cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking Back, Any Credit Cards That You Regret Going After?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking Back, Any Credit Cards That You Regret Going After?

I’ll probably have to say my Care Credit card. This card has a 15k limit and I have probably only used it once in the year and a half I’ve had it. I just hate not getting rewards for a purchase. This card May get the axe eventually once I get all my medical stuff squared away.

With that being said, the card will
likely get used in the coming months for some dental treatment. That is assuming I’m not chasing another SUB around that time lol.
Message 31 of 69
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@TheFIGuy wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Pendread😠😡🤬🤦‍♂️

After reading through these forums about "Pendread" and the shade they have been throwing I decided to pass and sign-up for BECU instead. But you my friend, without you I might have made a mistake and got a (HP) on EQ. 

Thanks Smiley Happy 

You're welcomeSmiley Happy

Message 32 of 69
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

If i had to pick one actual card id say my Synchrony Sunglass Hut card. Granted it was at the begining of my build . $800 cl but holy fico how does a store card not be able to be accepted on their own website? Lol, closed it for that reason aloneSmiley Wink
Message 33 of 69
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

I'm already regretting the BB&T card I picked up last month. It doesn't have a lot of utility for me, I just got carried away. Maybe after the merger with SunTrust I'll get something out of the relationship.

Message 34 of 69
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

The Cap One GM card. Cant grow the card and use it for small online stuff and misc purchases.

Its almost three years old so it has some history and it has no AF.
Message 35 of 69
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@VanderSnoot wrote:

I'm already regretting the BB&T card I picked up last month. It doesn't have a lot of utility for me, I just got carried away. Maybe after the merger with SunTrust I'll get something out of the relationship.

THIS is the MyFico Stampede EffectSmiley Happy Many if us get caught up in it at some pointSmiley Happy

Message 36 of 69
Namaste7
Established Contributor

@FloydWonder wrote:
I regret getting my Amex ED card. Rewards structure is utterly useless for me, and I only received the regular (10k) SUB.

It does, however, serve as a backup MR bank in case I ever decide to close my Gold card. So it stays in the SD.

Pair the ED card with eBates (using the MR program) so you can boost your earnings from 1-1.2MRs to minimum 2.2MRs per dollar for online purchases and select in-store purchases. 

~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 37 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely the BCP. I got caught up in the '6%' thought process before doing the math and realizing it was actually much lower. Coupled with the fact that the majority of places don't code as supermarkets I realized that I was much better off without it and just shopping at my local Costco and Walmart. 

I canceled shortly after the year was up. With the SUB I still came out ahead but having it past the first year would have been a poor choice for me.

Message 38 of 69
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

I can't really say I regret any of my apps.  They all made sense for me at the time.  Some didn't make sense long term and I got rid of them (or will get rid of them) but I don't regret getting them.

For the most part, the only downside to me getting so many cards back in 2017 has been an inability to get approved for Chase cards, and some higher tier rewards cards (Venture, Barclay A+, BoA Premium, etc.).  For the most part those would have been churn and burn cards, anyway, so no big loss really.  I've got my long term keeper portfolio on lock at this point.  I can still get those bonuses, or maybe even better ones later.

I do kinda regret closing some cards.

I firmly believe my brief stint in Amex bonus jail was due to cancelling my Hilton Ascend a month before the AF would've hit.  I ended up apping for a NAF Hilton a few months after that, which I could've just downgraded to, seeing as I'd already got the bonus on that product a couple years ago.  That was a bonehead move.

I also kinda wish I'd held on to my Barclays Wyndham card instead of consolidating it into my now useless Apple card.  I figured I could just app for another one.  No such luck.

Come to think of it, there was one card app that I do regret.  When my BCE turned a year old, it had a $250 upgrade offer to the BCP.  I figured I would try to pull one over on Amex and app for a new BCP and get the $250 bonus on that, then double dip with the BCE upgrade offer right after.  The result of that was the BCP app came back with a "we'll let you know" message and as soon as that happened the BCE upgrade offer disappeared.  I ended up getting approved for the BCP the next day anyway, but I would have avoided the new account hit if I'd just taken the upgrade.  Score one for Amex on that one.

Message 39 of 69
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@Namaste7 wrote:

@FloydWonder wrote:
I regret getting my Amex ED card. Rewards structure is utterly useless for me, and I only received the regular (10k) SUB.

It does, however, serve as a backup MR bank in case I ever decide to close my Gold card. So it stays in the SD.

Pair the ED card with eBates (using the MR program) so you can boost your earnings from 1-1.2MRs to minimum 2.2MRs per dollar for online purchases and select in-store purchases. 

I need more info about this.  Is this a targeted thing or can anyone with MR earning cards take advantage?

Message 40 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.