cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lighthearted Question - Do Big Limit people laugh when people get small limit cards ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lighthearted Question - Do Big Limit people laugh when people get small limit cards ?

First off this is just a funny question and I hope nobody takes this seriously or to heart.

I picture you guys with $25,000 or $50,000 limits chuckling when people are rebuilding and get approved for a $500 ULTA card. Do you big limit people make cigars out of $100 bills and smoke it every time somebody gets approved for their first Capital One card?

LOL. I am super kidding and I hope nobody takes this seriously.

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Lighthearted Question - Do Big Limit people laugh when people get small limit cards ?

Definitely not.  All of us started (and restarted as the case often is here) somewhere.  We definitely share in the joy when others report being approved for a new card or credit line increase whether it's $100 or $100,000.

Message 2 of 29
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

Re: Lighthearted Question - Do Big Limit people laugh when people get small limit cards ?

I'm not a big roller / big limit person so I am more your typical credit customer with average SL of $5K.

My lowest SL was TOMO Card: $500.

Even debiting my checking account every week,  no CLI.

After a year, they still would not grant a CLI after asking 4x.

What a terrible company!

Cancelled the account and tore up the card and told them to keep their measly 1% rewards which I never cashed out.

Message 3 of 29
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

First off this is just a funny question and I hope nobody takes this seriously or to heart.

I picture you guys with $25,000 or $50,000 limits chuckling when people are rebuilding and get approved for a $500 ULTA card. Do you big limit people make cigars out of $100 bills and smoke it every time somebody gets approved for their first Capital One card?

We all had to start someplace. I still have the Comenity Buckle card and Cap One Union Plus cards that I used to begin building my credit up.

When I see someone (re)building, it's actually humbling. Having high CL's doesn't negate that life can deal you a serious blow where income vaporizes and you either end up defaulting and/or filing BK. Some of us are better set for cash flow than others, but none of us are financially bullet proof in this world.

I like seeing people rebuild and create solid, thick credit files for themselves. This doesn't just go for credit cards, but it also goes for people getting a home of their own where they now have a major asset that can be passed down for generations. Or maybe getting that dream car because the manufacturers lending arm will give them 0% financing which makes the payments now affordable to someone who's worked their way up from the ashes.

There's way more to this thing that credit cards, but they are fun and can give a nice return on normal spend when used prudently!

Message 4 of 29
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Definitely not.  All of us started (and restarted as the case often is here) somewhere.  We definitely share in the joy when others report being approved for a new card or credit line increase whether it's $100 or $100,000.

This ^^^

Definitely not for me either.

Message 5 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you big limit people make cigars out of $100 bills and smoke it every time somebody gets approved for their first Capital One card?

Are you kidding?   I would never light a cigar with $100 bill, that's what 500 Euro notes are for.

More seriously: in the wider world there is probably a greater correlation between credit card limits and "actual" wealth.   It's really not so much the case here.   With perhaps slightly overdone apping (yes, I know, every single one of my cards has a purpose and blah blah blah) and regular CLI requests,  some people obtain total credit limits (and on individual cards) far in excess of what they could actually realistically spend and service.

So even if your CL is low compared to some here, it might still be fine for your purposes.   In the real world, most people don't know about scoring, and don't worry about utilization and "growing" cards, and the dirty little secret is that most of them do just fine!

Message 6 of 29
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I havent experienced that here and i'm one of the people with little cards. I see most of the big card people trying to help and support the little card people. Things are more fragile then most people realize and in the snap of fingers anyone can join the army of the little card people. I once was a big card person but i dont smoke so i spent my rolls of bills.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 7 of 29
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

No laughing on my part either.  My first credit card was a $300 limit gas card.  It took several years, along with many increases in income, before I got my first $10k limit. 

April 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver
FICO8:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 12 mos | New Accounts: 0/6, 0/12, 2/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 8 of 29
Moneyklutz
Frequent Contributor

Never once ...I want everyone to win.

Seeing someone succeed in their efforts and endeavors is what I wish upon the world in whole.

Message 9 of 29
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Ditto. It was me with the $400 secured First Progress card at one point. I'm rooting for ALL of our team!!!  

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.