Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

National Air Cargo 747 Crash at Bagram

tag
CS800
Super Contributor

National Air Cargo 747 Crash at Bagram

Hard to watch as a fellow aviator. It turned my stomach.

They tried to correct it till the end. Looking at the video and from eyewitness (one of my friend was taxiing and on hold saw the whole thing at bagram). Nose went nearly vertical which makes me beleive that the cargo might have shifted the CG to the aft causing the nose to shoot up drastically. Too many speculations at this point

Video of Crash

Tailwinds brothers RIP

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: National Air Cargo 747 Crash at Bagram

I thought that too w/ the shift in center of gravity. That or some sort of elevator control issue.

Message 2 of 6
CS800
Super Contributor

@llecs wrote:

I thought that too w/ the shift in center of gravity. That or some sort of elevator control issue.

Yes shift in CG can be bad news at low altitude. Similar to the Fine Air 101 mishap out of MIA in the 1990s. The elevators could also have jammed or a hydraulic leak or loss in pressure. I noticed that the landing gears were down still which could be a hydraulic pressure failure. That was a true power on stall Smiley Sad

I would look hard at the form F , the TCN's they have loading are not known for following standards.

Could also be the trim tabs failing. Generally landing gears go up at a positive climb rate at around 500 AGL. This one was clearly down even at 1200'

It will be interesting what the NTSB finds out.

Message 3 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

As much as I'm a fan of the aviation world, it was just so tragic to watch.  Indeed a very sad incident.

Message 4 of 6
CreditJunkie917
Frequent Contributor

I'm here deployed in Afghanistan right now, and what I can tell you from the reports floating around here(credible intel) and since it was so public was that they were transporting military vehicles and they weren't tied down properly, so when the plane went to go take off, everything literally slid to the back of plane.
Amex PRG(NPSL), Amex BCE($5K), Amex Hilton($1K), NavCheck ($15K), NFCU CR Siggy($20K), USAA Amex($7K), USAA World MC($7K), CSP($2.3K), Chase Marriott($1.8K), Care Credit($2.5K), Cap1 QS($3.5K), VS($500), Cap1 Secure($200) Starting Scores(Jan 2013): FICO EQ: 643, TU: 552, EX: 567 Current Scores(Sept. 2016): FICO EQ: 672, TU: 703(?), EX: 682 In the Garden FOR-EV-ER!!!!! Cards and goals achieved! Let's grow and mature these babies!!!
Message 5 of 6
CS800
Super Contributor

More speculations heard but noting from the NTSB that's conclusive yet.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.