Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lying about Income

tag
TheFate
Established Contributor

Lying about Income

I was going to make a large purchase on a diamond the other day and the salesman wanted to get me to apply for their retail card to qualify for the promo no interest then he insisted I exagerate a little on my income for the app. Honestly at that point I felt the deal went sour and decided to hold off. It made me realize with the score I told him I had was borderline approval.

I was just curious if anyone here has exagerated a bit on their income when app'ing?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Lying about Income

@TheFate wrote:

I was going to make a large purchase on a diamond the other day and the salesman wanted to get me to apply for their retail card to qualify for the promo no interest then he insisted I exagerate a little on my income for the app. Honestly at that point I felt the deal went sour and decided to hold off. It made me realize with the score I told him I had was borderline approval.

I was just curious if anyone here has exagerated a bit on their income when app'ing?

Doing so would be fraud... Anyone suggesting such a thing would be guilty of conspiracy to defraud the issuing bank.

Message 2 of 20
Stralem
Established Contributor

Way back in the beginning of my credit journey, I fudged my income a bit. I didn't know better at the time.

But that particular card has long since been closed and nothing has ever come of it, but I know now that it could have been a different story.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 3 of 20
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

I am sure people do it all the time. But it's bad practice to do so. As an example, let's take a look at Amex. Sure you can lie to them, but if they ever FR you and you lied, they will close your accounts. No ifs or buts. 

Also, Lexi will probably move this discussion elsewhere.

Message 4 of 20
TheFate
Established Contributor

@Gdale that's what I thought, But I wonder if a CC actually did a FR would they have you prosecuted or would they just drop you and put you on a black list

Message 5 of 20
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@TheFate wrote:

@Gdale that's what I thought, But I wonder if a CC actually did a FR would they have you prosecuted or would they just drop you and put you on a black list

If they found out and you didnt burn them it would most likely just be account closure and BL, if there was financial loss to them it could get ugly if they challenged it...

Message 6 of 20
manyquestions
Established Contributor

I would guess millions of people have done that for as long as there have been credit cards. Realistically I've never heard of anyone ever having any fallout from it other than maybe a card closure on an AMEX FR.

Message 7 of 20
abundancejones
Regular Contributor

Let's be real here...people do it all of the time. I honestly don't see why one would lie now since most applications are ok with your HOUSEHOLD income. 

Message 8 of 20
TheFate
Established Contributor

@Abundancejones So are you saying I could combine my Fianaces income with mine since we live together and if they found out they would be ok with it?

Message 9 of 20
abundancejones
Regular Contributor

@TheFate wrote:

@abundancejones So are you saying I could combine my Fianaces income with mine since we live together and if they found out they would be ok with it?

Yep, as long as the application indicates that its ok, you should be fine. Just make sure you are exact with the numbers you put in based on the last tax return or pay check stubs . The application would usually say something like "If you are 21 and over, you can include wages and salary from others that you can reasonably acess to pay your bills with."

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.