Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with Crowdfunding experts...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help with Crowdfunding experts...

I have a business idea for a website that will generate income. Are there any websites that are specific to website ideas? Most of what i have seen is for a physical product. FYI i havent done a ton of research just kind of poked around. I dont know if it is a good enough idea to get funded

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need help with Crowdfunding experts...

Yes, I spend time on Hacker News and it is great for new ideas.  You can also check up reddit startup section where people can interact also.  Personally, I spend time on Hacker News because it is stricter than Reddit and they don't allow gifs, memes etc.

Hacker News is also set up in a way that you have to put more thought into your responses / post.  Failure to do that gets you flagged and banned at the end.  There are some extremely intelligent people on there so if that is your cup of tea then check it out.

Quora is a also good place website ideas.  There is a lot out there........

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just concerned because it seemed like go fund me and kickstarter were the most popular but didn't seem to have a section dedicated to website based businesses. I just figured if it got funded it would be a good idea or at least worth pursuing
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I was just concerned because it seemed like go fund me and kickstarter were the most popular but didn't seem to have a section dedicated to website based businesses. I just figured if it got funded it would be a good idea or at least worth pursuing

If it is just an idea, I suggest you build an MVP to test it out before going to places like KickStarter and GoFund Me.  Rules have changed especially on Kickstarter and if you don't deliver, your state attorney can come after you.  

There is alot of fraud on those sites.  People raising 2 million and then running off on vacation without honoring their promises.  I am not saying you will do the same but be careful..

http://www.geekwire.com/2014/attorney-general-asylum-playing-cards-crowdfunded-project/

http://www.seattlemet.com/articles/2015/10/30/washington-state-sued-a-failed-kickstarter-project-and-won

http://gamerant.com/kickstarter-class-action-lawsuit/

And I don't want to even get started on GoFundMe.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gofundme that bad huh? I will definitely build the website I have already gotten a company to do it, I just don't know if the website will take off. If you message me I'll share
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Gofundme that bad huh? I will definitely build the website I have already gotten a company to do it, I just don't know if the website will take off. If you message me I'll share

That is why you build an MVP / Prototype to test the idea saving you money in cost etc at the beginning as you don't know whether it will take off or fail.  MVPs cost less than $5,000.

I don't know how far they have gone building the site, but if I were in your shoes, I'd have them build it bare bones nothing fancy with the most important features.  Then make it a Closed Beta where people who test the site are invited.

Generally, you can have a few of your family members and then most importantly strangers ~ 100 people.  They come to the site, test it and then give you feedback.  The reason why you need strangers is  because they are more likely to be blunt and honest in their assessment without hurting your feelings unlike your family.

Once, you get feedback and a general idea of what people like and don't like, you then go back to the drawing board and build the site to integrate the most important functions and then go from there.

Remember, ideas are not worth anything until they are properly executed.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.