Did you mean: 

Jury Duty

tag
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Jury Duty

@Anonymous wrote:

@MidnightVoice wrote:
In NY they use the Drivers License, not the Electoral Roll!!

+1

Moved to NY.  Registered to vote. Didn't hear a peep.

Fast forward a year and a half.  I got a new DL, and I received a jury summons two weeks later.

bingo!!  I think it is the most complete listing of NY residents they have!

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

MidnightVoice wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MidnightVoice wrote:
In NY they use the Drivers License, not the Electoral Roll!!

+1

Moved to NY.  Registered to vote. Didn't hear a peep.

Fast forward a year and a half.  I got a new DL, and I received a jury summons two weeks later.

bingo!!  I think it is the most complete listing of NY residents they have!

That's very odd, though.  The vast majority of New Yorkers I know don't even drive.  No need to for whose who live in the City.

Message 12 of 22
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's very odd, though.  The vast majority of New Yorkers I know don't even drive.  No need to for whose who live in the City.

They probably have a licence though.

And half of NY is NOT in NYC  Smiley Very Happy

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

MidnightVoice wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They probably have a licence though.

And half of NY is NOT in NYC  Smiley Very Happy

I doubt that the people who live in the City and don't drive have a license at all.  State ID, perhaps, but not a DL.

You're right, it's not half, but it's awfully close:

NYS : 19,297,729 (2007 est.) 

NY Metro : 18,815,988 (2007 est.) (includes tri-state areas)

NYC proper : 8,274,527 (As of July 1, 2007)

Smiley Happy

Message Edited by cheddar on 11-09-2008 10:34 AM
Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@anca21bi wrote:
I just have to say....I just had jury duty a couple weeks ago for the first time.  I was the first one picked for the panel as well as chosen to be the forman.  I think it had something to do with the way I was dress...I wasin my business work clothes...it was my first time and was a bit overwhelmed over it all.

I declined to be the presiding juror.  My reasons were:  extremely violent crime (more than one victim), defendent is a member of a notorious gang, and our names were read ALOUD at the time of jury selection.Smiley Mad
Message 15 of 22
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I doubt that the people who live in the City and don't drive have a license at all.  State ID, perhaps, but not a DL.

Most of the ones I knew did - just in case they wanted to hire a car for a vacation!

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was called & selected a few years ago on a civil case. I thought it was really interesting -- I'd be a juror for hire if I could.. but I'm a nerd...
Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

i love jury duty! i haven't been called in three years.  my boyfriend recently got a summons and i was so jealous!  i like to think of it as another way to give back and get a break from work!

i must be a nerd too!  Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Follow up to original post

And the verdict is in:  first cause, guilty, 25 years, $5,000 fine Smiley Happy

second cause, guilty, 40 years, $10,000 fine Smiley Happy

I am glad that I served, but I would be reluctant to serve again for a criminal case.  As I posted earlier, our names were read aloud at the time of jury selection.  Our names were read aloud again after the punishment verdict was read in open court.  His gang friends were in court for the guilty verdict and for the sentencing verdict.

Both cases were aggravated robbery.  Defendant had a prior felony conviction.  The defendant showed no emotion throughout the trial.  His eyes were BLANK.  He would not catch my eye at all during the testimony.  After the guilty verdict was read in court on Friday, he caught my eye and sent chills down my spine.  I kept a steady gaze and did not look away.  He finally dropped his eyes and looked up again at me.  I was still looking him straight in the eye.  He fidgeted in his chair and turned to his attorney. 

I hope that he thinks about the choices he has made in his life.  40 years is a long time to think, but he is eligible for parole in 20.  Oh, his lawyer has already filed the appeal, so he may not serve any time.

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I read this whole thread from top to bottom thinking the whole time...."How lucky I am to be 30 years old and have never been called for jury duty....."

Got the letter in the mail today from the sherrifs office...... I have jury duty the week of thanksgiving Smiley Sad

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.