Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New AMEX metal *GOLD* cards!

tag
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

New AMEX metal *GOLD* cards!

I merely called to see if I have an retention offers on my platinum card because honestly, I need to downgrade. I happen to mention that I actually like the metal card and the CSR  said that the GOLD will be a metal card by the end of next year!

Just thought I'd pass along a little info.

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 1 of 246
245 REPLIES 245
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New AMEX metal *GOLD* cards!

Will it be solid 24K gold?  For the annual fees they charge, it should be!

Message 2 of 246
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

That's a pretty interesting development. I just got approved for the PRG last month.

If it indeed becomes reality I can foresee the forums being flooded with all kinds of AmEx PRG threads, just like CSP, Venture and recently the WF Propel CC 😄
Message 3 of 246
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Hmmmm. I really like the idea of a metal card but I like the shiney sparkles of the current gold card. 🤷

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 4 of 246
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

I got TSA PreCheck, now I have to get Global Entry before I switch. For the annual fee, I'm not traveling nearly as much as I should and it's not worth it as a daily driver/EDC or whatever you want to call it. I have about 150k points, so I don't want to let that go, so a switcharoo is what I'll do.

I also have my BCP which I love and I'm making it worth it's fee and then some. 

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 5 of 246
Misco
New Visitor

@Anonymous wrote:

The AmEx metal cards are 0.7 oz. Assuming the weight in gold would be the same, that would be about $824.

Message 6 of 246
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just closed my PRG yesterday (and my Business Gold). Just in time too... my wallet would have been too heavy from all these companies and their metal cards! Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 246
jb1280
Valued Member

That certainly makes sense, particularly given the current rebranding and marketing effort.

I imagine:

PRG will be based on current Platinum Card design language

Blue Cash cards will look like the Cash Magnet Card

Everyday Cards will have Cash Magnet design language, but be a different color

Co-branded cards will eventually transition to member name and date on front, and card number and expiry on back. 

Message 8 of 246
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

@Misco wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The AmEx metal cards are 0.7 oz. Assuming the weight in gold would be the same, that would be about $824.

If I'm thinking this through correctly, it would weigh a lot more than 0.7oz if it were solid gold and the same dimmensions given the higher density of the material. 

Message 9 of 246
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Schwartzinator wrote:

@Misco wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If I'm thinking this through correctly, it would weigh a lot more than 0.7oz if it were solid gold and the same dimmensions given the higher density of the material. 

19.3 g/cm^3

It amuses me in movies when some slender person purportedly carries ~300 lbs of gold in a briefcase with one hand and little effort.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 10 of 246
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.