

He bought me a huge diamond on our 20th annv and I almost never wear it. (It was from an auction house).

I'm more of a jeans & hiking boots kinda gal..Designer jeans of course. lol

But to each their own. Some people value that stuff and are willing to pay for it.

Zales, Kay etc... Probably not the best place to shop. Jewelry has a 500-1000% and higher mark-up, it's awful.

But you can't blame the CC issuers for that- it's the stores themselves. And that pesky little term: Personal Responsibility.. 

If the widget is priced too high and the financing is atrocious, bounce outta there.. 001 Bouncy.gif

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

I wouldn't do it nor would I let my husband do it.. A reputable auction house, resale place or estate seller is the way to go.

When I got married a bajillion years ago, I told my husband I only wanted a plain, wide gold band. 

He bought me a huge diamond on our 20th annv and I almost never wear it. (It was from an auction house).

But to each their own. Some people value that stuff and are willing to pay for it.

Zales, Kay etc... Probably not the best place to shop. Jewelry has a 500-1000% and higher mark-up, it's awful.

But you can't blame the CC issuers for that- it's the stores themselves. And that pesky little term: Personal Responsibility.. 

If the widget is priced too high and the financing is atrocious, bounce outta there.. 001 Bouncy.gif

+1

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

I don't understand how there isn't more suspicion and disdain for jewelry store cards.

1. A lot of the products are garbage. Signet Group (which owns Zale, Kay, Jared, and others) was once a family-controlled business called Ratners Group. The former CEO, Gerald Ratner, once said the products were "total crap" and "cheaper than a (seafood) sandwich, but probably wouldn't last as long". Yet this is stuff people want so badly, and are willing to pay so much for, that they will finance it?

2. A lot of the products are overpriced. 0% financing strikes me as the universe's way of saying you're overpaying for something. If you want to spend four to six figures on jewelry, why not just go to Costco for a better value?

3. Generally, it's not stuff people need. There's there's room for debate here. I know a few people who talked a lot about wanting to get their wives the best jewelry possible...they've mostly been in one kind of revolving debt or another for ages (more as a habit of spending than as a consequence of one particular purchase). A lot of people who are into diving watches don't seem to actually dive.

4. Personally, I'm not a fan of financing luxury stuff...not that I spend a lot on luxuries in the first place. But if I was going to splurge, I'd rather just pay for it and be done with it. Also, If the purchase is supposed to be exciting or impress someone, I would think plunking down a Platinum to buy it would be more enjoyable than applying for a loan.

Isn't getting a jewelry card basically saying "I can't afford this and don't need it, but I'll get it, anyway"?

I totally agree with you here, but I can see why many re-builders (such as myself) go for them---they have very lax UW standards. At the end of the day, nevertheless, I blame the consumer, not the issuer, for getting the card. Smiley Happy 

Message 4 of 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I totally agree with you here, but I can see why many re-builders (such as myself) go for them---they have very lax UW standards. Smiley Happy 

When Signet Seafood Jewelers did in-house financing, it was rational to have lax UW. From the annual report, 62% of sales were on store credit (now down to the mid-50s).

With gross margins so high, they could withstand high default rates. It was worth making a risky loan when not making it meant losing a sale...and a low-cost receivable.

Message 5 of 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

Many people don't realize it, but clothing has a better resale value than jewelry!

Message 6 of 12
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Pikaboo-icu

Many people don't realize it, but clothing has a better resale value than jewelry!

Yep and handbags have an even better resale value than clothing. Most designer labels anyway.. High end shoes too- Smiley Tongue

I'm an online seller lol.

Message 7 of 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Maybe jewelry store cards aren't more hated because their serious discussion ends up in SB?

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have Breitling, Tag Heuer and Jacob & Company watches.  Didn't pay more than $110 for each from China websites.  I can get Tiffany & Company knock off bracelets, earrings and chains for $10 and Louis Vuitton handbags for $75.

The jewelry business always seemed like a scam to me.  It's accessories.

I think the biggest fools are rich people with a closet full of shoes who say "those are last season" so it ain't cool to wear them any longer.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been thinking about this a lot recently. My fiance and I are tying the knot next month and I won't lie, it crossed my mind to finance expensive  rings... but then I started researching and found a bunch of good quality jewelry hand-made by sellers on Etsy that was a fraction of what stores likes Jared, Zales, and Kay Jewelers wanted... Definitely glad I went that route instead! 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.