Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My employer is shorting me on commissions payments

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My employer is shorting me on commissions payments

So, basically, I've been shorted about five percent on my commissions payments for the past eight pay periods.  It's a small enough amount that I didn't notice it until the manager of the store I work at mentioned she'd had problems (but multiply it by eight pay periods and it adds up).  Then, after speaking with my co-worker, I discovered he also had been shorted (by about the same percentage).  Irritated as all you-know-what, I went looking to see if I had any returns or errors in addition, etc., that could have explained the discrepancies.  There were none.  Stranger still was the fact that my totals matched those on the sales reports for each of those pay periods, yet the amount I was paid was always lower.  In the employee handbook, there are no exceptions to the 10% rule other than the obvious (that a return happened or an incorrect amount was reported, etc).

I have full documentation of the above and I plan to notify the owner of the problems (no finger-pointing, but I do want what I'm owed), but I'm wondering what in the blazes is going on here and what my options are if they decide (in spite of the evidence) to not pay me.

(Needless to say, I'm looking for another job.  This is just the tip of the ice-berg for the weirdness in this company.)

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: My employer is shorting me on commissions payments

Talk to them. If they refuse, then go to your state agency that deals with labor and get a little heat going. Document everything and make sure you have proof you are to be paid what you are supposed to be paid. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Short of having access to internal financials, I think I have sufficient documentation.  Along with my pay-stubs, I have the worksheets we fill out for the commissions payments (in this company, only certain items qualify) plus the sales reports (whose numbers match my totals).  Is there anything else I should include?

Message 3 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

You're probably set. Argue against yourself and try to find holes in your own position. If 100% confident, then have a cordial visit with the decision maker in this matter.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

A meeting isn't likely; the main office is three hours away.  I'll be sending an e-mail with the evidence I have in a pdf attachment and we'll go from there. 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

As for the arguments, I'm not sure where to start with the hole-poking.  I can't find any language saying that they've set aside exceptions to their policy in the employee manual and, as I said, from the accounting information I have access to (which is not much), it would not appear that I've done anything improperly.  The only thing I can think to do is to chat up my "second pair of eyes", someone who has no connection to the company at all and who can be objective.  If there's a hole in this, I'm certain this person will find it.

Message 6 of 8
BrickTime
Established Member

To Whom It May Concern,

Recently, while auditing my pay statements in preparation for tax season, it has come to my attention that my commissions, although validated with corresponding sales reports, have been paid at a lower commission rate than had previously been paid. In fact, instead of being paid the customary 10% as outlined in the employee hand book, my commission has been paid at a 5% rate for the previous eight pay periods. I trust this is a clerical error, so I wanted to bring this to your attention so this can be corrected and I can be paid in full. Thank you in advance for prompt attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

(Your name)
Chase Southwest Airlines Signature Visa 18k, Wells Fargo Platinum Rewards 15.5k, Capital One Venture World MasterCard 8.5k, American Express PR Gold- NPSL, American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 8k, Home Depot 7k, Capital One Rewards 3.75k, Wells Fargo PLOC 10k. all 3 scores 735-740.
Message 7 of 8
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Upate?  Any response?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.