Did you mean: 

New sports bike

tag
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Re: New sports bike

@Open123 wrote:

@dodfire wrote:

OPEN....true you are an adult and can do what you want. Just that my opinion is there is no ME or MY money in a marriage, however some tend to be different.

I think new Sports Bikes are around $10k yes?

If my wife wanted to go treat herself on a shopping spree for $200-$300 without my consent that would be fine....

IF I came home and she surprised me with a HONEY LOOK WHAT I BOUGHT for $10k-$12k item.....WOW !!! Just WOW!!! Im not sure exactly what I would do.....

Your relationship must be much different than most.....so best of luck with that. 

She has her own accounts, and so do I.  In CA, we can have invidicual CC accounts etc...This portion is mine and from my year end's bonus I get every March.

She has her own accounts as do I, and our joint too.  For me, I don't need her permission to buy things I'd like, and don't expect her to seek mine.  In my view, I don't need her permission to buy a sports bike, but certainly would need to explain it.  

Well you should not be concerned about it then..... Congrats on your new bike!

*8/10/13
Message 11 of 33
Open123
Super Contributor

@dodfire wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@dodfire wrote:

OPEN....true you are an adult and can do what you want. Just that my opinion is there is no ME or MY money in a marriage, however some tend to be different.

If my wife wanted to go treat herself on a shopping spree for $200-$300 without my consent that would be fine....

IF I came home and she surprised me with a HONEY LOOK WHAT I BOUGHT for $10k-$12k item.....WOW !!! Just WOW!!! Im not sure exactly what I would do.....

Your relationship must be much different than most.....so best of luck with that. 

She has her own accounts, and so do I.  In CA, we can have invidicual CC accounts etc...This portion is mine and from my year end's bonus I get every March.

She has her own accounts as do I, and our joint too.  For me, I don't need her permission to buy things I'd like, and don't expect her to seek mine.  In my view, I don't need her permission to buy a sports bike, but certainly would need to explain it.  

Thanks!  

It really isn't a serious concern, the sort where it would be if instead of buying a bike, I bought someone dinner I shouldn't have.  LOL  

My intention for this thread was for it to be a "tongue-in-cheek" one on the often comical banter between husband and wives over minor differences.  It certainly wasn't meant to be serious; and, I'm quite frankly suprised it has ellicited the sort of "Dr. Phil" types of replies.  

Even my wife would be suprised and amused at the same time if she read this thread. 

Message 12 of 33
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

I'm not seeing where you get tongue in cheek.

Okay, so you have separate accounts and a solid relationship. Good.

But it looks like you feel the need to lie about the holiday and make the purchase both when your wife wasn't looking and over her objections. Okay, so maybe you have the kind of relationship (and finances) where a $10k purchase is no big deal and she understands and accepts that her objections don't carry any weight.

But if so, why the subterfuge?

Message 13 of 33
dodfire
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@dodfire wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@dodfire wrote:

Thanks!  

It really isn't a serious concern, the sort where I would be if instead of buying a bike, I bought someone dinner I shouldn't have.  LOL  

My intention for this thread was for it to be a "tongue-in-cheek" one on the often comical banter between husband and wives over minor differences.  It certainly wasn't meant to be serious; and, I'm quite frankly suprised it has ellicited the sort of "Dr. Phil" types of replies.  

Even my wife who be suprised if she read this thread.  

Im no Dr Phil and certainly do not mean to offend you in any way...Im just putting in my 2 cents! As I said before, you are obviously in a different type of relationship than any that I have seen or heard of.

I think that the majority of people here or any other place would agree that a purchase such as this is not a comical banter or a minor difference.

**Unless maybe you are the financial equivalent of Bill Gates!!  In which case I doubt you would be lurking around on a credit forum.

*8/10/13
Message 14 of 33
Open123
Super Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

I'm not seeing where you get tongue in cheek.

Okay, so you have separate accounts and a solid relationship. Good.

But it looks like you feel the need to lie about the holiday and make the purchase both when your wife wasn't looking and over her objections. Okay, so maybe you have the kind of relationship (and finances) where a $10k purchase is no big deal and she understands and accepts that her objections don't carry any weight.

But if so, why the subterfuge?

Thank you for your comments.  I appreciate your insights very much.

Message 15 of 33
Open123
Super Contributor

@dodfire wrote:

Im no Dr Phil and certainly do not mean to offend you in any way...Im just putting in my 2 cents! As I said before, you are obviously in a different type of relationship than any that I have seen or heard of.

I think that the majority of people here or any other place would agree that a purchase such as this is not a comical banter or a minor difference.

**Unless maybe you are the financial equivalent of Bill Gates!!  In which case I doubt you would be lurking around on a credit forum.

Not offended, and I appreciate your views and opinions.  

Clearly, this thread didn't create the sort of "banter" I was hoping for.  Thank you for your insights.

Message 16 of 33
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

Glad I never had a problem with my wife on buying anything.  I bought what I wanted, when I wanted.  I bought cars, hotrods,  bikes, guns, etc, on my own.  One time I almost bought a horse, but I didn't have a place to keep it at home, so I passed on that.  On the other hand, the wife was also able to do the same.  So, it worked out great for us.  By the way, congrats on the new bike, hope you enjoy it. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 17 of 33
Open123
Super Contributor

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

Glad I never had a problem with my wife on buying anything.  I bought what I wanted, when I wanted.  I bought cars, hotrods,  bikes, guns, etc, on my own.  One time I almost bought a horse, but I didn't have a place to keep it at home, so I passed on that.  On the other hand, the wife was also able to do the same.  So, it worked out great for us.  By the way, congrats on the new bike, hope you enjoy it. 

Thanks!  Appreciate it.

Joking aside, I just find the concept of needing anyone's "permission" to be extraordinary.  I'll certainly explain my rationale, listen to views for compromise and all it entails, but the right for me buy anything certainly isn't my wife's to give.

Message 18 of 33
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

I'd say congrats. I ride. Makes sense to me. My old lady will bite her tongue when it comes to my one freedom, as long as the priorities are met first.
Message 19 of 33
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Let's really test the theory.  Buy me one too and see what she says..  Smiley Happy

Congrats on the new bike.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.