Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porcelain veneers anyone?

tag
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Porcelain veneers anyone?

I'm getting a new smile.  My 2nd consultation with my dentist is next month.  We're doing a crown first, and changing the fillings to silver.

I'm then getting a couple of porcelain veneers and a laser whitening.  Since dh credit has improved....we've got the CareCredit to cover the Veneers!!!!!  YEAH!!!!!

I'd like to hear your stories if any of you have the lumineers or have gone through cosmetic dentistry.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Porcelain veneers anyone?

My best guyfriend has veneers. I don't have the best opinion of them, from his experience. I'll tell you the reasons why.

First, his dentist told him he would only need veneers on the top and bottom front SIX teeth.. WRONG! But, he took the dentist's advice so, there is a major visible difference when he gives even a half-smile, between those front, blazing white, chiclet teeth, and the yellowed, slightly imperfect teeth off to the sides and back. If you're gonna get them, make sure you have the money and your dentist has the forethought to cover ALL teeth that might have even the *slightest* chance of being exposed with a giant smile.

Second, they occasionally break through. He had one veneer come completely off in the middle of a golf tournament.. had to drop out of the tournament (he is on the fringes of professional golf) because of a stinkin' fake tooth. Another veneer, one of the bottom two front teeth, got a big hole in it, along the gumline on the backside. It came out of nowhere, and was very uncomfortable/painful until he got it fixed two days later. Not to mention the possibility of infection!

I use Crest White Strips.. two boxes over two weeks, every six months. My teeth are white like a mo-fo. But, I have naturally straight teeth, and I know some people get veneers to even out their teeth size and position as well.

I would just be very very careful, and make sure you choose a very reputable dentist, and inquire ahead of time about their repair policy if you have problems later on.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, I work(ed) for a holistic health institute, and have learned LOTS about metal fillings.  I am totally anti-metal after what I've learned, and the not-so-anecdotal case of my neighbor, who got all her metal fillings replaced with ceramic after I showed her this video, and has NO MORE migraines, after suffering from them her entire adult life.

I would ask your dentist for ceramic fillings. They are a little more expensive, and most dentists will try to talk you out of the ceramic if you ask them. But, YOU are the patient and it's your decision. Besides, they look a hell of a lot better (invisible!) than having a mouth full of greyish silvery teeth! I never had a cavity until I was 25, but I got all four filled with ceramic, and my dentist who is very progressive and WISE told me that was the best decision I could make, for my long-term health.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Back in the day the old metal fillings contained mercury. I know someone in their mid 40's who has dentures because she got toxic from all the fillings she had. She also has metal allergies which I am sure threw her over the edge. Good luck to the OP on the veneers.
Message 4 of 10
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Ivy, your guyfriend must have had a terrible dentist. My wife has something wrong with the enamel on her teeth so her real ones decay quickly. She has veneers on her front teeth, and they look perfect, like real teeth. They are slightly off-white because the dentist matched her real teeth.
Message 5 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

athensguy wrote:
Ivy, your guyfriend must have had a terrible dentist. My wife has something wrong with the enamel on her teeth so her real ones decay quickly. She has veneers on her front teeth, and they look perfect, like real teeth. They are slightly off-white because the dentist matched her real teeth.

After the dentist cements the veneers, don't they take new prints of your teeth so you can use a whitening system to whiten your non-veneer teeth?
Message 6 of 10
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Her teeth had already been whitened, but they're still not all the way white.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I'm reading about credit repair and end up here reading about dentistry. Ah, the craziness of the internet.

I thought I'd share my quick story...

I went to Mexico to get major dentistry done because I didn't have insurance at all and needed quite a bit of work. I had serious knee problems since an injury in Army, but it never healed right. Some years later I had 2 of my 4 fillings removed and almost instantly the knee pain was nearly gone. I decided to invest in a new smile and removal of the rest of that metal, but without insurance, I couldn't afford it.

Through the miracle of the internet, I found some U.S. educated dentists in Mexico. Luckily, I live in Houston and could just drive down. I did. I checked them all out and settled on a dentist with a degree (I verified) from USC. I was quoted an average of $8k for everything I needed here in the U.S., but he did it for $4k. For an extra $1k, I spent a week sitting on a beach taking Mexican vicodin and got a check up after 5 days to make sure everything was starting to heal properly.

Awesome.
Message 8 of 10
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

The dentist I'm with has one helluva reputation as a primo guy who knows what he's doing.  I don't think I'll have any problems with *the look*....I'm going with lumineers..not a knock-off.
Message 9 of 10
islandchild82
Frequent Contributor

Good luck, Fish! I'm interested in getting Lumineers down the road as well, so please keep up posted on your experience!
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.