Let's talk cars

tag
iced
Valued Contributor

Re: Let's talk cars

@pinkandgrey wrote:

@iced wrote:
It wasn’t a VW but a BMW.

Ah, Beamers. The most beautiful car, but I’ve had more than my fair share of issues with them. 

Not to be "that guy", but it's technically Bimmer. Beamers are the motorcycles.

I've had problems with them as well, though no better or worse than some cars I've owned, and they're leaps and bounds ahead in reliability and performance from the American cars I've had. Buick, and Ford, and Chevy are 1, 2, and 3 on the worst cars I've ever owned list.

I will say that for the budget-conscious, BMWs could be brutal. I pay $500 for spark plugs and almost $1000 for brake pads, which is a lot more expensive than it is on some makes of cars.

Message 51 of 73
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@iced wrote:

@pinkandgrey wrote:

@iced wrote:

Ah, Beamers. The most beautiful car, but I’ve had more than my fair share of issues with them. 

I've had problems with them as well, though no better or worse than some cars I've owned, and they're leaps and bounds ahead in reliability and performance from the American cars I've had. Buick, and Ford, and Chevy are 1, 2, and 3 on the worst cars I've ever owned list.

I will say that for the budget-conscious, BMWs could be brutal. I pay $500 for spark plugs and almost $1000 for brake pads, which is a lot more expensive than it is on some makes of cars.

Lol I know— I just always type it the way I say it and to me, Bimmer has to be pronounced phonetically. Also, it’s okay to be “that guy.” I’m pretty much always “that guy” (but girl lol)

I used to pass it off as coincidence or “just a fluke,” but my family has had several BMWs and ALL of them have had expensive issues come up right around 100k miles. My 328xi had a total transmission failure at 94k. And if you’ve read my car post, you know that I’m kind of nutty when it comes to car maintenance and care lol. 

I still love the cars, but unless I become wealthier than expected, I probably won’t have another. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 52 of 73
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

@iced wrote:

@pinkandgrey wrote:

@iced wrote:

Lol I know— I just always type it the way I say it and to me, Bimmer has to be pronounced phonetically. Also, it’s okay to be “that guy.” I’m pretty much always “that guy” (but girl lol)

I used to pass it off as coincidence or “just a fluke,” but my family has had several BMWs and ALL of them have had expensive issues come up right around 100k miles. My 328xi had a total transmission failure at 94k. And if you’ve read my car post, you know that I’m kind of nutty when it comes to car maintenance and care lol. 

I still love the cars, but unless I become wealthier than expected, I probably won’t have another. 

Mercedes is the same. Air suspension needs to be replaced and the superchargers fail around the 100k mark

Message 53 of 73
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@iced wrote:

@pinkandgrey wrote:

@iced wrote:

Everyone says that about Fords, but I'm from a Ford family. 30 of them and only a Windstar gave us problems in the entire family. Ford replaced the engine and transmission out of warranty for free and we had no more problems. I remember when I got my 2002 Ranger, all of my friends and wife's family (Chevy family), told me I would spend a fortune on that POS. It's 2019 and the only repairs its needed are an o2 sensor, new radiator, and fuel pump. Everyone else has had their Chevys, Hondas, Nissans, Toyotas, and Lexus in the shop multiple times for major work. I'm quite fond of bringing it up whenever one complains about their car. Their obviously sick of hearing it. 😆

Message 54 of 73
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Mercedes is the same. Air suspension needs to be replaced and the superchargers fail around the 100k mark

I Had A $218,000 Mercedes S65 AMG V12 Twin Turbo Charged, Modified, 700+ Horsepower, 820 Ft Lbs of Torque

Top Speed with Limiter Removed, Radared at 211 Mph, after 140 Mph or so, it would just pin you back in the seat.

on The Freeway, it would take Any Sport Bike I came Across after 145Mph. What A Blast!!!

it would smoke My 2013 550hp 427 Corvette Convertible Manual 6 Speed.

I had (1) Porsche GT2 stay with Me to about 180Mph or so, then after that, He became a small image in the review Mirror.

Color: Obsidian Black

Purchased From Fletcher Jones Mercedes / Las Vegas Nevada

Message 55 of 73
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

I Had A $218,000 Mercedes S65 AMG V12 Twin Turbo Charged, Modified, 700+ Horsepower, 820 Ft Lbs of Torque

Top Speed with Limiter Removed, Radared at 211 Mph, after 140 Mph or so, it would just pin you back in the seat.

on The Freeway, it would take Any Sport Bike I came Across after 145Mph. What A Blast!!!

it would smoke My 2013 550hp 427 Corvette Convertible Manual 6 Speed.

I had (1) Porsche GT2 stay with Me to about 180Mph or so, then after that, He became a small image in the review Mirror.

Color: Obsidian Black

Purchased From Fletcher Jones Mercedes / Las Vegas Nevada

I would like an AMG at some point. I'd like a 2 door, but not really a fan of the recent styling. I loved the 09-16 E class, but they didn't have a AMG coupe. I would have had to do an E550 and turbo it, but I'm not looking to spend that kind of money on one. Maybe in a few years when the prices hit sub-10k.

Message 56 of 73
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@iced wrote:

@pinkandgrey wrote:

@iced wrote:

Everyone says that about Fords, but I'm from a Ford family. 30 of them and only a Windstar gave us problems in the entire family. Ford replaced the engine and transmission out of warranty for free and we had no more problems. I remember when I got my 2002 Ranger, all of my friends and wife's family (Chevy family), told me I would spend a fortune on that POS. It's 2019 and the only repairs its needed are an o2 sensor, new radiator, and fuel pump. Everyone else has had their Chevys, Hondas, Nissans, Toyotas, and Lexus in the shop multiple times for major work. I'm quite fond of bringing it up whenever one complains about their car. Their obviously sick of hearing it. 😆

My family is a Ford family as well. After all the Bimmer (that’s for you, @iced ) trouble, they decided to go all Ford all the time lol. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 57 of 73
iced
Valued Contributor

Ford truck/SUV family or car family? I hear that they actually try to put a little effort and quality into their truck/SUV line-ups, so those may be a completely different experience than their cars. It's becoming a moot point since Ford's discontinuing all coupes/sedans except the Mustang starting next year.

I've owned both a Tempo (waaaaay long time ago) and a Mustang GT - the Tempo lost compression around 60k miles and the GT just had this, that, or the other give out pretty much like clockwork. Everything from busted seat brackets to failed alternator to transmission problems. The interior materials also felt very cheap: a lot of vinyl and foam and plastic everywhere.

I won't be caught dead driving a truck or SUV, so I can't comment on that side of the business other than word-of-mouth.

Message 58 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iced wrote:

@pinkandgrey wrote:

@iced wrote:

Really Brian! You and I both know that the favorite slogan for FORD was :"Fix or Repair Daily"! That said, I worked for Ford and have had one of their products most of my life. In truth, I spent more on my General Motors vehicles for repairs. Suspect there is a lot of YMMV in the vehicle world.

Message 59 of 73
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@iced wrote:

Ford truck/SUV family or car family? I hear that they actually try to put a little effort and quality into their truck/SUV line-ups, so those may be a completely different experience than their cars. It's becoming a moot point since Ford's discontinuing all coupes/sedans except the Mustang starting next year.

I've owned both a Tempo (waaaaay long time ago) and a Mustang GT - the Tempo lost compression around 60k miles and the GT just had this, that, or the other give out pretty much like clockwork. Everything from busted seat brackets to failed alternator to transmission problems. The interior materials also felt very cheap: a lot of vinyl and foam and plastic everywhere.

I won't be caught dead driving a truck or SUV, so I can't comment on that side of the business other than word-of-mouth.

Dude, it was a tempo, what did you expect? You could have said pinto and I would have been like, "well, can't argue with that." 😂 I have heard there's been a lot of problems with the Focus lately.

Message 60 of 73
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.