cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New AMEX metal *GOLD* cards!

Your FICO® Scores can impact your loan interest rates, terms, approvals and more.
Contributor

Re: Amex PRG Just Got Better! $250 AF

do I understand correctly that folks were seeking the non-contacless version due to speculation that such card would be made more of metal than plastic?  Fortunately it looks like there really isn't a difference. 

Personally I wish all of my cards were contactless - I find that many card readers, whether it's traditional swipe or chip reader - scratch up the card even after just 1 purchase attempt.  I got the Savor right when it came out, used it contactless every time until one store's machine was busted and put it in the chip reader - light scratch.  The next time I was at a store where the reader is behind the counter and the clerk jammed it in the machine - the light scratch turned into a white line going through the word 'savor'.  It's almost like the nicer the card the less I actually want to use them.  I would use Apple/Google Pay if I wasn't so worried about the disclaimers that you might not get properly categorized into your rewards categories.  

btw extra data point - concurring with whomever pointed out the AU/primary cardholder color coordination. 

I did the chat method to request the Rose Gold for my wife(AU) and Gold for myself.  Both cards came in gold.  Called CS and requested rose gold for AU, was told it will take a while.  Meanwhile my Apple Pay and online account have been updated to show my card as rose gold.  AU online account also shows rose gold.  So I guess I'm getting a rose gold in the mail for myself as well.......

started tracking Experian - Starting Score:523 | Current Score:672 | Goal Score:740
now tracking all 3

2/20/19
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 71 of 80
Regular Contributor

Don't you just love it when your card gets jammed in that reader by a clerk to a point with no regard? (I think I need that special thrust or forcefull swipe so it can register the transactions...) Yep the new Gold Metal is contactless and with ApplePay makes it easier for moi to avoid these types of I'ma bust your card in half ;P

"Give me liberty, or give me credit!" -PlasticDad

Message 72 of 80
Regular Contributor

@Steemax wrote:

So looks like the first card the rep cancelled to instead send a non contactless was the first one I received last week. I ended up receiving the non contactless today. Since no one has commented on the differences here it is. 

They are literally the same thing altough for whatever reason the contactless feels more rigid and not as easy to bend. But they feel the same weight. I don't have a scale unfortunetly. I wonder if this is due to the larger chip in the contactless? 

Anyway the NON contactless is still sandwhiched, it just doesn't have the contactless chip in there. 

Here are the pics: 

20181027_163303.jpg20181027_164316.jpg20181027_164128.jpg

Thanks for clarifying this, based on other posts, I was under the impression that the non contactless wasn't sandwiched. 

Message 73 of 80
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Is AMEX gold is Metal now?

This may have been discussed multiple times, but is AMEX Gold a Metal card now? I had PRG long time back and cancelled the card. Recently just got approved for the Gold card and was wondering if it is metal card now. Back when i used to have it, was plastic. Also do they send the card via UPS just like Platinum ?

Starting Score: EQ: 499
Current Score: FICO 8 EX: 733, EQ: 724, TU: 744, FICO 9 EX: 774, EQ: 765, TU: 769

Shell FCU : 5K, CreditOne: 700, BBVACompass Express Loan : $35000
Message 74 of 80
Regular Contributor

Re: Is AMEX gold is Metal now?

Not as hefty as their Platinum big brothers but personal and business Gold cards are both now metal.

Not certain how they are sent.

Message 75 of 80
Established Contributor

@TheRationalConsumer wrote:

Not as hefty as their Platinum big brothers but personal and business Gold cards are both now metal.

Not certain how they are sent.

Thanks. 

Current Score: FICO 8 EX: 733, EQ: 724, TU: 744, FICO 9 EX: 774, EQ: 765, TU: 769

Message 76 of 80
Valued Contributor

My card came via USPS.

Starting Scores FICO 8 (Feb '18):
EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545

Current Scores

Message 77 of 80
Established Contributor

@19eighty5 wrote:

My card came via USPS.

Yes i think that’s what they do. I needed the card before Monday since going out of country for a trip but dont think i will get in time.

Message 78 of 80
New Contributor

metal... UPS for me. in a nice package. unmarked

FICO 8:
EQ-835
TU-836
EX-833
Discover IT - 23.5k @18.24%
Macys Amex - 7.5k @26.99%
Chase Amazon - 2k @21.49%
Chase Sapphire Preferred - 12.2k @17.24%
Amex Gold (NPSL)
Message 79 of 80
Established Contributor

@Rickd21 wrote:

metal... UPS for me. in a nice package. unmarked

Thanks. Called them and figured out it was sent via usps ... smh

Message 80 of 80