Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New AMEX metal *GOLD* cards!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Rose Gold

I ordered my non contactless Rose Gold the day the card came out so maybe Amex made a last minute decision after the launch. I can't think of a good enough reason why they would stop making the non contactless Rose Gold other than maybe they want to make contactless standard across all cards...which doesn't make sense since they are allegedly telling people the regular Gold card has non contactless capabilities.

Regardless, it's poor planning because they should have had those conversations before releasing the card because now it makes their brand and representatives look like they don't have their stuff together...

@Anonymous wrote:

The weird thing is that people were definitely able to get non-contactless versions of the new cards before. I'm leaning towards general incompetence by CS, but assuming they did kill that option, why?

@Anonymous wrote:

The weird thing is that people were definitely able to get non-contactless versions of the new cards before. I'm leaning towards general incompetence by CS, but assuming they did kill that option, why?

Message 151 of 246
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex PRG Just Got Better! $250 AF

Okay so how many of you are still waiting for the gold metal version via snail mail? ::: raising hand :::

Message 152 of 246
Anonymous
Not applicable

So looks like the first card the rep cancelled to instead send a non contactless was the first one I received last week. I ended up receiving the non contactless today. Since no one has commented on the differences here it is. 

They are literally the same thing altough for whatever reason the contactless feels more rigid and not as easy to bend. But they feel the same weight. I don't have a scale unfortunetly. I wonder if this is due to the larger chip in the contactless? 

Anyway the NON contactless is still sandwhiched, it just doesn't have the contactless chip in there. 

Here are the pics: 

20181027_163303.jpg20181027_164316.jpg20181027_164128.jpg

Message 153 of 246
Anonymous
Not applicable

Posting this here as well as there are two threads on the gold card on SmorgasBoard.

So looks like the first card the rep cancelled to instead send a non contactless was the first one I received last week. I ended up receiving the non contactless today. Since no one has commented on the differences here it is. 

They are literally the same thing altough for whatever reason the contactless feels more rigid and not as easy to bend. But they feel the same weight. I don't have a scale unfortunetly. I wonder if this is due to the larger chip in the contactless? 

Anyway the NON contactless is still sandwhiched, it just doesn't have the contactless chip in there. 

Here are the pics: 20181027_163303.jpg20181027_164316.jpg20181027_164128.jpg

Message 154 of 246
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is weird as I just got off the phone with CSR as my orig upgrade request was lost in the mail so I asked and confirmed that the resend will be contactless vs. the usual swipe and smile quite the opposite? I'll keep you posted when I actually get it and see what arrives... NOTE: good luck on the 'Rose Gold' for those who want this option sounds like a long wait and coming if that. I wanted to test the waters heheh...

Message 155 of 246
Soelden
Established Member

Thank you, Ive been waiting for this info before I requested one!  Thats disappointing I was def hoping for a solid metal card.  Oh well.

Scores 07/2020:
Message 156 of 246
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol, wonder what could be the reason for the sandwiching even though there is no contactless.....
Message 157 of 246
Anonymous
Not applicable

They probably didn't care enough to spend money on a thicker metal version (kept that for the exclusivity of the platinum) so to keep things uniform they just remove the chip and call it good. 

Anyway after comparing both side by side... weight, and rigidity, i prefer the contactless. Found it slightly harder to flex.

Message 158 of 246
kerplunk
Frequent Contributor

I received my non-contactless Gold Card today... finally.

Very disappointed.

They both weigh the same (14 grams), but for some reason it feels slightly lighter.

They both have the sandwich construction. I plan on going with the non-contactless because it looks better IMO, but I wish it was more metal.

Also, the contactless card I got is perfectly flat, while the non-contactless card is lightly raised in the middle when laid down on a flat surface.

Message 159 of 246
Anonymous
Not applicable

do I understand correctly that folks were seeking the non-contacless version due to speculation that such card would be made more of metal than plastic?  Fortunately it looks like there really isn't a difference. 

Personally I wish all of my cards were contactless - I find that many card readers, whether it's traditional swipe or chip reader - scratch up the card even after just 1 purchase attempt.  I got the Savor right when it came out, used it contactless every time until one store's machine was busted and put it in the chip reader - light scratch.  The next time I was at a store where the reader is behind the counter and the clerk jammed it in the machine - the light scratch turned into a white line going through the word 'savor'.  It's almost like the nicer the card the less I actually want to use them.  I would use Apple/Google Pay if I wasn't so worried about the disclaimers that you might not get properly categorized into your rewards categories.  

btw extra data point - concurring with whomever pointed out the AU/primary cardholder color coordination. 

I did the chat method to request the Rose Gold for my wife(AU) and Gold for myself.  Both cards came in gold.  Called CS and requested rose gold for AU, was told it will take a while.  Meanwhile my Apple Pay and online account have been updated to show my card as rose gold.  AU online account also shows rose gold.  So I guess I'm getting a rose gold in the mail for myself as well.......

Message 160 of 246
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.