Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop in hot car...

tag
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Laptop in hot car...

You could backup your hard drive and FedEx it ON it to a friend, and when they had got it and knew it worked, you could then risk leaving the laptop in the car  Smiley Sad
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some theme parks offer lockers for rent. Not that I would want to use one for a laptop, but I think it may be as safe as leaving in a car at a theme park. At least the lockers are "normally" not as hot and are ventilated.

Message 12 of 18
demi
Established Contributor

Thinking about this some more.  I went to Anguilla in January, brought the laptop so we could make all of our friends envious with emailing pictures of the Carribean.  After 3 change of flights, the internet not working, I said I would never bring it again on vacation, total hassle. 

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 13 of 18
islandchild82
Frequent Contributor

A friend of mine keeps his laptop in a messenger bag in his trunk for up to a week at a time. And never had any problems. I don't know that that is the best thing to do, but I would think a day or two wouldn't be a big deal. Good luck either way.
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ice chest, in trunk, NO ICE. The insulation will keep it comfy.
Message 15 of 18
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
DD wants to bring her laptop with us while we are out of town....but we would like to go to a amusement park our last day on before we head home. How the heck is she going to keep it from being ruined by the heat in the car? Any suggestions would be great. I would make her leave it home but she is working on a project and she does need it if possible.

Are you staying at a hotel? Many hotels have safes, so maybe you could ask them to keep it in their safe that day and you can collect it just before heading home. Call the hotel ahead of time and explain your issue and ask whether they could accommodate you. Or call the amusement park before departure to ask whether they have a safe you could use (the hotel probably won't charge for using their safe, the park probably will if they offer such a service).

Here are some solar powered cooling fans that might help keep your car cooler
http://www.google.com/products?q=solar+car+fan

Otherwise, the trunk might be OK, it does not get nearly so hot as the interior since it has no windows -- and also in the trunk it would not attract the attention of potential thieves. I think the main concern with heat would be the screen, LCD panels can be destroyed by that. Much of the circuitry gets pretty hot in normal use -- when mine is running something that works the CPU for a few minutes the air coming out the exhaust on the side is a heck of a lot hotter than my car ever gets.
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE......we just put it under the seat of the mini-van and hoped for the best. It was REALLY hot when we got back in the car 5 hours later but I told dd to not to turn it on until it cooled off several hours later. Got home and it was fine.....I am on it now. Thanks for all the advice.
Message 17 of 18
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

wildcat wrote:
UPDATE......we just put it under the seat of the mini-van and hoped for the best. It was REALLY hot when we got back in the car 5 hours later but I told dd to not to turn it on until it cooled off several hours later. Got home and it was fine.....I am on it now. Thanks for all the advice.

booooring!

I wanted pics of a melted laptop Smiley Sad

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.