Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimalism

tag
ScoreSizzle
Frequent Contributor

Minimalism

Recenlty listened to a book on Audible about the topic. 

After I caught whatever sickness I had over Christmas I walked into my closet and threw over 50% of my stuff out.

The book helped me look at what I have left and makes me want to chuck some more stuff, lol. 

Anyone else mess with this style of living? 

Cap1 Quicksilver || Amex BCP || Discover IT || Chase FU || BofA Travel || FNB Omaha Platinum Visa
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Minimalism

@ScoreSizzle wrote:

After I caught whatever sickness I had over Christmas I walked into my closet and threw over 50% of my stuff out.

The book helped me look at what I have left and makes me want to chuck some more stuff, lol. 

As I get older, I'm much more attracted to the minimalist lifestyle.   I would rather have fewer, nicer things, and stop contributing to landfills.   I get more excited by higher balances on investment accounts than pairs of Ferragamo's in the closet.  

I'm curious, which book did you read?    I subscribe to Audible and would like to listen to the book.

Message 2 of 15
ScoreSizzle
Frequent Contributor

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

@ScoreSizzle wrote:

As I get older, I'm much more attracted to the minimalist lifestyle.   I would rather have fewer, nicer things, and stop contributing to landfills.   I get more excited by higher balances on investment accounts than pairs of Ferragamo's in the closet.  

I'm curious, which book did you read?    I subscribe to Audible and would like to listen to the book.

I agree. When I was in my 20s I was all about "things" but the older I get I've realized that those things don't truly make me happy. 

Here's the one I listened to. I think it's one of their free ones. 

41NR6evkRyL.jpg

Cap1 Quicksilver || Amex BCP || Discover IT || Chase FU || BofA Travel || FNB Omaha Platinum Visa
Message 3 of 15
iced
Valued Contributor

I don't know if I'd be a minimalist but I am strongly about efficiency and everything having a purpose. Trinkets on a shelf bug me. Random things that serve no purpose bug me. Homes that look "cozy" or "lived in" bug me. I also don't like the wasteful consumerism this nation is plagued with, or with its unhealthy obsession with unnecessarily big things like large homes and SUVs (that usually just end up being containers for even more unnecessary clutter).

Message 4 of 15
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@ScoreSizzle wrote:

@ScoreSizzle wrote:

I agree. When I was in my 20s I was all about "things" but the older I get I've realized that those things don't truly make me happy. 

41NR6evkRyL.jpg

You got me curious enough to place an online hold on that e-book at the library Smiley Happy 

Message 5 of 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

eBooks over print? Yes.

Does everything have a function? Mostly, and the things that don't are small.

Clothing? I do have a lot but it's quality and I wear it all.

Paper documents? I spent three hours last night looking for a document. Here I need to digitize more and lower the standard of what I will bother to keep.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ScoreSizzle wrote:

@ScoreSizzle wrote:

41NR6evkRyL.jpg

I read that book. I have been practicing minimalism since 2017. I am not at the extreme where I can live from out of backpack, have 100 items or less, or stark white walls. 

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

eBooks over print? Yes.

Does everything have a function? Mostly, and the things that don't are small.

Clothing? I do have a lot but it's quality and I wear it all.

Paper documents? I spent three hours last night looking for a document. Here I need to digitize more and lower the standard of what I will bother to keep.

Share much of what has been offered in this thread. Will add it took me nine months and three shredders to rid myself of most paper from a thirty plus year accumulation. Could not have found much anyways. Good feeling and those who have to follow us if we are not able to sort things out for ourselves sure appreciate the lack of "stuff"! Talking settling estates.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

i haven't been practicing minimalism, however, i've been selling my old stuff once i get new. ie. if i get a new xbox, i'll sell my old one or donate it. I've always been somewhat of a horder and doing this buy new/give away or sell old has definitely kept my place tidier

Message 9 of 15
ScoreSizzle
Frequent Contributor

@imaximous wrote:

@ScoreSizzle wrote:

@ScoreSizzle wrote:

You got me curious enough to place an online hold on that e-book at the library Smiley Happy 

You should grab it! Worth a listen. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.