Most Underrated Credit Cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Most Underrated Credit Cards?

@rbentley wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@rbentley wrote:

My most underrated/hidden gem card is Bank of the West's Cash Rewards.  It offers 3% cash back on gas/groceries/dinning and 1% on everything else.  Cash back is paid quarterly and as a statement credit.  Card also offers price protection and extended warranty (with some limitations).  Gas is capped at $1,500 per quarter, but you would have to be a professional trucker to go over that.  No caps on groceries and dinning.  Walmart codes as groceries and virtually any place that serves food codes as dinning, including fast food, food courts, convenience stores, coffee shops even ballparks and bars!  No AF but also no SUB and intro 0% APR is only for 6 months.  Card is geographically limited to 19 States in the West.

Wait, BoTW counts Walmart now? Or just the ones that code as grocery?

The UMB card I have in my signature as a goal card specifically includes discount stores like Target and Walmart but otherwise is the same structure as the BoTW card and even though I hardly ever shop at Walmart, that's why it's in the goals and not the BoTW card. 

I haven't bought actual "groceries" at Walmart or Target with this card, but I have bought electronics and sporting goods at a Super Walmart and it coded as groceries.  I have bought children's toys at a Super Target and it also coded as groceries. It appears that if they sell food it codes as groceries, even if your actual purchase isn't food.

Can you check your stores that coded as grocery here and see if they are coded as discount stores? https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator-app/app/

If they are, you found a unicorn and I'll put the BoTW back in my sights next year. 

Message 51 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Batsamandrobin wrote:
@CWA1984 The nature of this thread is subjective—you shared your insights and others responded with their own.

Since you shared your opinion, based on your own spend and experiences, I’m not sure why you’re getting so defensive over the fact that other members of the forum have chosen to respond with a different opinion, based on their own opinions/experience.

It seems you’re taking others discussion points as argumentative. No one is angry with you regarding your opinion on the Uber card.

Well when they get angry that I even responded to their post see AverageJoesCredit on page 2 as an example.  I would take that as an example of others being combative towards me.  Even though in my original post I stated if you are already a sam's club or costco member the uber visa doesn't make sense to get.  People on here took it as "Oh my god!  How dare you insult my uber visa...my pride and joy in the entire world!!!!!!!!!"  When I never stated the card sucked I simply stated that sam's and costco cards give the same rewards with only 1% difference in dining while both also offing cashback on gas at 5% and 4% so only a 1% difference and dining and whole other useful category being at 4% and 5% to me logically make them better cards over the uber visa...again if you are already a member of sam's club or costco.  Never said you or anyone else should run out and join one of those two for a credit card...just putting the last point out their since people were earlier going on about annual fees.  

The reason you're catching a lot of flak, for me at least is you're comparing the Sam's card to the Uber card when they're both pretty different, even in your own example you mention you could just use a Citi DC to make up for the shortcomings of the Sam's card.

Comparing both cards and not adding additional cards in the mix to this theoretical situation the Uber card wins hands down.  Unless of course you're doing a lot of cross country road trips.

Message 52 of 89
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Batsamandrobin wrote:
@CWA1984 The nature of this thread is subjective—you shared your insights and others responded with their own.

Since you shared your opinion, based on your own spend and experiences, I’m not sure why you’re getting so defensive over the fact that other members of the forum have chosen to respond with a different opinion, based on their own opinions/experience.

It seems you’re taking others discussion points as argumentative. No one is angry with you regarding your opinion on the Uber card.

This, exactly. The thread asked what people thought were underrated cards. It then turned into a defending of why your choice was better, in your opinion. People's lives and experiences dictate which cards are more valuable to them. I won't ever do business with Citi again, so the Costco card doesn't interest me one bit despite any value it could add to my life. I'd rather have the Uber.

Message 53 of 89
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I personally would find no value in the Sam's or Costco cards. Not everyone has a need for gasoline. 

If Navy Federal would revamp their rewards and either drop the minimum redemption threshold from $50 to $25 or eliminate it entirely, I would probably run with More Rewards and Go Rewards and get rid of a number of my other cards. They really are incredibly underrated cards. Member Deals is a great way to rack up the points as well. Seems like pretty much every store that I shop at that isn't Amazon is in there. 

Thanks Saeren for this reminder. I had actually forgotten all about this.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 54 of 89
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry guys but if you have the Sam's Club Mastercard or the Costco Anywhere Visa their really is no point having the Uber card.  

That is a strong personal opinion. Anyway, I would also disagree. I have all three of them and I can speak based on my spend. I did stop using Sam's Club only because all Sam's clubs are closed in my state (if not, I would still use it for Gas exclusively. I NEVER even used it in Sam's club warehouses, just for gas). I use Uber for dining, phone bill (for the warranty) AND Airbnb, exclusively.  Nothing else. The Costco does NOT consider home rentals as travel category and I use their card exclusively for Costco and Gas (and occasional work travel). 1% is a big difference IMO, unless you don't care about free money that much. 1% of $1000 spend is an extra $10 back. That's the price of another meal. I mean, some people go crazy with a 2% card over a 1.5% card, and that is just 0.5% bump. Do you also consider a 2% useless if you have a 1.5% card? I did not, that is why I got the PayPal card when I already have the Quicksilver.

Message 55 of 89
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Right now this thread is going down the " Which color smells the best" road 

Seeing how question is asking for subjective opinion, there is no right or wrong answer. There is no One Card To Rule Them All, and you cant play Dungeons and Dragons with them, so no Dungeon Master either. 

Message 56 of 89
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

There is no One Card To Rule Them All

While some people practice infinite patience and maintain their reserve as if they're being guarded by centurions with attitudes to match, others crystallize their prestige as they find it a truly precious topic. rimshot.gif

[and no, I am not quitting my day job]

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 57 of 89
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I’ll second the Sam’s for the main reason that it offers great gas rewards. I would also say the Amex BCE. People always seem to think that the BCE is useless but the BCP is amazing. Yes, I get that the BCP has higher rewards, but for a lot of people, the lower rewards is compensated for by the lack of AF. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 58 of 89
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@coldfusion wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

There is no One Card To Rule Them All

While some people practice infinite patience and maintain their reserve as if they're being guarded by centurions with attitudes to match, others crystallize their prestige as they find it a truly precious topic. rimshot.gif

[and no, I am not quitting my day job]

Smiley LOL

That's Top Tier prose right there, @coldfusion 

Message 59 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pinkandgrey wrote:

I’ll second the Sam’s for the main reason that it offers great gas rewards. I would also say the Amex BCE. People always seem to think that the BCE is useless but the BCP is amazing. Yes, I get that the BCP has higher rewards, but for a lot of people, the lower rewards is compensated for by the lack of AF. 

Honestly the BCE falls flat against a lot of other cards. Both BoTW and UMB cards are unlimited 3% back on groceries but also gas and dining and the UMB card even codes all Walmart and Target stores because it covers discount stores specifically in addition to grocery stores. Acceptance is also higher as well because they're not Amex or Disco. 

In Amex network land, the NFCU More Rewards also has 3X points for groceries but also 3X gas and 2X dining. 

I never really understood why people like the BCE to be honest. Amex disqualification of specific merchants regardless of MCC classification makes the card very limited compared to a VISA/MC. 

Message 60 of 89
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.