cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed new credit card designs with the numbers on the back!

tag
timbalero
Established Member

PenFed new credit card designs with the numbers on the back!

The other day I noticed on PenFed's website that the credit card image renders looked different. The long 16 digit card number was no longer present on the front and the "title" of each card was slightly tweaked, with the word "PenFed" no longer appearing on the front either. For a while I've thought it was weird that my Power Cash Rewards card was my only credit card that had the whole card number on the front; most other banks and credit unions have switched to putting the number on the back so the front looks cleaner and more modern.

I immediately ordered a replacement card online and just got it today almost two weeks later, and I'm happy to report the image on the website is accurate! The number and expiration date are now on the back, resulting in a cleaner, less busy look on the front.

I don't know how many people who read this will even care, but I'm posting this in case anyone actually does and decides to order a replacement card. It seems to be an across-the-board change for all of their credit cards. If anyone wants a pic comparing the old and new designs for the PCR, just ask. I did take one before shredding the old card.

Discover It $8.5kAmEx BCE $20kWF Autograph $11.9kPenFed PCR $17kCap1 SavorOne $8kCap1 Quicksilver $10kCap1 360 CheckingFidelity CMA
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
everest
Frequent Contributor

Re: PenFed new credit card designs with the numbers on the back!

Your post found someone that cared! Smiley Very Happy

I noticed the tweak as well earlier when scrolling on the PenFed website, but it's nice to see it confirmed that the card art has in fact changed -- the grey-blue of the Platinum Rewards still looks great as ever, of course also considering the 5x on Gas and 3x at Target and Walmart.

For some reason, I appreciated the card design by PenFed on their cards, despite the card numbers on the front, but would appreciate if you would share the change comparing the old and new cards! (Thank you in advance!) Though I don't have any PenFed cards of my own, I'm sure DM wouldn't mind a new shiny replacement card Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 6
timbalero
Established Member

@everest wrote:

Your post found someone that cared! Smiley Very Happy

Woot! Then it wasn't pointless!

@everest wrote:

would appreciate if you would share the change comparing the old and new cards! (Thank you in advance!)

Sure! Here you go.

IMG_0290 copy.JPG

Discover It $8.5kAmEx BCE $20kWF Autograph $11.9kPenFed PCR $17kCap1 SavorOne $8kCap1 Quicksilver $10kCap1 360 CheckingFidelity CMA
Message 3 of 6
Tdatb64
New Contributor

Personally, I prefer name/number/expiration date on the front of the card. It just looks kinda stupid to me, otherwise, and puts too much on the back. And what sense does it make to remove the financial institution's name from the front? Just makes it harder for those with a full deck of cards to keep track of, I would think.

But, hey, I'm old so all change just for change's sake annoys me...

Message 4 of 6
timbalero
Established Member

@Tdatb64 wrote:

Personally, I prefer name/number/expiration date on the front of the card. It just looks kinda stupid to me, otherwise, and puts too much on the back. And what sense does it make to remove the financial institution's name from the front? Just makes it harder for those with a full deck of cards to keep track of, I would think.

But, hey, I'm old so all change just for change's sake annoys me...

I agree name should stay on the front, but adding anything else makes the front look quite busy IMO. Sure, it ends up making the back look busy instead but that's fine with me as I only look back there when typing out my card number for online shopping. Otherwise when I pull out the card to use it in public, I never even have to look at the back.

As for the financial institution's name not being on the front, honestly PenFed is the only one that I'm aware of that does that now (not counting co-branded cards). Their decision puzzles me, as why wouldn't they want the free advertising when using it in public? Their pentagon logo is still on there, though.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great news, I like the clean look. Now if only we had the option of getting rid of raised numbers on cards(chase, usaa). 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.