Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS3 or PS4?

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

PS3 or PS4?

Just curious, for those in the market for a new Playstation, would you opt for the 3 or 4?  Why?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
CashOnDelivery
Established Contributor

Re: PS3 or PS4?

@Open123 wrote:

Just curious, for those in the market for a new Playstation, would you opt for the 3 or 4?  Why?

Thanks!

Yes, my kind of topic! It all depends of what consider yourself; casual gamer vs. gamer vs. Hardcore gamer and what you're looking for. I could on with specific details, but here's an overview

PS3

-Market "failure" during release in 2006. (IMO,I feel that it was ahead of its time in 2006)

-Long install times, system updates

-Most games have good replay value and still has a good "shelf" life

-The PS3 at the moment is the most cost effective and space saving system (Legacy Bundle/500 GB-$299)

-Entertainment system in one; game system + Blu-ray player + Netlix, Hulu, etc

PS4

-Favorable reviews and primed to be hit at launch (Unlike the when the PS3 was launched)

-System updates are downloaded seamlessly in the background without interruption

-No restrictions with used games

-Faster read times (3x for PS3 vs. 27x for PS4)

-It's not watching you

-Doesn't have to be online

-$100 more than PS3 Legacy Bundle and $100 cheaper than Xbox One

-No DRM restrictions

-Able to use your VIta to stream games on which is great for those who own one

I could on and on....

2010: 475 EQ 2011: 503 EQ 2012: 600 EQ2013:632 EQ
Starting Score: 634 EQ-3/13/13
Current Score: 706 EQ-8/29/13 703 EX-7/12/13 705 TU-8/9/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 30
enharu
Super Contributor

Definitely the 4 once it's out. Could always get a PS3 in the meantime though Smiley Happy

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 30
Open123
Super Contributor

@CashOnDelivery wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Thanks!

Yes, my kind of topic! It all depends of what consider yourself; casual gamer vs. gamer vs. Hardcore gamer and what you're looking for. I could on with specific details, but here's an overview

PS3

-Market "failure" during release in 2006. (IMO,I feel that it was ahead of its time in 2006)

-Long install times, system updates

-Most games have good replay value and still has a good "shelf" life

-The PS3 at the moment is the most cost effective and space saving system (Legacy Bundle/500 GB-$299)

-Entertainment system in one; game system + Blu-ray player + Netlix, Hulu, etc

PS4

-Favorable reviews and primed to be hit at launch (Unlike the when the PS3 was launched)

-System updates are downloaded seamlessly in the background without interruption

-No restrictions with used games

-Faster read times (3x for PS3 vs. 27x for PS4)

-It's not watching you

-Doesn't have to be online

-$100 more than PS3 Legacy Bundle and $100 cheaper than Xbox One

-No DRM restrictions

-Able to use your VIta to stream games on which is great for those who own one

I could on and on....

Great summary!

I used stay on top of every aspect of gaming from the PC to PS3 to Xbox, etc...but haven't had the time in recent years.  I've always been a PS guy and remember buying the original PS3 at launch.  Remember back then when true 1080p was a big deal?  LOL

Do you think there's any reason to pre-order?  Do you see demand so great initially where the price will increase post launch?

Message 4 of 30
Open123
Super Contributor

@enharu wrote:

Definitely the 4 once it's out. Could always get a PS3 in the meantime though Smiley Happy

I had the original PS3 when it first launched!  60 GB model since I was too frugal to spring for the 80.

However, my dilemma is since my PS3 no longer works, buying the PS4 would mean my 100 or so games are now paperweights, since there's no backwards compatability with the PS4.  

And, also, November is a long wait to go without any gaming.  Truth be told, I use the PS for MLB TV, Blue rays and all the smart TV stuff.  PS3 was one of the best things I've ever bought for the money.

Message 5 of 30
enharu
Super Contributor

You can check out Amazon and target. sometimes there's really good offers for PS3.

You could get it now and use it even after the PS4 is out, especially since you can't go w/o gaming for a few months!

I like my PS3 alot even though I don't play it as much nowadays. It's mostly just a blu-ray player for me now.

I even spent $350 upgrading the HDD to SSD :/

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 30
CashOnDelivery
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

I had the original PS3 when it first launched!  60 GB model since I was too frugal to spring for the 80.

However, my dilemma is since my PS3 no longer works, buying the PS4 would mean my 100 or so games are now paperweights, since there's no backwards compatability with the PS4.  

And, also, November is a long wait to go without any gaming.  Truth be told, I use the PS for MLB TV, Blue rays and all the smart TV stuff.  PS3 was one of the best things I've ever bought for the money.

I may sound like a PS3 homer, but I have 2 PS3's, 60 GB model and a PS3 slim. I have both because of the backwards compatibility on the 60 GB and the slim for heavy usage. What I noticed from most users of the 60 GB is that it tends to overheat and shut off. I had that happen once and i was worried about my data. It's fine  now but I only use the 60 GB for my PS2 games.

As far as your PS3 games, I wouldn't consider them paperweights. You could sell them on ebay or craiglist. I would NOT recommend traded them to game stop or Best Buy for that matter (Unless you want to use that towards a PS4). You have to trade in like 4 or 5 games to get a new game. My thinking is I already spent $40-60 on a game, so why would I have them de-value my game and resell at 3-4x the price.

Since the PS3 has dropped in price, right now is a good time to resell those games on ebay or craiglist.

Just my thoughts on this...

2010: 475 EQ 2011: 503 EQ 2012: 600 EQ2013:632 EQ
Starting Score: 634 EQ-3/13/13
Current Score: 706 EQ-8/29/13 703 EX-7/12/13 705 TU-8/9/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 30
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I purchased the original PS3 when it launched in 2006 for my DS. I just pre-ordered the PS4 for my DH ( yep, that's right). Anyway, my DS loves his 'fatboy' and uses it for online games. We did utilize Sonys refurbishment program last Summer when his system wouldn't read discs. A phone call, $120 later a replacement was shipped to me.

To date, I've never played a single game.
Message 8 of 30
Open123
Super Contributor

@CashOnDelivery wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

I may sound like a PS3 homer, but I have 2 PS3's, 60 GB model and a PS3 slim. I have both because of the backwards compatibility on the 60 GB and the slim for heavy usage. What I noticed from most users of the 60 GB is that it tends to overheat and shut off. I had that happen once and i was worried about my data. It's fine  now but I only use the 60 GB for my PS2 games.

As far as your PS3 games, I wouldn't consider them paperweights. You could sell them on ebay or craiglist. I would NOT recommend traded them to game stop or Best Buy for that matter (Unless you want to use that towards a PS4). You have to trade in like 4 or 5 games to get a new game. My thinking is I already spent $40-60 on a game, so why would I have them de-value my game and resell at 3-4x the price.

Since the PS3 has dropped in price, right now is a good time to resell those games on ebay or craiglist.

Just my thoughts on this...

My PS3 was great for the ability to play all the PS2 games.  I think my system overheated with the blue light and won't turn on now.  I could probably fix it by opening it up and using a heat gun on the mothering board to resaunder some of the circuits, but not sure if it'll last heavy usage.

Regarding selling games, I'm not a big fan of ebay.  Do you know if amzn marketplace may be an alternative to sell them?

Message 9 of 30
Open123
Super Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
I purchased the original PS3 when it launched in 2006 for my DS. I just pre-ordered the PS4 for my DH ( yep, that's right). Anyway, my DS loves his 'fatboy' and uses it for online games. We did utilize Sonys refurbishment program last Summer when his system wouldn't read discs. A phone call, $120 later a replacement was shipped to me.

To date, I've never played a single game.

Never played a game?  Oh, you've no idea what you're missing!

Never thought about calling Sony.  Didn't even realize they still supported my PS3, since it's such an old system.  Whom did you pre-order from?  Best Buy? Any advantages to pre-ordering?

Thanks!

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.