Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Real) Pictures of Credit Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

(Real) Pictures of Credit Cards

Just a random question about taking a picture of a credit card. If someone were to take a picture of their card and post it, obviously they would want to cover up obvious identifiable information... but I've also seen pictures where people purposely conceal the chip/magnetic strip. Is this necessary? Are there security risks if these aren't covered up?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: (Real) Pictures of Credit Cards

No information can be obtained from a mag stripe or EMV chip from a photograph.  EMV chips can only be read electronically.  Mag stripes do have magnetic data that can be seen visually, but you would need physical access to the card and chemicals in order to reveal it.

Message 2 of 6
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Not sure why one would want to post a picture of the actual card ?

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jnbmom wrote:

Not sure why one would want to post a picture of the actual card ?

The examples that lead to my question were someone posting a picture in an approval or discussion thread, and some "customer pictures" on Etsy of people who bought custom credit card skins. Another example that comes to mind would be maybe a credit card unboxing/review video on YouTube.

And ty @K-in-Boston for the answer!

Message 4 of 6
mxp114
Valued Contributor

A lot of us love looking at the actual cards. I love seeing real pictures of cards. The official artwork doesn't always do a good job of showcasing a card. 

Message 5 of 6
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Another example would be my signature.  Since I'm a veteran, PenFed decided to send my replacement Power Cash Rewards (the first had expired) with the flag design rather than the blue everyone else has (and I had).  There is no image of that variation anywhere on their website, so I Photoshopped out my name, expiration date and most of the card number (first six digits are the same BIN for everyone) to use in my signature.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.