cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking Back, Any Credit Cards That You Regret Going After?

tag
EW800
Valued Contributor

Looking Back, Any Credit Cards That You Regret Going After?

Just curious if anyone has any credit cards that looking back you just think, why did I do that!  Smiley Frustrated

I have one that I look back on and not sure what I was thinking.  Barclay....  It was somewhat the early part of my rebuild - roughly four or five years ago.  Not sure what had me looking at Barclay, but I went ahead and applied and was approved for $7K, one of my lowest limits.  I have not used the card much at all and really don't think it brings much to the table.  It is probably the least productive card I have, in multiple areas.  

Anyone else have a card that you question of the existence of?

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 840; EQ8: 832; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 1 of 69
68 REPLIES 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking Back, Any Credit Cards That You Regret Going After?

There's one of these threads every couple of months.... 

Message 2 of 69
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

There's one of these threads every couple of months.... 

And? 

Most threads show up weekly if not more often. If you believe thread somehow impinges on TOS, feel free to report it. 

Otherwise, we dont try to suppress conversation.  OP has been around for 11 years, I am fairly certain they have plenty to share with the rest of us. 

Scrolling works as well. 

Message 3 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Repeat topics happen because they're common questions/topics that come up in rebuilds and credit maintenance.

I personally could have done without my DCU credit card and QS1.
I don't use either.
Message 4 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

DCU and SSFCU.

They’re CU cards so I keep them since they are easy ways to keep my membership active but they’re not overly impressive products. The $1K limit on the DCU card flat out sucks and the SSFCU will be stuck at $5K @ 18% until the NCUA allows them to increase their APR ceiling because they don’t evaluate you for any CLIs or APR reductions without taking a HP.

But it could be worse and I could have been stuck with a high fee subprime card so these are minor gripes. I just really don’t like having cards I don’t have a use for.
Message 5 of 69
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

JCB: lack of autopay, and unfortunately autopay is basically a mandatory feature for me for when I stick my head under a rock.

Admittedly personal issue but I won't pick up any lender that doesn't have a competent infratructure behind it... like seriously I have zero intention of using USBank even ever again, that app and website sucks and won't even save payment information like literally everyone else.  Not winning security wise and seriously annoying have to type in routing and account numbers every single time.

Beyond that the only one I really wish I hadn't bothered with was Walmart: yeah the free FICO score was nice at the time and if Amex hadn't done me right I was going to play the usual Sychonry CLI game, but their reporting idiosyncracies drove me nuts.

Everything else I'm fine with even the ones that I don't really use anymore... BCP was a bit of a waste considering we're six years later and I'm still not doing much grocery shopping but anchoring the report as a $0 AF BCE, I'll deal.

Tradelines in general, I do regret picking up the Cashcall loan though, stupid CFA, and utterly unnecessary.  Thought it would help my credit, longer term it didn't much and probably the opposite (CFA hurts some amount) and sadly I found the SSL trick a few years later, oh well, ignorance.

        
Message 6 of 69
wasCB14
Super Contributor

While not exactly subprime junk, I kind of bungled things with BCE in 2014.

1. I used a link not intended for existing Amex customers. I ignored the "you have been identified as an existing customer, ineligible for this offer" message thinking I'd get at least some sort of SUB. No SUB.

2. I got Sallie Mae only a few weeks later. By the time Sallie Mae was nerfed into Commence, I was getting most gas and groceries at Costco (so BCE did not regain utility).

I'll keep it for history, though, until new Amex cards (maybe a nice Delta offer?) force me to clear up a space. Monitoring the account is trivial since I have other Amex cards I use.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 69
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Pendread😠😡🤬🤦‍♂️
Message 8 of 69
Green456
Established Contributor

A lot of people will disagree with me but yeah I regret getting Citi DC and US Cash+.

Citi DC
Has ebills and everything I need but so does BoA and I already have account with them. So I will probably close this account after either getting BECU 1.5% or PenFed 2%.

US Cash
Doesn’t have ebills and their website is annoying to use. They will be likely first to go after I get the spending bonus.

I’m obviously someone who doesn’t try to maximize rewards but cares more about convenience and simplicity.
Message 9 of 69
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Green456 , thats okSmiley Happy That's what make you ...YOUSmiley Happy
Message 10 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.