Did you mean: 

Project Car(s)

tag
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: Project Car(s)

@GApeachy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I painted the lower trim on the body to match the silver, used a dye to two-tone the seats and door cards

ETA:

Good job.  I like the two tone seats, it gives it a sporty look.  Which dye brand/type did you use?  Also, what was the original seat color?  I have almond in my motorhome and would like to go to a beige...any recommendations?  All the furniture has been replaced except the two captain's chairs, they are like new. They need a little darkening to match the replacement furniture.

One more question: Application process, any tips and tricks you learned?  thanks

BUMP BUMp BUmp Bump bumpSmiley Frustrated

(I've got all daySmiley TongueSmiley LOLSmiley Very Happy )

@Anonymous  jkSmiley LOL

Seriously though, any advice appreciated as I really want to try this and I can't find anyone that's done it before.  Maybe a 3 shade at most difference.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 51 of 215
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

Noice! 10% more efficiency isn't worth those ugly covers.

Range anxiety is something a lot of owners seem to fixate on, but realistically won't ever run into an issue. I for one, definitely don't mind trading style for efficeiency. Chances are, if you really need the roughly 7 miles extra the Aero wheels give, you were probably going to run out anyway.

Message 52 of 215
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

A staggered set of concave HREs would look fantastic and as a side perk, you could app for an Amex Platinum and blow through the SUB spend just buying the rears!

I was always told that you should generally avoid staggered wheels on an AWD system; though I know BMW and others have implemented this on some models. Since the Tesla's system can react within 10ms, would that make the case for asymetric wheels better or worse?

I've had the Ameriprise Platinum and the Mercedes Benz Platinum. Technically I should still be eligible for the vanilla Platinum, but, I wouldn't be surprised if they came back saying I was ineligible. These are the wheels I'm looking at getting right now

20" Falcon Limited Edition Flow Forged Wheels from Tsportline20" Falcon Limited Edition Flow Forged Wheels from Tsportline

Message 53 of 215
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Schwartzinator wrote:

A staggered set of concave HREs would look fantastic and as a side perk, you could app for an Amex Platinum and blow through the SUB spend just buying the rears!

I was always told that you should generally avoid staggered wheels on an AWD system; though I know BMW and others have implemented this on some models. Since the Tesla's system can react within 10ms, would that make the case for asymetric wheels better or worse?

I've had the Ameriprise Platinum and the Mercedes Benz Platinum. Technically I should still be eligible for the vanilla Platinum, but, I wouldn't be surprised if they came back saying I was ineligible. These are the wheels I'm looking at getting right now

20" Falcon Limited Edition Flow Forged Wheels from Tsportline20" Falcon Limited Edition Flow Forged Wheels from Tsportline

Those look great.

As for staggered wheels, you can easily do it. You have to pay attention to rolling diameter. Keep the rolling diameter of the fronts within 3% of that of the rears and you'll have no issues. It just means that a wider tire will have a lower profile. Look at the f/r sizing for an Audi R8, Lambo Huracan, etc. You can see how they'll lower the aspect ratio on the wider tire to keep the rolling diameters equivalent. Long as you do that, you won't smoke the diff.

Message 54 of 215
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GApeachy wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I painted the lower trim on the body to match the silver, used a dye to two-tone the seats and door cards

ETA:

Good job.  I like the two tone seats, it gives it a sporty look.  Which dye brand/type did you use?  Also, what was the original seat color?  I have almond in my motorhome and would like to go to a beige...any recommendations?  All the furniture has been replaced except the two captain's chairs, they are like new. They need a little darkening to match the replacement furniture.

One more question: Application process, any tips and tricks you learned?  thanks

BUMP BUMp BUmp Bump bumpSmiley Frustrated

(I've got all daySmiley TongueSmiley LOLSmiley Very Happy )

@Anonymous  jkSmiley LOL

Seriously though, any advice appreciated as I really want to try this and I can't find anyone that's done it before.  Maybe a 3 shade at most difference.

Lol sorry 'bout that. I'll dig up the info and let you know. Pretty sure I still have some in the garage!

Message 55 of 215
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Schwartzinator here is a tire calculator that'll allow you to compare different sizes and see the percentage difference as well as speedometer error at 60mph. You can play with different widths and sidewalk heights to get numbers as close as possible.

https://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Message 56 of 215
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Schwartzinator wrote:

Noice! 10% more efficiency isn't worth those ugly covers.

Range anxiety is something a lot of owners seem to fixate on, but realistically won't ever run into an issue. I for one, definitely don't mind trading style for efficeiency. Chances are, if you really need the roughly 7 miles extra the Aero wheels give, you were probably going to run out anyway.

😂😂😂 I like your style

Message 57 of 215
Mv350
Valued Contributor

'72 STD Beetle'72 STD Beetle

These things are my favorite to work on. Cheap, easy to work on, tons of them! You can lift the engine out with a friend. The ideas are limitless. This one I picked up was a salvage title, so I turned it into a ratbuggy

Message 58 of 215
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I don't see many bugs or beetles anymore. Such fun cars.

Message 59 of 215
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I don't see many bugs or beetles anymore. Such fun cars.

as a kid the old ones were great for slushing in the winter if you were lucky enough to have one drive by, the rear bumper had the convenient handlebars 

'67 Beetle License Plate Bracket | 1967 VW Beetle

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 60 of 215
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.