Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's talk cars

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Let's talk cars

@Wrigley2172 wrote:
Ahhhh thank you brian i didnt know that. My 300zx is a 91 so im not entirely up to date on things like that, hell its OBD1 i forget how useful sensors and readers can be sometimes haha

I hate how computerised cars are now. The 90s was the peak for me.

Message 31 of 73
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

My cars 5 years older than i am lol but ill agree with you in my limited experience. Though i do wish more than anything i had a 134a ac system rather than r12 haha i blew the release valve trying to recharge with a drop in chemical and its basically welp there goes any chance of ac for me!
Affinity Cash Rewards: 15,000
Amex BCP: 30,000
Amex Platinum
BCU Cash Rewards: 18,000
Discover it: 14,700
TJX Mastercard: 2,500
Venmo: 10,000
>>23k student loan-payed off
Ficos 8's ~790
Inq: EX:1 EQ:1 TU:1
Message 32 of 73
OmarR
Established Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Wrigley2172 wrote:
@wascb14

Battery has no sway on your cats. They either pass or they dont. Im not familiar with CA emisions testing but the battery is just that. Whether your exhaust system is up to snuff wont be affected

It's not about the battery affecting the cat, it's about the ECU(s) losing the learned/calibrated data that isn't hardcoded in. Cars 2000 and newer no longer get a sniff test, they only check using the OBD system. Modern cats have 2-4 sensors and if the ECU isn't recalibrated, you can fail because the readings are "wrong". Once the newly calibrated data is stored in the ECU RAM, you're fine. This is also a good argument for why you need to buy OEM parts and sensors. If you buy a new cat or o2 sensor at AutoZone, the ECU may come back with a fault. The only way to fix it is to take the car in so the ECU can be calibrated manually to the replaced parts.

Brian, I am sure you already know this, but for the others, what you are describing is called the "I/M readiness" test.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 33 of 73
EddieK
Established Contributor

I don't use additives and almost exclusively go to Costco for gas.

Starting Scores:
1/19/14:

1/28/14:
2/12/14:
Current Scores:
7/10/19:
12/17/16:
9/05/17:
Message 34 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aaah a topic near and dear to my heart!

@Wrigley - great to find another Z32 fan here! I still miss my converted twin turbo 2+2. One of the most fun and honestly bulletproof cars I ever owned. I still watch the used market for them!
Message 35 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

On the Seafoam topic, there are three treatments you can do. Get two bottles. One whole bottle in the tank with around 3/4 of a tank of gas. That’ll clean the pump, lines, injectors, and carbon buildup in the cylinders.

Half a bottle in the oil, drive 100 miles and change the oil and filter. It can help with the sludging issues some modern turbo cars have.

Half a bottle in a coffee mug you’ll never drink from again. Start the car and warm it up. Have a friend in the driver seat. Pull a vacuum line and feel for suction. Have the friend hold the car around 2000RPM and dip the line into the mug to suck up seafoam. It’s going to sputter and run like crap some - dip it in for a few seconds and pull it out. Do this until the seafoam is all sucked up. Let it run another 10 seconds or so and shut it down for 15 minutes. This gets the seafoam spread throughout the vacuum lines, manifold, IACV, etc, to break down deposits. When you restart the car it’ll run awful and smoke like a barn fire. Just let it run and smooth out. Rev it on occasion until the smoke stops. Then you’re good to go. And for gods sake, stay upwind of the smoke, it’s horrendous stuff. A guy on a bike ride through a seafoam cloud from my driveway and was wobbling on his bike on the way out. Note that it can foul plugs sometimes so having a new set on hand and doing them isn’t a bad idea.

I’ve been happy with the results from the stuff. Have t had to do the vacuum treatment more than once in 30-40k miles but I’ll do the gas and oil treatment every 4-5 oil changes with no bad results.
Message 36 of 73
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

Nice devil! Jdm tt? Or swap? Ive had my 2+2 for 3 years and i wont ever sell it haha i love it. Idont have much done to it other than the typical stuff, wheels/tires/ brakes/ coils and tension rods. If youre serious about another z32 marketplace on facebook has cars goin up for sale every day
Amex Platinum
Ficos 8's ~790
Message 37 of 73
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

Ohhh nevermind i just noticed "converted" lol
Amex Platinum
Ficos 8's ~790
Message 38 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

I keep watching. It’s not time yet but when the time comes I’d happily get another one.

Mine was a ‘90, and I dropped in a donor 91 DETT. Laundry list of upgrades, twin POPs, ECU, split flange downpipes, testpipes, B&B X-pipe exhaust, one piece driveshaft, JWT clutch, RC 555s, Stillen SMICs, Apex’i twin chamber blowoff valves, S-AFC, PRofec-B set for 17psi, plus Intrax springs, KYB AGX struts, 18x8/18x10 Volk AV3s and a bunch of other stuff lol. It was definitely a runner! Predictably I lost my shorts when I sold it but that’s part of how the hobby goes I guess.
Message 39 of 73
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

Sounds like a solid build! How long ago did you do it? Got some pretty OG parts on that list haha. Im toying with an na-tt build for that sweet sweet high compression but i would have to save up almost every penny for about 2 years. If only cars and credit were more lucrative hobbies to have😂
Amex Platinum
Ficos 8's ~790
Message 40 of 73
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.