Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phishing phone calls and Emails

tag
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Phishing phone calls and Emails

Received several weird phone calls from a foreign man who claimed to be from the "IRS crime investigation unit" calling from 206-414-4646 and said that if I didn't pay or failed to comply, the police would be at my house in 30 minutes. It's been over an hour and I'm still waiting on the police. Lol. DONT fall victim to this crime! The IRS will not call and threaten you.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
GFer
Valued Contributor

Re: Phishing phone calls and Emails

I never answer emails or calls from people/numbers I'm not familiar with. NEVER

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
Carrie_in_Pa
Established Member

I actually did receive a call once from the IRS requesting verification of personal information and they threatened me with taking my tax returns for years.

All i had to do was ask to call them back, i requested an extension/employee number. I went to the IRS website and got a number and was able to get back to the same person that called me. It turns out that someone else tried claim my daughter as a dependent before i filed my return. What a pain in the butt to fix. For that i just had to email them a scanned copy of my custody order proving i had her 100% of the time.

Anytime someone calls you and you are suspicious, call them back at a legit number and then you know.

Starting Score: 382 - 418 (2005) -- Current Score: 628 (TU08) -- 661 (Beacon 5.0) -- Goal Score: 750+
Into the Garden 6-15-2014 -- Digging in the dirt until 6-2015
Message 3 of 6
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I googled the number and it pops up as a suspect number. Also the IRS never calls you by phone. They send you notification via snail mail only.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 4 of 6
Carrie_in_Pa
Established Member

@maiden_girl wrote:

I googled the number and it pops up as a suspect number. Also the IRS never calls you by phone. They send you notification via snail mail only.

They called me. I didn't get anything in the mail until afterwards.

Starting Score: 382 - 418 (2005) -- Current Score: 628 (TU08) -- 661 (Beacon 5.0) -- Goal Score: 750+
Message 5 of 6
Carrie_in_Pa
Established Member

This is what the IRS has to say about it:

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-Warns-of-Pervasive-Telephone-Scam

There's directions on what to do if you get one of these calls and a link to report it.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.