Did you mean: 

Let's talk cars

tag
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Let's talk cars

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@pinkandgrey wrote:

I don’t add anything—I suppose I should say that I don’t have THE MECHANIC add anything lol. As for gas, I’m not loyal to any one brand/station but I use only premium. Oil change every 3k, constantly cleaning/washing it, aaaaand I don’t know what else to add.... 

Just be careful not to start it to oftenSmiley Wink

Wow! What a great notion! I like the way you think...

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 11 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

The additives do not really up the points in your fuel as some would think. If you car is tuned for 91/93 use that fuel. If doesn't state either, then usually 85/87 is the go to, depending on your area. I've had stock beaters all the way to my current build, that should be making north of 1500rwhp. Shell, Chevron, Exxon are my go tos when it comes to gas, unless I need higher octane. Then i'll find whoever has E85. So, back to your question, don't mess with the additives. Either get higher octane fuel to begin with (wont do anything if youre not tuned for it) or leave it alone.

Hope that helps some.

Message 12 of 73
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

What does the higher octane fuel do? I always get the regular cause my car is old lol.
Message 13 of 73
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@TheBoondocks wrote:
What does the higher octane fuel do? I always get the regular cause my car is old lol.

@Brian_Earl_Spilner Question in aisle 3

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 14 of 73
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

@TheBoondocks wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner Question in aisle 3

In a nutshell, higher octane is used when higher compression or temperatures are used in an engine. It reduces the chances of premature or additional ignition, which you've probably heard of as pinging. If when you use regular and you hear pinging, you need to move to a higher octane.

In the case of my Mazda, it's designed to run on regular, but because it has a 13:1 compression ratio, I will actually see a power gain, and possible better fuel efficiency, from going to premium as the gas will ignite more efficiently and with more power.

Message 15 of 73
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I should note that not all cars will see a gain in power by switching to premium. Some cars, like Nissan's, recommend it for better fuel economy.

Message 16 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

Learn something new every day...didn't expect to learn car stuff on myfico, but that was legitimately interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Message 17 of 73
wasCB14
Super Contributor

After a battery replacement, what's the minimum distance to drive to be sure my car's catalytic converter passes a CA smog check?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 18 of 73
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

The only "additive" ive ever used is seafoam. But i put it through the intake rather than adding it to the fuel. My goodness the smoke cloud i got was marvelous im surprised no one called the fire department haha. So long carbon build up!
Affinity Cash Rewards: 15,000
Amex BCP: 30,000
Amex Platinum
BCU Cash Rewards: 18,000
Discover it: 14,700
TJX Mastercard: 2,500
Venmo: 10,000
>>23k student loan-payed off
Ficos 8's ~790
Inq: EX:1 EQ:1 TU:1
Message 19 of 73
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

@WasCB14

Hey bro, I'm not even sure what a catalytic converter is lol. But, I would say check the owners manual that's the best bet, or download this software that I have it's called automotive wolf and also I use Carfax app too. But, you could also use Google lol.
Message 20 of 73
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.