cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for an iPod/MP3 player that will hold a whole bunch of music, and nothing else.

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Looking for an iPod/MP3 player that will hold a whole bunch of music, and nothing else.

....Well, maybe photos. But I can live without them. Don't want videos, and I'm definitely not using it to go on line. I just want to store and play back music, and a lot of it.

I'm finally moving from a cubicle into an office with a door that shuts. I've been working in an incredibly noisy room, under headphones. I have at least 50 CD's that I loaded on to my work computer, and I can pull them up under the WMV library, which has made me happy up until now.

But if I'm in a room, I don't have to use headphones, and the computer speakers are cheesy beyond description, and I think that the IT propeller-beanie guys are catching on to my deeply unauthorized use of hard drive space.

So now I'm looking for an Electronic Thing of some variety that I can easily store a whole lot of music on, that will dock into half-way decent desktop speakers that cost around $50 or so, that is reliable, and that won't make me nuts looking for the next CD to play. And oh yes, a lot of my music is classical and jazz, so sound quality counts too.

I suppose that I might download music once in a blue moon, but I'm pretty mired in my generation, and I tend to put the whole CD on at once. Shoot, I still remember how album covers used to smell! And album art --you just can't duplicate a Yes cover on a jewel box.

Anyhoo, any suggestions appreciated. DD#2 has an 8-gig 3rd-gen iPod nano and recommends it.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
atlastontheroad
Established Contributor

Re: Looking for an iPod/MP3 player that will hold a whole bunch of music, and nothing else.

haulingthescoreup wrote:

I'm finally moving from a cubicle into an office with a door that shuts. I've been working in an incredibly noisy room, under headphones. I have at least 50 CD's that I loaded on to my work computer, and I can pull them up under the WMV library, which has made me happy up until now.

But if I'm in a room, I don't have to use headphones, and the computer speakers are cheesy beyond description, and I think that the IT propeller-beanie guys are catching on to my deeply unauthorized use of hard drive space.

So now I'm looking for an Electronic Thing of some variety that I can easily store a whole lot of music on, that will dock into half-way decent desktop speakers that cost around $50 or so, that is reliable, and that won't make me nuts looking for the next CD to play. And oh yes, a lot of my music is classical and jazz, so sound quality counts too.

I suppose that I might download music once in a blue moon, but I'm pretty mired in my generation, and I tend to put the whole CD on at once. Shoot, I still remember how album covers used to smell! And album art --you just can't duplicate a Yes cover on a jewel box.

Anyhoo, any suggestions appreciated. DD#2 has an 8-gig 3rd-gen iPod nano and recommends it.

HTSU,

I did the MP3 gadget thing for a while because it was more economical.  What I found (this was a couple of years ago) was that I wound up fiddling around with files more than I really wanted at the time.  Not to mention that it didn't have a really user-friendly client .  Certainly this stuff has improved over the past few years.

But I got talked into an IPod.  Woohoo!  Fun, easy, gotta admit, I'm an addict.   Listen to DD2 and go for a third gen IPod.  It's worth the investment.  Besides, DD2 probably has all sorts of good peripherals you can "borrow"  Smiley Happy

atlast
Ficos 2/17/08: TU 551 EQ 534 EX 587
Ficos 2/12/09 TU 695 EQ 715 EX 715
Fico...4/15/10....drumroll.....EQ 743
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking for an iPod/MP3 player that will hold a whole bunch of music, and nothing else.

Both I and my SO have ipod's (I am on my 2nd one). We also have an iHome (which you can use for your office), so I can go from the car to the house, from the house to the car. The headphones are good, but there are better ones.

It is very user friendly and I think it will give you your monies worth. The only reason I have 2 is because I had a ipod mini (replaced by the nano) and there was no color, no video, no movies, whole bunch of other no's and only 4gb.

We both have 30GB's and that holds a whole bunch of music. Definitely more than 50 CD's, so you should be fine with it.

I think ipod's are the most reliable and durable. Most of my friends all now have ipod's because their other mp3's went out on them.
Message 3 of 17
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I have music on a external HD I plug into my work computer. Just add decent speakers and you are good to go. It is a generational thingie - my daughter says I am too old for an iPod Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 17
dragnldy
Regular Contributor

"It is a generational thingie - my daughter says I am too old for an iPod "
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is not.  My mother told me the other day that she was finally going to break down and buy one.  Of course, I know who's going to be the one setting it all up for her....  I loooove mine.  Even bought a new stereo so I could listen to it properly in the car by plugging it in directly without one of those lousy FM things.  I'm trying really hard not to go buy a new one with more space... Really hard. Smiley Wink
Ficos
3/7/08 TU-646 EQ-640 EX-650
3/17/09 TU-678 EQ 666
3/20/12 TU- 760 EQ 785
Util almost 0 and baddies all gone! now to gardening!
Message 5 of 17
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@MidnightVoice wrote:
I have music on a external HD I plug into my work computer. Just add decent speakers and you are good to go. It is a generational thingie - my daughter says I am too old for an iPod Smiley Very Happy

"Just add decent speakers" --that's the only thing that gives me pause. They have somehow set up the work computers to where we can't control the treble and bass, and so forth. I suppose that with these decent speakers I could go with the balance as is, but it irks me deeply to not have Control!

I am now in trouble with DD#2, because when I started asking her last night about her iPod, I discovered that my kids have been discussing getting me one for Mother's Day. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Smiley Very Happy

To rattle your daughter, you should borrow an iPod, don some of those 1970's eensie basketball shorts (think Richard Simmons!), and send her a picture of you grooving away with the iPod. That might frighten her into silence! Smiley Wink Maybe with a bandanna folded into a headband.

edit to add: and then post the picture here, please!

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 05-01-2008 04:32 AM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want to get an IPOD cheaper go to apple's website and look at their refurbished items. They change from day to day but my dh and son both have small memory refurbs that cost me 29 dollars and they work great. THey have bigger ones that are significantly mroe pricey, but still cheaper than buying new
Message 7 of 17
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
If you want to get an IPOD cheaper go to apple's website and look at their refurbished items. They change from day to day but my dh and son both have small memory refurbs that cost me 29 dollars and they work great. THey have bigger ones that are significantly mroe pricey, but still cheaper than buying new

What sort of warranty do you get on these? That's a great price, but there's no telling what they've gone through before the refurbishing.
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't remember but their site is pretty straight forward and will answer the questins.

We got my dh one b/c he was going to be deployed nad that way if anything happened I wasn't worried about my 30 bucks and basically same reasoning for my 10 year old (although he wasn't being deployed)

A lot of the times they are just last years model as well.
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Put it on AMEX- that will add a year

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What sort of warranty do you get on these? That's a great price, but there's no telling what they've gone through before the refurbishing.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.