Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Metal Card stain problems...

tag
Zolomon
Regular Contributor

Metal Card stain problems...

I love my Bosca weekend wallet, but apparently leather stains metal. With the new launch of the metal Amex Gold card, I fear it will suffer the same fate. Attempts to clean it have been unsuccessful. Chase's metal Sapphire Preferred card and other plastic cards have been immune to this issue. Has this happened with anyone else's metal card? Might this be an issue with the wallet itself?

Amex Business Platinum: black leather stained.Amex Business Platinum: black leather stained.

Chase Sapphire Preferred: UnstainedChase Sapphire Preferred: Unstained

Amex PRG (Plastic): UnstainedAmex PRG (Plastic): Unstained

Personal cards:

Business cards:

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Metal Card stain problems...

I’m currently carrying my Plat in a black leather Coach wallet and no stains have appeared. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like that card issuers are trying to make premium credit cards “feel” more premium, but what’s the point if the card breaks down sooner than a typical credit card.

Message 3 of 8
iced
Valued Contributor

No stains from my wallet. Don't know the brand; I had picked whatever one had a little clear swing-out fold for when I need to tap my CharlieCard.

Both my Platinum and CSR are pretty scratched up though since on many summer days I'd often just leave the wallet at home and throw a card in my pocket along with my keys. They're more resistant to bending and breaking, but don't handle scratching quite as well as plastic. I think I also have what appears to be a small drink stain on one of my metal cards - maybe I used it as a coaster one day?

Message 4 of 8
Zolomon
Regular Contributor

@Zolomon wrote:

I love my Bosca weekend wallet, but apparently leather stains metal. With the new launch of the metal Amex Gold card, I fear it will suffer the same fate.

I am pleased to report the Amex Gold has no leather stain problems. I believe it has something to do with the paint over metal protecting the Amex Gold and Chase Sapphire from staining.

Personal cards:

Business cards:

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Literally none of my cards has ever had this problem. I think it has something to do with the material of the wallet you are putting the cards into. I even have a Charles Schwab debit card that is all white and it is ridiculously clean.

Maybe swap wallets/card cases?

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Zolomon wrote:

I love my Bosca weekend wallet, but apparently leather stains metal. With the new launch of the metal Amex Gold card, I fear it will suffer the same fate. Attempts to clean it have been unsuccessful. Chase's metal Sapphire Preferred card and other plastic cards have been immune to this issue. Has this happened with anyone else's metal card? Might this be an issue with the wallet itself?

Amex Business Platinum: black leather stained.Amex Business Platinum: black leather stained.

Chase Sapphire Preferred: UnstainedChase Sapphire Preferred: Unstained

Amex PRG (Plastic): UnstainedAmex PRG (Plastic): Unstained

Had the samething happening, looks like dye transfering onto the cards to me (more noticable on cards with lighter color). It did come off easily after some rubbing with an eraser. 

Message 7 of 8
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@iced wrote:

No stains from my wallet. Don't know the brand; I had picked whatever one had a little clear swing-out fold for when I need to tap my CharlieCard.

Both my Platinum and CSR are pretty scratched up though since on many summer days I'd often just leave the wallet at home and throw a card in my pocket along with my keys. They're more resistant to bending and breaking, but don't handle scratching quite as well as plastic. I think I also have what appears to be a small drink stain on one of my metal cards - maybe I used it as a coaster one day?

Heh I got to get my CharlieCard replaced.. it doesn't want to read...

-J

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.