Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Metal Cards

tag
busted2
New Contributor

Metal Cards

Kindly note this is a general comment not direct at individuals specifically:

If all cards were now metal, and were never plastic before, and a few desirable credit cards announced they were going to be switching to plastic, people would be posting about how much they wanted to get a plastic card, no?

I see it with card branding, platinum, world this, universe that. Product differentiation, appealing to status seekers and creating a perceived need must be powerful and effective marketing. (Imo)

I’d like to think I just care about what the card offers and don’t buy into the marketing so much. Yes, I understand everybody values things differently. Simply making some observations.  🙂

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Metal Cards

Can't wait for them to open the floodgate so I can request a rose gold 'gold' cardSmiley Happy

Agreed they are making a conscious effort to make people 'feel important', from the card itself to choice of wording on their websites.

At the same time, they are also consciously making loud and clear many other points. Such as "You benefit ('warranties', 'insurance', 'protections', 'lounges', 'status', 'all sorts of perks') from what this card offers more than you pay for the AF!" "You gain a lot more (pts, cb, free nights, free trips) when you spend more on this card!". "You can accumulate credit history/experience which could save you later in life when you need to borrow $$$ for car or house!".

So it is good marketing at work and at the end of the day one just picks one's own poison, unless one choose to have no CCs and live by 'cash/debit' only.

btw. As for the attractiveness of the plastic themselves, IMHO design is more important than material, the 'normal' Ritz card looks good regardless of metal or not due to the simplicity of its design, so are the 'transparent' AMEX everyday card and 'choose your design' discover card. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

After all the popular cards become metal, I can't wait for my first wood credit card.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@busted2 wrote:

Kindly note this is a general comment not direct at individuals specifically:

If all cards were now metal, and were never plastic before, and a few desirable credit cards announced they were going to be switching to plastic, people would be posting about how much they wanted to get a plastic card, no?

I see it with card branding, platinum, world this, universe that. Product differentiation, appealing to status seekers and creating a perceived need must be powerful and effective marketing. (Imo)

I’d like to think I just care about what the card offers and don’t buy into the marketing so much. Yes, I understand everybody values things differently. Simply making some observations.  🙂

I think the consumer appeal towards metal (if given the option free of charge) is on the rise simply because of its look and feel. And yes I totally agree about the marketing behind all of this, going from plastic to metal also gives the CCP a chance to introduce new/added benefits without having to go through an entire rebranding campaign.

Message 4 of 8
ScoreSizzle
Frequent Contributor

I like the design on my cards more than the material but why not have a metal card if it's offered? For the price I'm paying it should be able to do the robot when a good song comes on the radio.

Smiley Very Happy

Cap1 Quicksilver || Amex BCP || Discover IT || Chase FU || BofA Travel || FNB Omaha Platinum Visa
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

(Awaits first carbon fiber CC)
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
(Awaits first carbon fiber CC)

It's already out... The new VISA Black Card Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I shouldn’t be surprised. Makes sense that it’s available. I bet it looks great.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.