cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking Back, Any Credit Cards That You Regret Going After?

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Looking Back, Any Credit Cards That You Regret Going After?

I've tried to be fairly thoughtful with new accounts, although there is one fly in the ointment that can't be ignored... Amex Delta Gold.

I got the card with the intent to eventually move the credit line to my (then) $1k BCP, but the Delta Gold was also approved for $1k so I was unable to move the limit over, leaving me with a useless card that had an AF after the first year (I closed it after 11 months).

Which leads to the next problem... the following year when I applied for the new Cash Magnet I received the infamous 'no bonus for you' pop-up, which was almost certainly triggered by the Delta Closure. 

Those 30K SkyPesos ended up being expensive...  Smiley Frustrated

Message 21 of 69
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@NRB525 wrote:
@Revelate, when was your US Bank experience? In the last few years they have significantly improved the website and ability to work with accounts.

One card is the State Dept FCU Secured card. Got it in 2015 when it was a SP all the way. Turns out it was fun to play with the $500 limit, but found SDFCU to be not simple to work with. I probably missed some features but closed it as I have Diners for Chip+PIN and don’t need extra accounts.

Other cards with SUB make the pain bearable, until I just close the account as not worthwhile.

@NRB525 literally current with my auto loan.

There's no excuse for some of the things I have seen and the app is just a skin of the website.  It's not good, literally BOFA and Chase both were better back in 2011, only lender which I'll say was worse that I've experienced was JCB as that online interface was confusing as hell. 

Well, to be fair, Union Bank is pretty not great either now that I think about it but that's because most mortgage details are on a second site which sucks on mobile, wonder if the USBank experience would be better if I had a credit card instead of just an apparently awkward auto loan.

I guess I just expect better from a major bank, USAA, DCU, Alliant, Citi, Elan to say nothing of Chase, BOFA, Cap 1 all functional: I'd even say Penfed's better which is probably one of the less good ones.  First Tech sort of but admittedly weird if I don't have a balance on my credit card with them it doesn't show up in the account list... credit cards and debit cards are under some additional "Manage Cards" bit which is also kinda dumb.  These UI's can't be this hard, all of them have easy examples to follow of good ones Smiley Sad.

        
Message 22 of 69
Viva-LV
Frequent Contributor

The "necessary" evil cards: Cap One and Credit One.  I know many here have great relationships with Cap One, but once they capped my cl's, they were done.  Credit One? Canned when I qualified for better cards.

Am Ex | BOA | Chase | Citi | Disc | PenFed | USB | 400K Club
Message 23 of 69
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I dont have a card regret, I have a whole month of regrets. In November 2017, I applied for everything under the sun, and sadly was approved. 

All but Disco are closed, but they are the reason I still get preached about new accounts, and having no choices but to sit in naughty garden chair  😐

On top of my head I can remember it was Walmart, Cap One, Twinstar CU card, maybe two more. I really dont want to look, I'm at peace with being in denial about what I did. 

They are certainly affecting what I can and cannot apply for even now 

Maybe this would have been better reserved for " Do you regret app spree" but the idea is the same. Useless, unnecessary and self inflicted. 

Message 24 of 69
NRB525
Super Contributor

Oh, well I imagine US Bank auto loan web experience is as bad as the mortgage website.

But those are not the Credit Card experience. I find it easy to navigate, and rewards viewing, and cashing out the two Cash+ are easy. The Altitude has good visibility to the benefits. Card statements are easy to find, transactions can be downloaded to Excel to see how the 5% categories coded, and that download even remembers which transactions you already downloaded and starts with new.

Anyway, major improvements in the US Bank CC web pages.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 25 of 69
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Pendread😠😡🤬🤦‍♂️

After reading through these forums about "Pendread" and the shade they have been throwing I decided to pass and sign-up for BECU instead. But you my friend, without you I might have made a mistake and got a (HP) on EQ. 

Thanks Smiley Happy 

Message 26 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wells Fargo propel .. Smiley Sad

Message 27 of 69
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

@FloydWonder wrote:
I regret getting my Amex ED card. Rewards structure is utterly useless for me, and I only got received the regular (10k) SUB.

It does, however, serve as a backup MR bank in case I ever decide to close my Gold card. So it stays in the SD.

I'm actually going to be apping for a AMEX ED or AMEX CM before the end of the year. AMEX ED for MR bank redundancy and AMEX CM—(IDK) I already have NFCU cashRewards 1.5%.

Message 28 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not really. They all served a purpose and had SUB as far as I remember.
So no regrets here.

What I do regret was closing my almost 10 years old QS last year.
Message 29 of 69
SBR249
Established Contributor

Minor regrets:

- Penfed PR (still use it for gas, but that rewards program is really mediocre)

- AmEx BCE (currently SDed because my grocery strategy has changed for now, could change again in the future)

- CapOne QS (I don't regret getting it because it was useful for a while, it just isn't anymore. I regret not being able to use it much)

Major regret:

- Target RedCard; I shop at Target twice a year, don't know why I applied. Hopefully it gets upgraded to the MC version soon. 

Message 30 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.