Did you mean: 

Passport Renewal

tag
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Passport Renewal

@Horseshoez wrote:

Status Update...

I got a packet from the National Passport Processing center in Irving, TX (my application was mailed to Philadelphia, PA) today with my application, check, and expired passport enclosed, along with a letter stating my photo, taken at a local post office, wasn't good enough.  Seriously?  It sure looks like it follows all of the rules.

My wife, rarely a "glass is half full" kind of woman, laughed and said, this is good news, you've lost so much COVID weight in the last six weeks you'll take a better picture this time around.  Smiley Tongue

@Horseshoez

Sorry that your photo was rejected.

Thousands get rejected daily, mostly selfies or DIY at-home photos, none meeting the basic acceptable standards.  Passport Services require high-resolution images.

Sometimes, post-office photos get rejected when there's an equipment issue, agent error, or photo mishandling during the chain of custody.

Keep in mind that when you send in your new photo, your envelope/package will be forwarded to State Dept screening, then routed back to the passport agency. There will be a delay in processing. If you need your passport sooner, you can contact the National Passport Information Center to upgrade your application to Expedited.

Your wife is right, you'll probably be much more pleased with your new photo!

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 11 of 35
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Gunnerboy wrote:

Keep in mind that when you send in your new photo, your envelope/package will be forwarded to State Dept screening, then routed back to the passport agency. There will be a delay in processing. If you need your passport sooner, you can contact the National Passport Information Center to upgrade your application to Expedited.

Interesting, they made it sound like I had to resubmit my application as if it was my first attempt.  Why will it be forwarded to the State Department on the second time around?

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 12 of 35
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

Interesting, they made it sound like I had to resubmit my application as if it was my first attempt.  Why will it be forwarded to the State Department on the second time around?

Its federal security guidelines to send deliveries from unknown/untrusted sources to get screened (irradiated) for biological agents.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 13 of 35
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

And one more update...

I visited my friendly neighborhood post office today to have yet another passport photo taken.  This time the agent took my packet from me, examined the application and the check, removed the "rejected" photo (she said it looked perfectly acceptable), stapled my old passport onto the new application, and then took me "down the hall" to have my photo taken.  She then stapled the new photo onto the application and dropped it into a a pre-printed Priority Mail envelope she pulled from a drawer; I was then directed me back to the front of the post office where she charged me for the service and the  Priority Mailing, and gave me the receipt.  I found it interesting I was not allowed to get anywhere near the application once she'd taken possession of it.

She said to not expect the new passport for up to 18-weeks; that means mid-November before I'll get the passport, fully 6-months after I sent my first application.  Quite the streamlined process I'd say.  Smiley Tongue

Message 14 of 35
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

And one more update...

I visited my friendly neighborhood post office today to have yet another passport photo taken.  This time the agent took my packet from me, examined the application and the check, removed the "rejected" photo (she said it looked perfectly acceptable), stapled my old passport onto the new application, and then took me "down the hall" to have my photo taken.  She then stapled the new photo onto the application and dropped it into a a pre-printed Priority Mail envelope she pulled from a drawer; I was then directed me back to the front of the post office where she charged me for the service and the  Priority Mailing, and gave me the receipt.  I found it interesting I was not allowed to get anywhere near the application once she'd taken possession of it.

She said to not expect the new passport for up to 18-weeks; that means mid-November before I'll get the passport, fully 6-month after I sent my first application.  Quite the streamlined process I'd say.  Smiley Tongue

The agent should've only taken a new photo for you, then have you return it - along with the response letter you received.

So, did she fill out a new DS-82 renewal application for you?  If so, then your application was "re-executed", meaning the process starts all over again.  Your old renewal application is in suspended status waiting for a new photo.

Message 15 of 35
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Gunnerboy wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

And one more update...

She said to not expect the new passport for up to 18-weeks; that means mid-November before I'll get the passport, fully 6-month after I sent my first application.  Quite the streamlined process I'd say.  Smiley Tongue

The agent should've only taken a new photo for you, then have you return it - along with the response letter you received.

So, did she fill out a new DS-82 renewal application for you?  If so, then your application was "re-executed", meaning the process starts all over again.  Your old renewal application is in suspended status waiting for a new photo.

She resent my original application, with the original check still attached; to that she stapled my old passport and my new photo.

Message 16 of 35
DONZI
Established Contributor

I went to the local tax office with my forms and a photo from walgreens (needed to submit a DS-64 also) -- the photo from walgreens was rejected so I got a new one made at the tax office.

Paid for expedited service and they sent it out for me on roughly June 3rd, 2021.

..I had no travel dates at the time to provide on the DS-11.

Expedited service check paid on June 9th.. Passport arrived on July 17th.

2014 credit2020 credit2021 credit2023 credit
paypal credit imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecharge card image
[2020-12-09]=[EQ8|786]-[TU8|746]-[EX8|772] .... gardening until I can't (again).
[2023-10-01]=[EQ8|797]-[TU8|776]-[EX8|775]
Message 17 of 35
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Wow, I'm impressed, congratulations!  I figure I'm still on track for getting my passport sometime in October or November.  Smiley Tongue

Message 18 of 35
DONZI
Established Contributor

Thanks! Very happy it turned out the way it did!

Trip planned early Aug and was dreading the whole alternate process of trying to call, make an appt at a 'agency' office a few hundred miles away and all the tight time requirements.

Going to be challenge enough I suspect trying to get a negative covid result that is no older than 72 hours to get on the flight. ugg.

I hope your passport arrives in ample time for you need!

2014 credit2020 credit2021 credit2023 credit
paypal credit imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecharge card image
[2020-12-09]=[EQ8|786]-[TU8|746]-[EX8|772] .... gardening until I can't (again).
[2023-10-01]=[EQ8|797]-[TU8|776]-[EX8|775]
Message 19 of 35
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

A quick update...

I just happened to be looking at my checking account online while paying some bills and noticed the check I wrote out back on 10-May-2021 was presented for payment last Thursday, 29-Jul-2021; progress indeed!

At this point I'm thinking since they didn't cash the check the first time I applied for a renewal, and given they did this time around, it is just a matter of time before I get my new passport without any more red tape.  Smiley Happy  Good thing too, there is at least a 30% chance I'll need to travel internationally before the end of the year.  Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.