cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lighthearted Question - Do Big Limit people laugh when people get small limit cards ?

tag
Moneyklutz
Frequent Contributor

Re: Lighthearted Question - Do Big Limit people laugh when people get small limit cards ?

In 

@wasCB14 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Not to doubt anyone's sincerity (hah, ok doubting) but my team is now monitoring all the posts of the "I only applaud....." crowd and if we see indications to the contrary.....    So, keep up your standards everyone!

We need a test subject. Any volunteers to get drunk, close a Chase septafecta with an aggregate CL of $250k, and open up a few Credit Ones?

We'll see how many "Congrats on the approval!" and "All that matters is that it works for you!" comments we get.

And does a vow of applauding prevent people from empathizing with someone unhappy with a low SL?

I think the OP was simply questioning if people who already have 'good' credit find amusement in those that are just starting out or rebuilding. Most posts expressing frustration about a low SL or being denied entirely are usually replied with empathy and/or suggestive responses on how to attain what was not realized. 

When someone posts 'YAY I got a $100 CLI on my Credit One card!" it makes me smile just as much as the ones that tripled their Amex to 45k after 90 days. However if you're unhappy with that 100 bucks and feel you should have received more...there's a ton of people on here willing and wanting to help you reach that bar. 

Empathy imho can't be prevented. It's like all emotions, it simply is.

Message 21 of 29
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: Lighthearted Question - Do Big Limit people laugh when people get small limit cards ?

@Anonymous wrote:

I picture you guys with $25,000 or $50,000 limits chuckling when people are rebuilding and get approved for a $500 ULTA card.

Welcome to My Fico Forums, @Anonymous.  Smiley Happy 

I echo many of the above comments and perspectives.  I've been up ... and down ... and back up with my credit history and finances.  I know that's the story with many of our members and I think when you come from that background, it makes it natural to identify with where someone is on their credit journey.  I also think most of our members are on My Fico to learn, to share what we've learned, and to encourage others along the way.  I'm extremely grateful for my credit situation, and it's better than I ever would have imagined it for most of my life.  I don't take that for granted.  It was only about ten years ago that I got my very first $25K limit and I was astonished with that. Smiley Surprised  While I never had a slew of $500 to $1000 limits, I've spent most of my life with credit limits in the modest $3K to $12K range.   I've also had lenders balance-chase me and/or close accounts when I was struggling to keep up with larger five-figure debts.  If you spend over a decade trying to get out of debt and riding the credit treadmill, you never forget that feeling.   

Plus, limits are relative to someone's credit profile, finances, and needs.   For someone rebuilding after a bankruptcy, getting that first $500 CL is truly a huge step! 

I am happy for and love to share in the achievements of all of our members! Smiley Very Happy

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 22 of 29
NRB525
Super Contributor

I have a Chase Freedom card that had a limit somewhere near $4k. During the various CLD episodes my card was CLD in two steps to become $1,500 limit.  Credit limits are a struggle and not to be taken for granted.

Credit limits are also not Real Money, unless you use the limit, but then you have to pay back the real money.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 23 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I come on here and see that someone just got a new Credit One card with a $300 limit and over $100 in fees, it does not make me laugh it makes me upset. People who need to re start or start credit should not be raked over the coals like that. It is just not right. Sure you need a card to rent a car, book a room but to be cheated by a bank is just horrible.

When I started with credit many years ago I remember I went to Chase, I worked part time in my families funeral home along with going to college. Chase gave me my first card which I still have to this day. That was back in 1979 and the SL was $7500 and for 1979 that was a huge credit line.

Thanks

Mark

Message 24 of 29
collics
Established Contributor

Op I've wondered the same thing good heartedly 

Some express disappointment with a $4k SL  for example (because it IS low compared to their other cards) when I'd be excited 😆 

BK 7 Discharged May 2014. Removal Feb 2024! Let the countdown begin!!
Last App: Apr 2023
Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 25 of 29
iced
Valued Contributor

@Moneyklutz wrote:

Empathy imho can't be prevented. It's like all emotions, it simply is.

Empathy is easily blocked by other, stronger (and often negative) emotions. Jealousy is famously capable of this.

As for OP, I'm usually apathetic to what limits random strangers on the Internet get, be it $100 or $1 million. I'm not here to give or receive emotional support. The world's full of therapists for such needs.

Message 26 of 29
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Definitely not.  All of us started (and restarted as the case often is here) somewhere.  We definitely share in the joy when others report being approved for a new card or credit line increase whether it's $100 or $100,000.

This ^^^

Definitely not for me either.

Double this^^^^^^

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 27 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

I'd never laugh at a limit.

There are two situations that have made me groan or roll my eyes a bit, fwiw:

1. People who don't need to travel carrying balances at 15%-20% APRs on luxury travel cards with high AFs.

2. People who ask a question and get 10 replies. 9 people are logical, clear, and generally in agreement. 1 doesn't even make sense. OP follows the advice of the 1 person.

Or my personal favorite especially with Amex card holders (I have a few FWIW). 

Card holder buys $100 in wine to get the $20 credit. Card holder doesn't like wine but thinks they got one hell of a deal on the wine.

There are to many ways to waste the credit and for me it's the FHR ones because yes if it wasn't for the cards I'd probably be staying at a Double Tree compared to the Ritz lol. 

Oh and the only people I feel sorry for are those who have Credit One (or similar) because they don't know about Discover Secured cards (or similar).

Hell as to credit my highest is over 30k a chase card and my lowest is my Walmart under 2k but it is my oldest so it is used once a year on some random purchase and maybe a few bucks in cash back if I want to get some cash out at that moment.

Message 28 of 29
CreditCharmer
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

First off this is just a funny question and I hope nobody takes this seriously or to heart.

I picture you guys with $25,000 or $50,000 limits chuckling when people are rebuilding and get approved for a $500 ULTA card. Do you big limit people make cigars out of $100 bills and smoke it every time somebody gets approved for their first Capital One card?

LOL. I am super kidding and I hope nobody takes this seriously.

Nope, we all had to start somewhere.  I re-entered the credit card world with two retail cards and then on to NFCU.  

Credit is a lot like a Reputation....It takes 20 years to build it and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, and you will do things differently.

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.