Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pick just 1 Card...

tag
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

Pick just 1 Card...

So I'm sure this topic has been discussed at nauseaum on this forum.

However, I saw a video by YouTube personality Ernest w/ Trip Astute and he had a collab version with many of the other CC/travel hobbyists on YouTube where they all chose their favorite/which one if they could only have one.

I found it interesting that none of them chose an Amex (with exception to the Hilton Aspire) but no Platinum in particular and 2 for CSR.

I'm curious if this is represented in these forums as well as I know there is a lot of AMEX love out there.

I'm a CSR guy.

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Pick just 1 Card...

Everybody is going to say CSR lol. Personally I’d keep my DC. I like the simplicity of 2% on everything 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 2 of 9
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

I imagine they don’t pick AMEX, especially for travel, because it’s not widely accepted. I don’t have any cards that I can personally choose from experience but from what I’ve read, CSR is up there for travel and possibly UBER for every day. Those two are in my Top 3.

Message 3 of 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Even in the USA, Amex acceptance is too low.

Probably CSR or BofA Premium 2.625%.

With no Schwab Platinum perks and my very low portfolio turnover, I'd consider going back to JPM for a JPM Reserve.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 9
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

I don't qualify for anything unsecured right now, but the card I am most interested in getting is an Amex; however, if I could have only one, I'd pick something else, due to acceptance. Amex is uniquely unsuited to being anyone's one and only credit card. Depending on your needs/goals/interests, it can still be a great second card (or whatever number). JMO

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 5 of 9
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

The lack of acceptance is definitely a factor I thought for the opinions.

I must say though, domestically, I haven't ran into issues hardly at all.

CARDS:
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
Message 6 of 9
iced
Valued Contributor

Above and beyond acceptance, I think there's a few other reasons CSR will continue to win out in the "pick 1 card" hypothetical:

1. The CSR is a more complete package. If you travel, you get 3x UR. If you dine out, you get 3x UR. American Express can emulate these benefits, but it takes two cards to do it. If I can only pick one card, I'll get one that does both well enough.

2. The CSR $300 credit is ridiculously easy to use. The Platinum one sometimes works on airfare, but usually involves some workaround like gift certificates or other hoop to claim.

3. The UR travel partners are just ever so slightly stronger than the MR ones. The difference in this one comes down to redemption cost: there's good UR partners with relatively good redemption valuations, whereas the better MR ones (Delta especially) has terrible mileage redemption value by comparison. CSR also gets 3x internationally on dining; something I hear mixed results with on the American Express Gold.

4. For all of the travel "benefits" on the Platinum, they're largely redundant/meaningless for people who actually travel enough to benefit from the Platinum's other value (5x airfare/prepaid hotel, MR accrual). They're great for casual travelers, but then the MR accrual isn't sufficient to redeem with any frequency without resorting to some form of external supplementing and/or churning. The CSR has fewer travel benefits by comparison, but those benefits are equally useful to both casual travelers and road warriors.

Message 7 of 9
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

@iced wrote:

Above and beyond acceptance, I think there's a few other reasons CSR will continue to win out in the "pick 1 card" hypothetical:

1. The CSR is a more complete package. If you travel, you get 3x UR. If you dine out, you get 3x UR. American Express can emulate these benefits, but it takes two cards to do it. If I can only pick one card, I'll get one that does both well enough.

2. The CSR $300 credit is ridiculously easy to use. The Platinum one sometimes works on airfare, but usually involves some workaround like gift certificates or other hoop to claim.

3. The UR travel partners are just ever so slightly stronger than the MR ones. The difference in this one comes down to redemption cost: there's good UR partners with relatively good redemption valuations, whereas the better MR ones (Delta especially) has terrible mileage redemption value by comparison. CSR also gets 3x internationally on dining; something I hear mixed results with on the American Express Gold.

4. For all of the travel "benefits" on the Platinum, they're largely redundant/meaningless for people who actually travel enough to benefit from the Platinum's other value (5x airfare/prepaid hotel, MR accrual). They're great for casual travelers, but then the MR accrual isn't sufficient to redeem with any frequency without resorting to some form of external supplementing and/or churning. The CSR has fewer travel benefits by comparison, but those benefits are equally useful to both casual travelers and road warriors.

I couldn't agree more. "Complete package" is an accurate description and I hope they dont de value the program any time soon!

CARDS:

BANKS:
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My pick is the USAA Limitless Cashback Rewards Visa Signature Card. At this time travel is not on my radar so cash is king. May change down the road and I would be looking at the Chase Sapphire Reserve Infinite Visa.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.