Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more cash advance checks please!!!

tag
JonStur
Established Contributor

No more cash advance checks please!!!

Don't know what's happening but I swear for the last two months almost all of my credit cards have been flooding my mailbox with these. I'm starting to get paper cuts on my fingers from turning them into confetti lol.. I used to get the occasional random one, but from practically all of them?? Time to fire up the paper shredder I guess...

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
kiea
Frequent Contributor

Re: No more cash advance checks please!!!

I have the same issue.  I'm not sure where they are getting my information from but I get a few of them each week 

Start of rebuild July 2021

January 2022
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

you can call each lender and ask them to stop sending you convenience checks. 

Message 3 of 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

you can call each lender and ask them to stop sending you convenience checks. 

This. Just call and ask to not receive any more convenience checks.

Keep in mind that credit card usage dropped off considerably as the pandemic took hold and the issuers are now trying to get money moving again.  Many of us here have been inundated over the last couple of months with convenience checks and similar offers of cash advances like a Citi Flex Loan as well as preapprovals for various types of personal loans. 

Barring making phone calls be sure to keep your shredder handy.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 8
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

Yah, same here!

It's downright annoying - the convenience checks and offers to use a "LOC" against your card...

I'd rather get a pre-approved - no HP card offers than cash advance or balance transfer offers...

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was getting balance transfer checks from Discover nearly every month. I phoned earlier this year and asked them to stop. Disco still mails me occasional BT offers, but thankfully, checks are no longer enclosed.

Message 6 of 8
JonStur
Established Contributor

I agree completely. Or better yet start tossing out massive credit line increases, then I'll be impressed. Even though it still wouldn't matter because I never carry balances on my accounts..

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 7 of 8
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Big difference between cash advance and balance transfer checks...

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.