cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lighthearted Question - Do Big Limit people laugh when people get small limit cards ?

tag
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Lighthearted Question - Do Big Limit people laugh when people get small limit cards ?

I find it uplifting whenever I see someone get approved for their first card, whether it be for the first time or for a rebuild. My first card had a $250 SL. We all have to start somewhere!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 11 of 29
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Re: Lighthearted Question - Do Big Limit people laugh when people get small limit cards ?

Never occurred to me. What I feel is usually what the person who got approved feels. If they are happy, I am happy for them. If they are disappointed, I get more or less the same vibe, unless they sound entitled.

I am not a high roller by choice, in that I never ask for more credit than I realistically need. The largest limit I asked for was $20K for my "default" card.

Message 12 of 29
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

Hell no. Yes I do have a few high CL cards but every time I see a post with low CL, it just reminds me of where I started and I just thought to myself  "Good for you for starting. You'll be successful in this journey." 

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 29
wingennis
Valued Contributor

When I was getting small limits, I looked at the signatures of people with big limits and wished I could just get there already.  Now that I get the big limits, I don't have anything to look forward to (except maintaing financial stability of course.  So grateful for that).  What I do enjoy is watching others succeed in building or recovering their credit.  It keeps me focused outward on others and keeps me humbled and appreciative for what I have.

Message 14 of 29
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Only a jerk would laugh at someone else's limit.  
Every person that has high limits now had smaller limits before.

I have $400k in unsecured credit and just got a $500 Home Depot card.

Use em, pay em, grow em.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 15 of 29
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I'd never laugh at a limit.

There are two situations that have made me groan or roll my eyes a bit, fwiw:

1. People who don't need to travel carrying balances at 15%-20% APRs on luxury travel cards with high AFs.

2. People who ask a question and get 10 replies. 9 people are logical, clear, and generally in agreement. 1 doesn't even make sense. OP follows the advice of the 1 person.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 16 of 29
rostrow416
Established Contributor

I think enough of us have been there to understand you gotta start somewhere.  2 years ago, my highest limit was a Merrick Bank Visa with a $2,700 limit, besides that all my limits were less than $1,000.  After actually building my credit in my mid 30s (because to use the term rebuild wouldn't be correct since I never established any good run to actually have even decent credit), I totally understand how hard it is to establish a good, thick credit profile.  I applaud anyone who takes the time, does the learning, and has the patience to lay the foundation for a strong credit profile, especially after hitting rock bottom.

AMEX Gold | Purdue FCU $20,000 | FNBO Evergreen $15,000 | TFCU Plat Visa $15,000 | PenFed Platinum Rewards $15,000 | PenFed Pathfinder $15,000 | Citizen's Bank Cash Back+ $15,000 | Synchrony Premier MC $10,000 | SG Visa $10,000 | NFCU MoreRewards $7,000 | NFCU cashRewards $17,000 | Discover IT $6,000 | Capital One BuyPower $950 | AMEX BCP $5,000 | AMEX Amazon Prime Business $3,000

B&H Payboo Card $15,000 | Amazon Prime Card $10,000 | PC Richard Card $15,000 | Target RedCard $2,000 | Walmart Store Card $1,400 | Shell Gas Card $1,200 | Overstock Store Card $7,000 | Kohl's Store Card $3,000

Spring Cleaning:
C̶a̶p̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶Q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ | C̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶V̶i̶s̶a̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶2̶0̶0̶ | M̶e̶r̶r̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶B̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶$̶2̶,̶7̶0̶0̶ | M̶a̶r̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶̶2̶0̶0̶ | C̶o̶m̶e̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶C̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶1̶8̶0̶
Message 17 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Not to doubt anyone's sincerity (hah, ok doubting) but my team is now monitoring all the posts of the "I only applaud....." crowd and if we see indications to the contrary.....    So, keep up your standards everyone!

Message 18 of 29
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Not to doubt anyone's sincerity (hah, ok doubting) but my team is now monitoring all the posts of the "I only applaud....." crowd and if we see indications to the contrary.....    So, keep up your standards everyone!

Do you have a microchip or something that prevents you from not telling the truth? 

Message 19 of 29
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

We need a test subject. Any volunteers to get drunk, close a Chase septafecta with an aggregate CL of $250k, and open up a few Credit Ones?

We'll see how many "Congrats on the approval!" and "All that matters is that it works for you!" comments we get.

And does a vow of applauding prevent people from empathizing with someone unhappy with a low SL?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.