Did you mean: 

Minimalism

tag
ScoreSizzle
Frequent Contributor

Re: Minimalism

@wasCB14 wrote:

eBooks over print? Yes.

Does everything have a function? Mostly, and the things that don't are small.

Clothing? I do have a lot but it's quality and I wear it all.

Paper documents? I spent three hours last night looking for a document. Here I need to digitize more and lower the standard of what I will bother to keep.

I went through everything including paperwork and drawers. I laid all my drawers out before I went to bed and woke up and went to town, lol. 

My brain feels refreshed knowing that I'm completely organized. Now I'm working on my photos and files on my computer. 

Cap1 Quicksilver || Amex BCP || Discover IT || Chase FU || BofA Travel || FNB Omaha Platinum Visa
Message 11 of 15
ScoreSizzle
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ScoreSizzle wrote:

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

@ScoreSizzle wrote:

Recenlty listened to a book on Audible about the topic. 

After I caught whatever sickness I had over Christmas I walked into my closet and threw over 50% of my stuff out.

The book helped me look at what I have left and makes me want to chuck some more stuff, lol. 

Anyone else mess with this style of living? 

As I get older, I'm much more attracted to the minimalist lifestyle.   I would rather have fewer, nicer things, and stop contributing to landfills.   I get more excited by higher balances on investment accounts than pairs of Ferragamo's in the closet.  

I'm curious, which book did you read?    I subscribe to Audible and would like to listen to the book.

I agree. When I was in my 20s I was all about "things" but the older I get I've realized that those things don't truly make me happy. 

Here's the one I listened to. I think it's one of their free ones. 

I read that book. I have been practicing minimalism since 2017. I am not at the extreme where I can live from out of backpack, have 100 items or less, or stark white walls. 

Yeah, that's a bit much for me as well. But I do love having less stuff.  

Cap1 Quicksilver || Amex BCP || Discover IT || Chase FU || BofA Travel || FNB Omaha Platinum Visa
Message 12 of 15
Kahnawake007
Regular Contributor

I grew up poor. Didn't have much to begin with. When I left home I only took what I could fit into my tiny Mitsubishi Eclipse. If it couldn't fit in there, I didn't need it. 

As an adult, for the most part I still live very minimalistic. Since then I have sold that vehicle, and now don't even own a vehicle at all. I rent a pretty much empty apartment that I'm almost never at, and I drive a company vehicle around to each job site. The company pays for my room and board while I am away from home. 

No kids, not married. I get to save money and only really spend on food.

Message 13 of 15
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@Kahnawake007 wrote:

I grew up poor. Didn't have much to begin with. When I left home I only took what I could fit into my tiny Mitsubishi Eclipse. If it couldn't fit in there, I didn't need it. 

As an adult, for the most part I still live very minimalistic. Since then I have sold that vehicle, and now don't even own a vehicle at all. I rent a pretty much empty apartment that I'm almost never at, and I drive a company vehicle around to each job site. The company pays for my room and board while I am away from home. 

No kids, not married. I get to save money and only really spend on food.

You are living my dream life.   My husband served in Vietnam and when he came home he had all the money he had earned saved in the bank.  He came home with $5K, which was a lot in those days.  He used the $5K to buy a house with his VA, and he still has the same house, and it's now worth $2.8 million.   This is the beauty of minimalism.   

Message 14 of 15
Kahnawake007
Regular Contributor

Due to my peculiar childhood, I bounced around from location to location. Passed off from relative to relative. So never had a firm grasp on "making a house a home" or "home is where the heart is". None of that. Instead I had "this is where you will sleep for tonight".

Now that I am almost 40, I still have never lived at the same place for longer than two years. The very thought of home ownership bores me. Getting tied down to a 30 year mortgage when I know I will get bored and wanna burn the place to the ground just so I can move somewhere else... (that was not a suggestion, nor advise. That would be a very very bad thing to do, so do not attempt that)

As for possessions... I left my father's house and moved to the States to my mum's with just the clothes on my back. After a while had to get the baricuda out of there, so I went down to the military depot not knowing Jack about Jack. Signed up for the Marines not really realizing it wasn't the Army (they were the ones in the office that day).

Bounced around a lot after that. Being in the military and never having a place to come back to and call home will teach you true minimalism. 

Got out of the military and went to a trade school. Graduated. Now I am in that profession and now my employer bounces me around so much I'm "home" at my apartment about one week a month. Not even a full week, couple of days here and there. 

As for family... My closest family member is about a good 1,750 miles away. Haven't seen any of them in over 5 years. 

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.