cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking Back, Any Credit Cards That You Regret Going After?

tag
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Re: Looking Back, Any Credit Cards That You Regret Going After?

I guess I would say I regret getting the Simplicity card because I can't product change it and I'm thinking about closing it, its been about 1 year and 3 months now and over that time period it was stuck with $2.7K. Although, its a no annual fee card, there's no reason to close it I guess. If I knew, I would have gotten the Diamond Preferred for the BT offer, and then maybe PC to Double cash or Dividend. And I kinda regret getting the Amex Hilton card, I got it to start my relationship with Amex but I was still new to the game starting out years ago, I didn't understand how everything works, and I missed a lot of opportunities to get cards that are now not available.

Message 41 of 69
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@VanderSnoot wrote:

I'm already regretting the BB&T card I picked up last month. It doesn't have a lot of utility for me, I just got carried away. Maybe after the merger with SunTrust I'll get something out of the relationship.

THIS is the MyFico Stampede EffectSmiley Happy Many if us get caught up in it at some pointSmiley Happy

Thanks for going easy on me, AJC. You must be riding that Disco Love Train.

Message 42 of 69
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wells Fargo propel .. Smiley Sad

Why do you regret getting this card?

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 43 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually regret my second card, the Discover IT. It came with a $500 SL, which has only grown to $3000 in a year. It is true that Discover is forgiving of thin files (and no credit history at the time in my case) but I should have kept that 5/24 slot for something more premium with better rewards. Hindsight is 20/20 of course.

Message 44 of 69
Namaste7
Established Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

@Namaste7 wrote:

@FloydWonder wrote:
I regret getting my Amex ED card. Rewards structure is utterly useless for me, and I only received the regular (10k) SUB.

It does, however, serve as a backup MR bank in case I ever decide to close my Gold card. So it stays in the SD.

Pair the ED card with eBates (using the MR program) so you can boost your earnings from 1-1.2MRs to minimum 2-2.2MRs per dollar for online purchases and select in-store purchases. 

I need more info about this.  Is this a targeted thing or can anyone with MR earning cards take advantage?

In February, Doctor of Credit had an article on the eBates/Rakuten and American express partnership (previously discussed in this MFF thread). At the time, existing eBates users could NOT convert their account but you could create an account using a different email. When researching, check to see if they are allowing existing eBates users to convert from straight cashback to MRs points.

How does the eBates / MR program work?

per ebates website (ebates dot com slash american-express):

1% Cash Back is equal to 1 additional point for every $1 spent through Ebates. Once the store lets Ebates know you’ve made a purchase, Ebates will add the Membership Rewards points you earned (that are additional to the points earned normally on the Card) to your Ebates account. Afterwards, Ebates will send you an email confirmation which, depending on the store, can take a few hours to several days. Ebates will transfer the points in your Ebates account to your Membership Rewards program account in accordance with Ebates’ current payment schedule.

The points are transferred quarterly.

~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 45 of 69
Gollum
Established Contributor

@EW800 wrote:

Just curious if anyone has any credit cards that looking back you just think, why did I do that!  Smiley Frustrated

I have one that I look back on and not sure what I was thinking.  Barclay....  It was somewhat the early part of my rebuild - roughly four or five years ago.  Not sure what had me looking at Barclay, but I went ahead and applied and was approved for $7K, one of my lowest limits.  I have not used the card much at all and really don't think it brings much to the table.  It is probably the least productive card I have, in multiple areas.  

Anyone else have a card that you question of the existence of?

Capital One VISA Platinum:

I have mixed feelings about this card. After many years of bad credit, I applied for this card and the way I remember it is "I like the way this credit card's promotional materials look," then "I can ignore all these other credit card mailers that seem less desirable."

I voluntarily reduced its credit limit to $500 and I keep it because it is my oldest credit card.

Simmons Bank VISA Platinum:

I have mixed feelings about this card, too. I was extremely excited when I was approved, because the card had a low interest rate and being approved for it proved to me that I no longer had bad credit.

Today, though, I was approved for the NFCU VISA Platinum card (no rewards) with a variable interest rate 2.26% lower than the variable interest rate for the Simmons Bank card (no rewards), which would seem to make the Simmons Bank card superfluous/obsolete.

I plan to keep the Simmons Bank card, though, because it's my second oldest credit card, and I like the customer service.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 46 of 69
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Simple answer. No regrets. One starter card led to another which led to bigger and better cards and starter cards were laid to rest. Each one led to bigger and better cards and now its all in place I get paid to use their cards. Smiley Very Happy

Message 47 of 69
NaaryalHead
Regular Contributor

Cap One QS1. I confused it with the QS and instead apped for the AF one even though my scores were in the 740s and would've gotten a regular QS just fine. Now I'm stuck with an AF card with 1.5% rewards which is useless next to my 2% back Citi DC and 3% to 5% back Bofa, uber and chase cards.

5k+ CLs: Chase Amazon, Cap1 QS1,
10k+ CLs: BofA Cash Rewards, Amex Cash Magnet, Citi DC, Barclays Uber, Citi Premier, Chase Saphire Preff,Cap1 Savor1

Torch bearer of the Bucketeers' Society. Shamefully carrying a bucketed Cap One QS1 with AF & zero chance of a PC.
Message 48 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

I regret getting the home Depot card when I did.
I knew I'd rather the Lowe's card since it's w synchrony and I have 2 other cards with them(my highest limits,6000) I knew Lowe's cli were sp.
I also knew I should have waited and aged my account but I took the 75$ off my purchase or whatever they offered me when checking out if I got the card..
O well maybe they will auto increase my cl.
Also getting my 2nd capital one platinum now qs. At the time I still had my secured version open Wich had cl of 500. I for some reason thought they would unsecure me and I'd combine them. But cap1 stopped combination so I closed secured.

Overall live and learn. I went from 0 credit last March, to 20,500 total credit, plus amex gold 24,000 pot(for what that's worth) enjoyed the journey.
Now I get to sit back garden then choose Wich card I want next w/o worrying about denials. As much.

Message 49 of 69
Peazmom
Frequent Contributor

As far as starter cards I regret the USAA secured card.  I had no idea that it did not graduate.  If we are talking about cards currently in my wallet, I regret the Paypal MC.  Otherwise, I'm a happy camper.

Starting FICO 8 December 2017

FICO 8 as of 6/7/20

Sock Drawer:

Message 50 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.