Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legal Mavens - Please chime in

tag
atlastontheroad
Established Contributor

Legal Mavens - Please chime in

This evening a friend was denied purchase of cigarettes in New York because she could not produce a New York State Driver's License.  Searches done online have not produced much in the way of statute.

The 40+ friend has a valid out-of-state license.  Rude and clearly enjoying this humiliation, the clerk produced a "policy" that gave him the "right" to deny sale if a New York State license could not be produced.

Legal?  Visiting the State of New York results in reduced rights, rights that are reserved only for legal residents of the state?  This strikes me as wrong, wrong, wrong.

There is smoke coming out of my ears, I'm so irritated.  Mostly by being unable to find information.

Anyone? 

Ficos 2/17/08: TU 551 EQ 534 EX 587
Ficos 2/12/09 TU 695 EQ 715 EX 715
Fico...4/15/10....drumroll.....EQ 743
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Legal Mavens - Please chime in

I have a document at school that discusses why a legal document recognized in one state, is considered valid in all states.  It comes from Article IV, Full Faith and Credit.  My students always get stuck on this when it comes to gay marriages and the licenses obtained in a particular state.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 2 of 6
laz98
Senior Contributor

@WhirledPeasPlease wrote:
I have a document at school that discusses why a legal document recognized in one state, is considered valid in all states.  It comes from Article IV, Full Faith and Credit.  My students always get stuck on this when it comes to gay marriages and the licenses obtained in a particular state.

get stuck on it because they disagree with it?

Message 3 of 6
islandchild82
Frequent Contributor

This happened to a friend of mine in Washington. She had just moved there and hadn't received her new license yet. The clerk ended up giving her the cigarettes, but made it very clear they didn't think highly of any California driver's license and wouldn't sell them to her again. Ridiculous. Yeah, our licenses with the holograms and magnetic strips are far less safe than your paper cards and laminate, lol.
Message 4 of 6
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

laz98 wrote:

@WhirledPeasPlease wrote:

get stuck on it because they disagree with it?

Nope, not at all.  They argue why it can be recognized in one state and not another -- tho this leads us into state laws and the constitutionality of laws in general.

While I'm sure that some of my students have opinions on it, I run a pretty liberal classroom with respect to discussions.  You can ask questions, but I draw the line at berating classmates or forcing your opinions on others.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 5 of 6
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

So in NY you can only smoke and drink if you drive?  Cool  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.