Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NYC hotel recommendations/Early December

tag
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: NYC hotel recommendations/Early December

Since staying close to Times Square is a requirement (I'm not knocking it, just noting it) you can start by looking at the Marriott Marquis and work from there.   I did stay there once a number of years ago and while I don't remember anything particularly outstanding about it I don't have any negative memories either - and I don't generally forget negative memories of hotels.

As far as airports go, JFK > LGA.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 11 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@coldfusion wrote:

Since staying close to Times Square is a requirement (I'm not knocking it, just noting it) you can start by looking at the Marriott Marquis and work from there.   I did stay there once a number of years ago and while I don't remember anything particularly outstanding about it I don't have any negative memories either - and I don't generally forget negative memories of hotels.

And staying there or not, definitely pop in for a drink in the rotating bar on the 48th floor!

JFK is BY FAR the superior airport, but those rare times that things actually work at LGA and you land and grab a cab and are in Midtown in 20 minutes kept me using it despite it being horrible.

Message 12 of 39
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

Thank you!  Idk, where I'm supposed to go; she'll tell me.  I think she did say JFK.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 13 of 39
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

And staying there or not, definitely pop in for a drink in the rotating bar on the 48th floor!

Going!Smiley Very Happy 

Message 14 of 39
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I used to live in the NY suburbs and stayed at the Marquis a few times. Certainly architecturally interesting (if you like brutalism, at least) and the room was nice.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 15 of 39
tacpoly
Established Contributor

As a Manhattan resident, I would suggest NOT staying at Times Square because you’ll just be surrounded by other tourists. If you’re not used to the constant crowd, staying there will not give you a break.

Most of Manhattan are within easy reach by subway, so you can stay well away from Times Square and still quickly get to it if you really need a dose of aggressive Sesame Street characters.

Check out Eventi on 6th and 30th. It’s a short walk to Chelsea, Herald Square, Times Square, and Flatiron with Madison Square Park, Eataly (the original), Korea Town, Empire State Building, etc... the Highline is also easily accessible, not to mention countless restaurants that residents actually go to instead of ones that cater to tourists.

There are also the W or Hyatt Hotels at Union Square. In early December, Union Square has the Christmas Market. They’ll be walking distance to The Village, East and West, LES, or a quick hop on the subway to SoHo, financial district.

If you really insist on a Times Square hotel, pick one on the edge, closer to Bryant Park. In December it has the skating rink and booths set up. It’s better than fighting the mob at Rockefeller Center.

Don’t miss checking out Bergdorf’s Christmas window display. In my jaded opinion, this is the only shouldn’t-miss. Tiffany always has really detailed windows as well. Saks draws a crowd, and Barney’s is always out-there. We’ll see how the bankruptcy affects their display.

The newest thing is Hudson Yards. You should walk the length of the Highline.

Have fun! NYC is great around the winter holidays.
Message 16 of 39
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@tacpoly wrote:

I'm looking right now. Found it!  

What is Highline?

Message 17 of 39
Cindy_FICO
Administrator Emeritus

@GApeachy wrote:

@tacpoly wrote:

What is Highline?

I really liked the Natural History Museum and the MET (if you're into art). If you are looking for views, I liked the view from Top of the rock better than the Empire state. 

The Highline used to be an old railway(?) and is now an elevated park right next to Chelsea Market. 

Message 18 of 39
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Cindy_FICO wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

@tacpoly wrote:

What is Highline?

I really liked the Natural History Museum and the MET (if you're into art). Yes!  Thank you! If you are looking for views, I liked the view from Top of the rock better than the Empire state. I'll look that up, I've been searching today for just that, views.  Thanks!

The Highline used to be an old railway(?) and is now an elevated park right next to Chelsea Market. Ooooo, that sounds awesome...I cannot wait!  Thanks Cindy  and Everyone!!!!

Message 19 of 39
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Cindy_FICO  I just googled Top of the Rock, amazing views!

Edit to add:  What do you think about the Roosevelt Hotel?

Nevermind, didn't mean to put you on the spot

Message 20 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.