Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NYC hotel recommendations/Early December

tag
GApeachy
Super Contributor

NYC hotel recommendations/Early December

I'm to meet a friend there.  She's left it up to me to find our room(s). I hope it's not too late already. Edit to add:  I'm not finding rooms, booked.

Ideas, suggestions?

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: NYC hotel recommendations/Early December

Well, that was quick.

Will this be your 1st time in NYC?

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 39
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

Well, that was quick.

Will this be your 1st time in NYC?

Yes, first time. First time flying too.

My friend is looking also, she was going to leave it up to me but then checked on some that she's been too and txt saying those are already booked for those dates.

I found one near Times Square with a kitchenette and now I can't remember the name.  Just want something near Times Square, I'd like to walk around, sightsee, ppl watch; that's about it.  But, is that asking too much?  My friend just kinda snickered.  Since it will be for 3 or 4 nights I don't mind paying between 200-300/night cuz it will probably be the only time I'll ever get to go.  

(EDIT to add) The price would be mine plus my friend would match that price. So 400-600/nightly rate.

Message 3 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may need to double your price range to find a decent hotel in Manhattan that time of year.

In January and February you can stay all sorts of good places for $125-$150.

Message 4 of 39
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You may need to double your price range to find a decent hotel in Manhattan that time of year.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that my friend would pay her half.  So it would be between 400-600/night.  Glad you mentioned that.

So that's doable, right?

Would love suggestions from anyone that's stayed near Time's Square and enjoyed the ease of walking instead of trying to take a taxi or whatever.

Message 5 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GApeachy... it just hit me (in the head) you left everyone at home without supervision or a designated leader? On my gosh the h**l you will pay? Smiley Sad

As to flying, the Smithsonian Channel's the show "Air Disasters" should about do it?! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 39
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@GApeachy... it just hit me (in the head) you left everyone at home without supervision or a designated leader? On my gosh the h**l you will pay? Smiley Sad

hahaha, not gone yet.....December.  Dh will be here, hmmmmm that might NOT be good.  Glad you brought that up; I'll call a Nursing Home and make arrangements for a sitter for the ol' ball-n-chain.Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 39
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As to flying, the Smithsonian Channel's the show "Air Disasters" should about do it?! Smiley Happy

I already watched them all....that's why I don't fly! But thanks for reminding meSmiley Mad  What's the drug they gave Mr. T?

Message 8 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GApeachy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that my friend would pay her half.  So it would be between 400-600/night.  Glad you mentioned that.

So that's doable, right?

Would love suggestions from anyone that's stayed near Time's Square and enjoyed the ease of walking instead of trying to take a taxi or whatever.

Now you're in the range!

New Yorkers hate Times Square, but I understand visitors wanting to by nearby. I'd still recommend going 10-20 blocks either north or south, though. It's a 10-20 minute walk if the weather is cooperating OR a 3 minute cab if you don't want to deal. 

I've stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn - Chelsea on W. 28th Street numerous times . . the location lets you travel 10 blocks north for the hustle and bustle of Times Square or 10-15 blocks south for the quieter parts of Chelsea and Greenwich Village. 

I think their prices are generally a deal for the area as well. I threw some random dates in for a long weekend in early December, and they had availabilty in the high $300s per night.

Message 9 of 39
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn - Chelsea on W. 28th Street numerous times . . the location lets you travel 10 blocks north for the hustle and bustle of Times Square or 10-15 blocks south for the quieter parts of Chelsea and Greenwich Village. 

Thank you very much!

Message 10 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.